DHS ReDo (August 2014)

roj2323

Wonder if the trackless ride system can be installed into Great Movie Ride? He wouldn't and couldn't say what would replace GMR (if anything does at all), but, would it be out of the realm of possibility that, it does become Frozen's main dark ride? Remove the hat (or relocate it), retheme the theater into the ice castle from Frozen, give the movie a major e-ticket dark ride, using the trackless system, like SeaWorld does with the penguins. You are sliding on the ice in Arendelle. Ice Castle now the park's weenie, and here you now have MK 3.0 (Epcot is MK 2.0).

But, how much would that clash with Star Wars, cause, looking at the map, it seems Star Wars land boundary comes very close.
GMR is currently a trackless system so I don't see why not. I'd honesty rather not think about it however as the ride almost always has a wait and it's still a great attraction. It just needs some love (updates and a thorough cleaning) and it would be fine for another 10-15 years.

Captain Chaos

GMR is currently a trackless system so I don't see why not. I'd honesty rather not think about it however as the ride almost always has a wait and it's still a great attraction. It just needs some love (updates and a thorough cleaning) and it would be fine for another 10-15 years.
Totally agree. GMR is a great ride. Just, as you said, it needs some love.

Wags14

I agree. My family enjoys this ride. Perhaps just a little TLC with a significant update/makeover would do this ride justice.

As far as the other SW information goes, I really hope there will be more than just a spinner ride as the sole new ride added to SW Land. However, I can see the need for a spinner ride and the young kids will enjoy one in DHS. There really needs to be a solid "A" or "B" ride added as well. Can't wait to hear actual factual information regarding a DHS redo, exciting stuff!

ClassicMickeyFan

I like the way you think, this would be a fun idea.
I'm against any more spinners!

Except the X-Wing Fighter spinner, I'd love that. A TIE Fighter spinner right next to it would be cool as well, especially if they made it so that you could shoot at the people on the opposite spinner. Also put them in the dark, with a star field. Two separate entrances...one an Imperial Recruitment center and one for the Rebellion.

SpaceMountain77

During the podcast, I could not help but wonder if the talk of A- and B-ticket attractions meant a return to Superstar Limo quality attractions. Nothing was said that made be feel positive about future directions at DHS.

For me, the closure of Sid's marked the end of DHS.

GrumpyFan

It could have changed the landscape of society as we know it. Walt revolutionized theme parks. His concept for a 'city of tomorrow' could have equally revolutionized how we live our everyday lives. Self sustaining communities, working together to make progress. If we hope to ever become an advanced species that doesn't have greed, hunger, poor, or illnesses, then we should follow Walts vision as a stepping stone.

I think "could have" is the operative phrase here. The plan was kind of a utopian pipe dream, and would have required a lot of money and cooperation by other businesses and individuals to make it work. The problem with pulling a bunch of people and businesses together is that everyone wants something different for their own selfish motivations. Interestingly, one of the things that makes WDW and its government, Reedy Creek, work is the lack of a community (people and other businesses) to vote on ordinances and regulations within the district. It's pretty much just a corporate owned and controlled community.

Hula Popper

It could have changed the landscape of society as we know it. Walt revolutionized theme parks. His concept for a 'city of tomorrow' could have equally revolutionized how we live our everyday lives. Self sustaining communities, working together to make progress. If we hope to ever become an advanced species that doesn't have greed, hunger, poor, or illnesses, then we should follow Walts vision as a stepping stone.

We need places like WDW to "escape reality" because we get so stressed from our everyday lives. I think Walt wanted to build a world where we didn't need that "escape". He was onto something. I think many corporations are glad his vision never became reality because the industrial complexes in place today would crumble in a world such as Uncle Walt envisioned.

LOL

Ignohippo

The way Jim explained it is that it's being deliberately delayed to give them a second wave of attendance.

Thanks Captain Obvious!

(and that's not a dig to you at all RSox1, just a reaction to the complete stupidity of Disney's way of thinking lately. I'm sure that's why they delayed the Mine Train too and it had much more to do with getting people to renew their annual passes than budget reasons - as many speculate. The budget reasons were just another benefit)

Ignohippo

Maybe they should go with a landspeeder spinner instead of an X-Wing? Then they could keep the old HS theme of how movies are made. As the landspeeder itself was a bit of a spinner in how it worked behind the scenes.
75.jpg

Except a land speeder doesn't and shouldn't go up and down - which would make for an incredibly lame ride.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I feel like DHS is fishing for a mission. Removing classic movies from the GMR just makes it seem like a very disjointed park with little purpose. It's missing its soul. It needs to reimagined and redesigned. Removing the Indiana show and the backlot tour are more symptoms of moving away from its overall theme.
He did say they are getting rid of the notion that this is a park that focuses on recording tv shows etc and turning it into a theme park. perhaps that meant a rehaul of the actual theme itself?

doctornick

No, but it does prevent it from being as immersive as potter.

That seems silly. How would Mater's prevent Cars Land from being as immersive, but the giant roller coaster tracks from Dragon Challenge don't have the same or worse impact on Harry Potter?

(Note: I personally don't think either of them are issues, just that it seems like pretty selective criticism)

Last edited:

RayTheFirefly

We need places like WDW to "escape reality" because we get so stressed from our everyday lives. I think Walt wanted to build a world where we didn't need that "escape". He was onto something. I think many corporations are glad his vision never became reality because the industrial complexes in place today would crumble in a world such as Uncle Walt envisioned.
Walt wasn't the only one to come up with ideas like that. But it certainly would have been amazing, wouldn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songdo_International_Business_District

lobelia

He did say they are getting rid of the notion that this is a park that focuses on recording tv shows etc and turning it into a theme park. perhaps that meant a rehaul of the actual theme itself?
Yeah. I guess that's really my point. Get rid of the theme regarding making films or shows and it's not all that different than MK. I like that the park honors the history of films. Taking out the GMR takes that out. I just don't see how you keep the same vision for the park with out recognizing film making history. I'm not sure what the mission becomes without it. MK has rides that immerse you in movies. How would this be different at DHS without including film making?

JustInTime

"Using the force like Potters wands" - So, Disney is now learning from Universal? Thats a damn shame. And after having Imagineers tour Diagon Alley, what do they learn about an immersive land? That building spinners is the way to go!!!
Actually Disney did it first with sorcerers of the magic kingdom. The wands are almost the same. :)

CJR

I don't see GMR going anywhere, maybe an upgrade, but it's one of the few rides in the park right now that cater to families of all ages. While I'm sure Disney will invest more in family rides, it makes no sense to remove one that's already there and has a high capacity. Even today, there are times when the ride pulls a decent wait.

I'm not saying there's no truth to these "rumors", but a lot of it sounds like what was once said about Epcot. Disney's not one to waste money and replacing GMR doesn't add as much as some other things would.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom