DHS ReDo (August 2014)

Fractal514

I'd hope that GMR wasn't in the firing line. It needs love, not destroying.

Call it what you want, but it needs a gutting of the "storyline." Get rid of the actors and either do a pre-record or a cast member who only has to narrate, not try to act (and usually fail).

With the storyline removed, you would need to do some work to fix the gaps left behind. I know that folks want to suggest that this ride only needs a little love, but the central concept of the ride, the tram being taken over by the "movies" is flawed in its current form and needs work. Not addressing that is merely slapping a Band-Aid on a potentially fatal wound. This ride COULD be a GREAT movie ride, it is currently a Mediocre Movie Ride. My $0.02 anyway...

pumpkin7

Call it what you want, but it needs a gutting of the "storyline." Get rid of the actors and either do a pre-record or a cast member who only has to narrate, not try to act (and usually fail).

With the storyline removed, you would need to do some work to fix the gaps left behind. I know that folks want to suggest that this ride only needs a little love, but the central concept of the ride, the tram being taken over by the "movies" is flawed in its current form and needs work. Not addressing that is merely slapping a Band-Aid on a potentially fatal wound. This ride COULD be a GREAT movie ride, it is currently a Mediocre Movie Ride. My $0.02 anyway...

Yeah true, if you get a bad/uninterested CM, then it does take a lot of fun out of it. So I do agree with you there.

Fractal514

I would be beyond upset if they got rid of the CMs. It makes the ride when you get someone good.
While I do agree that a good CM can make it, it's really a good PAIR that you need, not just one, which reduces the chances significantly. Also, female Mugsy? What the what?!? Doesn't work, specifically because they are escaping from a movie era where there would NOT have been a female gangster, at least not one dressed that way.

My own experience is that I have not had a good pair of CM's on this ride since my honeymoon in 2007. I heard somewhere that the problem is that it used to be considered an entertainment job (same pool as Citizens of Hollywood), and now it's an attractions operations job (same as folks who operate Star Tours), or something like that. Does anyone know if that's true?

Buried20KLeague

I just have to say thank god the people in this thread suggesting indoor dueling X Wing and Tie Fighter spinners don't work at imagineering. What a waste of an amazing concept :hungover: Anything short of that huge indoor dueling coaster would be a waste of the idea.
View attachment 61654
If an all ages ride is needed, I would LOVE to see that idea that popped up some time ago of a dark ride through the greatest moments of Star Wars. If a flat ride is truly needed, Land Speeders would be the way to go. But nothing simple like Dumbo or Mater. Maybe a DHS version of the Speedway with Tatooine scenery that rivals Cars Land. THAT is how you make highly themed rides worthy of the Star Wars name.

My point, like @Maerj said, is that if they're going to add a spinner, that it be something like he suggested rather than a plain spinner plopped in the center of the area (as they're prone to do). It wasn't intended as a sole indoor addition to SW land, or as being in exchange for a major e-ticket based on the SW franchise.

Also, I'm almost positive the design you posted wasn't Disney's... It was a fan's. Or maybe a ride designer that put that on his website as an idea. I can't totally recall. Either way, it wasn't Disney's. And also, if I recall, when that came out a good number of people blew holes in the concept for a number of different reasons.

I also wonder if any type of "dueling" coaster would make it past the lawyers considering there's now a precedent at IOA with the Dragon Challenge no longer being dispatched together for guest safety concerns.

VulcanCafe

So many comments here got me frustrated.

If DHS is getting a $700+ million redo and an elaborately themed Star Wars area, do you really think you will see a X-Wing spinner next to Star Tours?

I imagine a scenario where the Jedi Training Academy expands into a side area of its own, including the current interactive attraction, and adds child friendly Jedi 'flight simulators' aka X-Wing spinners off to the side. Once you are done at the academy you can graduate to using the force throughout the area. Seems awesome, doesn't it? Total guess, but people here are already trashing this based on rumors. LOL?

I can understand how years of tacked on theming could jade some Disney fans, but the DCA redo may show a more accurate path forward. A very successful overall area.

Mike S

While I do agree that a good CM can make it, it's really a good PAIR that you need, not just one, which reduces the chances significantly. Also, female Mugsy? What the what?!? Doesn't work, specifically because they are escaping from a movie era where there would NOT have been a female gangster, at least not one dressed that way.

My own experience is that I have not had a good pair of CM's on this ride since my honeymoon in 2007. I heard somewhere that the problem is that it used to be considered an entertainment job (same pool as Citizens of Hollywood), and now it's an attractions operations job (same as folks who operate Star Tours), or something like that. Does anyone know if that's true?
Female Mugsy is strange for me too. I still would hate losing them completely.

Buried20KLeague

The solution shouldn't be to remove the component... It should be to FIX it. Hire the right people (entertainment vs. ops). Have a couple versions of NEW storylines based on male vs. female. Appropriate costumes.

It wouldn't be that hard.

Buried20KLeague

So many comments here got me frustrated.

If DHS is getting a $700+ million redo and an elaborately themed Star Wars area, do you really think you will see a X-Wing spinner next to Star Tours?

I imagine a scenario where the Jedi Training Academy expands into a side area of its own, including the current interactive attraction, and adds child friendly Jedi 'flight simulators' aka X-Wing spinners off to the side. Once you are done at the academy you can graduate to using the force throughout the area. Seems awesome, doesn't it? Total guess, but people here are already trashing this based on rumors. LOL?

I can understand how years of tacked on theming could jade some Disney fans, but the DCA redo may show a more accurate path forward. A very successful overall area.

The DCA theming was at a MUCH higher pricetag... THREE TIMES this rumored $700 mill. And that $700 reportedly isn't just for SWL.

It seems realistic and logical that as far as SW goes, you'll probably see the Cantina, a themed area (a la Diagon), M&G's, a spinner, and a D or E. If the number of $700 is real, and it's for improvements to the entire park, you won't get anything more than that. And I would put my money on a D rather than E.

I would love to be proved wrong.

Mike S

My point, like @Maerj said, is that if they're going to add a spinner, that it be something like he suggested rather than a plain spinner plopped in the center of the area (as they're prone to do). It wasn't intended as a sole indoor addition to SW land, or as being in exchange for a major e-ticket based on the SW franchise.

Also, I'm almost positive the design you posted wasn't Disney's... It was a fan's. Or maybe a ride designer that put that on his website as an idea. I can't totally recall. Either way, it wasn't Disney's. And also, if I recall, when that came out a good number of people blew holes in the concept for a number of different reasons.

I also wonder if any type of "dueling" coaster would make it past the lawyers considering there's now a precedent at IOA with the Dragon Challenge no longer being dispatched together for guest safety concerns.
I wasn't saying that idea was Disney's, I know it isn't. I was just saying how the idea of a ride based on the idea of X Wings vs. Tie Fighters would be wasted if it was a spinner, any kind of spinner.

Buried20KLeague

I wasn't saying that idea was Disney's, I know it isn't. I was just saying how the idea of a ride based on the idea of X Wings vs. Tie Fighters would be wasted if it was a spinner, any kind of spinner.

But if I spinner IS going to be a part of this land (which I would bet is a certainty), wouldn't you rather see it as he described it as opposed to outdoors, in a walkway like the carpets? That's my point.

A reality is that the park is very light on things to do for little kids. I absolutely guarantee this will be addressed in any park additions in the near future.

Mike S

But if I spinner IS going to be a part of this land (which I would bet is a certainty), wouldn't you rather see it as he described it as opposed to outdoors, in a walkway like the carpets? That's my point.

A reality is that the park is very light on things to do for little kids. I absolutely guarantee this will be addressed in any park additions in the near future.
It would be preferable but I would still be upset. The very idea of that ride screams thrilling E Ticket to me. Give the kids a Land Speeder speedway.

PeterAlt

(infamous) Jim Hill spoke about the DHS redo on the Disney Dish podcast. http://podbay.fm/show/452620851/e/1407646860?autostart=1

Discuss and take with grains of salt.

Highlights:

- Steve Davison is working on a new Illuminations for 2016-ish.
- DHS huge redo is a 5+ year build. First is Star Wars
- Osborne lights could be renamed and tinkered with
- Mystic Manor tech coming to Studios
- Maelstrom Closing For Frozen
- Great Movie Ride's Removal and a "Very Cool" Removal
- Spinners and B Tickets For Families in DHS
- Hollywood/Dine and Indy stays from Echo Lake.
- A Star Wars tatooine "street" from Echo Lake Remains w/restaurants, shops, Jedi Academy in Sounds Dangerous. will be totally immersive star wars experience. Using the force like Potter's wands including the dark side of the force.
- An X-Wing spinner: you go up and down and open the wings. Cantina will be there. Star Tours stays as is.
- Imagineers toured Diagon Alley. 700 million star wars budget.
- Next 5 Years an Arms-Race For Theme Parks
That's generally good news, but why did they have to fry poor GMR like that?

elchippo

Why not combine the spinner/blaster ride concepts? Two spinners (one Imperial, one Rebel), going opposite directions- you shoot at the other spinner, and a score is kept in some way. Everyone riding in your spinner is on your side, and at the end, points are tallied and its determined if Rebels or Imperials win. Boom!

GrumpyFan

Why not combine the spinner/blaster ride concepts? Two spinners (one Imperial, one Rebel), going opposite directions- you shoot at the other spinner, and a score is kept in some way. Everyone riding in your spinner is on your side, and at the end, points are tallied and its determined if Rebels or Imperials win. Boom!

Not a bad idea!

Alternatively though, how about a spinner in the midst of a coaster (shooting/scoring optional). The spinner itself could be a big version of the millenium falcon or a rebel battle station with firing bays and the coaster could be imperial fighters flying around. All of this would be inside a large building and take place in near darkness.

VulcanCafe

The DCA theming was at a MUCH higher pricetag... THREE TIMES this rumored $700 mill. And that $700 reportedly isn't just for SWL.
I would love to be proved wrong.

All I can find is an original estimate of 600 million and many sources with a final cost of 1.1 billion for the DCA redo. (USA Today, LA Times, and the definitive Wikipedia)

What was the real capital expense above and beyond the normal paint and maintenance?

KingdomofDreams

I would really hate to see the GMR axed. It does need updating with some serious love, but it would be such a shame to lose it.

Spinners... blech... cheap cop-outs instead of a real experience. Anyone can ride a spinner at a carnival or their state fair. When I travel to Disney and lay out the big bucks I expect to experience what I can't find anywhere else.

lebeau

I would really hate to see the GMR axed. It does need updating with some serious love, but it would be such a shame to lose it.

Spinners... blech... cheap cop-outs instead of a real experience. Anyone can ride a spinner at a carnival or their state fair. When I travel to Disney and lay out the big bucks I expect to experience what I can't find anywhere else.

I'll worry about the GMR when we have something more substantial to go on.

RSoxNo1

He definitly said they are considering putting frozen in philarmagic. In one of those webshows again I don't know which one (he has a lot). But he mentioned it with that one guy. He said they are toying around with bringing it in there and making that attraction something akin to different scenes everytime you watch it. In the same episode he gets off track and begins to talk about the legend of the lion king.
Yes, he absolutely said that Frozen additions are coming to PhilharMagic. He DID NOT say it was coming in the September refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom