DHS ReDo (August 2014)

Mike S

I just have to say thank god the people in this thread suggesting indoor dueling X Wing and Tie Fighter spinners don't work at imagineering. What a waste of an amazing concept :hungover: Anything short of that huge indoor dueling coaster would be a waste of the idea.
image.jpg

If an all ages ride is needed, I would LOVE to see that idea that popped up some time ago of a dark ride through the greatest moments of Star Wars. If a flat ride is truly needed, Land Speeders would be the way to go. But nothing simple like Dumbo or Mater. Maybe a DHS version of the Speedway with Tatooine scenery that rivals Cars Land. THAT is how you make highly themed rides worthy of the Star Wars name.

tribbleorlfl

I remember reading a couple years ago about Disney filing a patent for a Spinner 2.0 ride system. Essentially, there would be a long center axl, parallel to the ground (instead of perpendicular like a traditional spinner) with multiple ride vehicles attatched along the length of the axl. The ride vehicles would be user controlled and spin around the axl, with video projected all around to simulate movement. Furthermore, I believe it could also feature interactive and scoring elements with the ride vehicles in front of you.

Seems to be an X-wing vs Tie Fighter dog fight over the Death Star (and then in the trenches) seems to be a logical extension of this ride system.

ABQ

Yep ! they are even filming out here in ('armpit of the cultural universe' - just kidding my fellow okies) Oklahoma..."August Osage County"...anyone ?? There is nothing like catching a glimpse of luscious Benjamin Cumberbach at the home of the local piano teacher...
Wow, that's an awesome description of OK! Just kidding, I have some friends there. But I thought they couldn't get any lower in filming destinations than here in New Mexico. But they did film Avengers here, among other locations. At least that film didn't glorify the crystal meth industry the way Breaking Bad did.

Travel Junkie

A lot of studios are moving out of California due to how badly that state is struggling. New Orleans is a growing hotbed of activity, as is Atlanta, and North Carolina as an entire state. NOLA is a swamp, seems to be working out alright for them. Atlanta is also fairly close to Florida. North Carolina is a right to work state which makes it easier for union/non-union connection. LA and NYC being the ONLY places for work is just not correct anymore, and there are certainly places other than Florida that should be considered "career suicide".

With love,
Philadelphia (also a great place for TV, Film, and Theatre ;) )

Don’t confuse filming with the rest of the entertainment infrastructure. A lot of filming has left California, which hurts the crews that live here. The rest of the Hollywood machine remains entrenched in Southern California.

tl77

I just have to say thank god the people in this thread suggesting indoor dueling X Wing and Tie Fighter spinners don't work at imagineering. What a waste of an amazing concept :hungover: Anything short of that huge indoor dueling coaster would be a waste of the idea.
View attachment 61654
If an all ages ride is needed, I would LOVE to see that idea that popped up some time ago of a dark ride through the greatest moments of Star Wars. If a flat ride is truly needed, Land Speeders would be the way to go. But nothing simple like Dumbo or Mater. Maybe a DHS version of the Speedway with Tatooine scenery that rivals Cars Land. THAT is how you make highly themed rides worthy of the Star Wars name.

This type of ride sounds like the most likely Star Wars Land rumors to me, and if this most recent stuff is true I think it would probably end up some thing like this
star-wars-land1.jpg

Maerj

I actually think they could do something really cool with this, potentially. Good idea.

And with a storyline of it being a training facility for young padawans (sp?) they could make the theming and story work. Easily, really.

Indoors like that, you could have a projected starfield, occasional ships go by, etc... That could be really cool for little ones.

Just make sure the vehicles are big enough for adults as well as I think that this would appeal to some of us too! ;)

GrumpyFan

He would not have built EPCOT the theme park.
EXACTLY! Walt's vision of EPCOT was nothing like what we currently have.
It always bothers me when people throw the WWWD card, because, I think if he had live another 10-20 years, he might have bankrupted the company with his vision for a future city, and it surely wouldn't be anything at all like what we currently have in WDW. So, in some way I'm glad his plan wasn't built to his vision.
That's not to say I dislike the Progess City/EPCOT concept, but I just don't know how it would have held up throughout the remainder of the 20th century.

Maerj

View attachment 61654

Even though I am against more spinners, I suggested the dueling spinners since the original article said that they were going to do a spinner as part of this new land. IF they were to do a spinner, I would rather have an indoor dueling spinner with some special effects rather than just a plain spinner like the other ones that they have around WDW.

Mike S

Even though I am against more spinners, I suggested the dueling spinners since the original article said that they were going to do a spinner as part of this new land. IF they were to do a spinner, I would rather have an indoor dueling spinner with some special effects rather than just a plain spinner like the other ones that they have around WDW.
Yes, it would be better than a plain spinner. But is that really the best we can get from the company that has proven it can do so much better? Even if that is exactly what is built, it would still be a huge disappointment from the perspective of any Disney fan who isn't borderline overdosing on Pixie Dust. We should expect and demand better.

flyerjab

Hearing this more recent podcast, I looked at the listing of Jim Hill's podcasts and re-listened to one he did a little over a year ago regarding Star Wars coming to DHS (this was before it was discovered how far over budget MM+ had gone, killing any current momentum for a Star Wars Land expansion).

I'll list the things he talks about with @lentesta during the 2013 podcast for Star Wars that were reiterated during this more recent 2014 podcast regarding the sweeping changes to DHS supposedly scheduled for the next 5+ years:
  1. Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are staying
  2. Tatooine, specifically the Mos Eisley spaceport with the Cantina restaurant/bar, taking the place of Echo Lake
  3. CMs dressed as Star Wars extras (i.e., jawas, wookies, stormtroopers, etc) walking around adding to the immersiveness of the land
  4. The ability to use the 'force' via magic bands to interact with elements
  5. Hollywood and Vine most likely staying
  6. X-wing spinner ride
  7. Shops/dining opportunities
  8. Larger Jedi Training Academy
Some of the things mentioned in 2013 that he danced around or simply did not talk about in the 2014 podcast:
  1. Speederbike E-ticket attraction - this was the only real thing that was painfully absent from the 2014 podcast. He really harped on this in the 2013 show, talking about the hourly throughput, uniqueness of the ride experience, etc.
The one thing I can say about this is that early on in the 2014 podcast, he mentions that as a result of the complete overhaul of the park, there will be multiple ride additions. Later into the podcast, when speaking specifically about Star Wars, he mentions A, B, and C Ticket level attractions. However, earlier in the podcast he talks about the addition of several E-Ticket attractions.

Aside from Star Wars, the one thing that he mentioned that intrigued me was that the trackless ride system used in HKDL and DLP was going to debut in DHS. That is one rumor that would be neat if it were true.

Maerj

Yes, it would be better than a plain spinner. But is that really the best we can get from the company that has proven it can do so much better? Even if that is exactly what is built, it would still be a huge disappointment from the perspective of any Disney fan who isn't borderline overdosing on Pixie Dust. We should expect and demand better.

And I hope that they really knock our socks off and make the best, the most heavily themed, high tech, immersive experience possible. If they do decide to make a simple spinner ride for the little ones, hopefully its heavily themed and fun.

DC0703

I fear that the spinner will be yet another re-skin of Dumbo. There is such an enormous number of variations in the amusement park world when it comes to spinning flat rides, but Disney Orlando prefers to make the same ride over and over again, just with a different theme.

Mike S

I fear that the spinner will be yet another re-skin of Dumbo. There is such an enormous number of variations in the amusement park world when it comes to spinning flat rides, but Disney Orlando prefers to make the same ride over and over again, just with a different theme.
Can we expect any less from TDO?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember reading a couple years ago about Disney filing a patent for a Spinner 2.0 ride system. Essentially, there would be a long center axl, parallel to the ground (instead of perpendicular like a traditional spinner) with multiple ride vehicles attatched along the length of the axl. The ride vehicles would be user controlled and spin around the axl, with video projected all around to simulate movement. Furthermore, I believe it could also feature interactive and scoring elements with the ride vehicles in front of you.

Seems to be an X-wing vs Tie Fighter dog fight over the Death Star (and then in the trenches) seems to be a logical extension of this ride system.
479063_528712370505905_1340660050_o.jpg

roj2323

This type of ride sounds like the most likely Star Wars Land rumors to me, and if this most recent stuff is true I think it would probably end up some thing like this
star-wars-land1.jpg

The problem with your plan is you knock out one of the largest bathrooms in the area. Your spinner is sitting over the shed restroom which is Highly used and would be even busier once any remodel was completed. Also what would prevent them from re-theming ABC commissary into the Cantina and use the old back lot express area for the spinner/dark ride. Third, your dark ride entry point would block back stage access for the parades and it would cut off the perimeter road which is heavily used.

It's not that I don't like your plan, I just wanted to point out some major issues.

Captain Chaos

Aside from Star Wars, the one thing that he mentioned that intrigued me was that the trackless ride system used in HKDL and DLP was going to debut in DHS. That is one rumor that would be neat if it were true.
Wonder if the trackless ride system can be installed into Great Movie Ride? He wouldn't and couldn't say what would replace GMR (if anything does at all), but, would it be out of the realm of possibility that, it does become Frozen's main dark ride? Remove the hat (or relocate it), retheme the theater into the ice castle from Frozen, give the movie a major e-ticket dark ride, using the trackless system, like SeaWorld does with the penguins. You are sliding on the ice in Arendelle. Ice Castle now the park's weenie, and here you now have MK 3.0 (Epcot is MK 2.0).

But, how much would that clash with Star Wars, cause, looking at the map, it seems Star Wars land boundary comes very close.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
EXACTLY! I'm glad his plan wasn't built to his vision.
That's not to say I dislike the Progess City/EPCOT concept, but I just don't know how it would have held up throughout the remainder of the 20th century.

It could have changed the landscape of society as we know it. Walt revolutionized theme parks. His concept for a 'city of tomorrow' could have equally revolutionized how we live our everyday lives. Self sustaining communities, working together to make progress. If we hope to ever become an advanced species that doesn't have greed, hunger, poor, or illnesses, then we should follow Walts vision as a stepping stone.

We need places like WDW to "escape reality" because we get so stressed from our everyday lives. I think Walt wanted to build a world where we didn't need that "escape". He was onto something. I think many corporations are glad his vision never became reality because the industrial complexes in place today would crumble in a world such as Uncle Walt envisioned.

jt04

star-wars-land1.jpg

Agreed. Plus the Indy pad...............someday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom