DHS Permits

P_Radden

Well if this is true, it had better coincide with the monorail exterior & cabins getting extensively refurbished as well. Would look terrible to have a nice new gondola system but still run the same old worn out and beat up monorail trains.

Slowjack

Gosh, when I made the Skyway joke, I was really joking. I didn't think that could possibly be the right answer. For the curious, the designated area outside the DHS entrance is plenty big enough for that purpose--here's a quick pasting of the Tomorrowland Skyway building there:
View media item 2778Based on the sizes, if this is a Skyway, the building at DHS is a terminus, and the buildings south of Boardwalk and on the NW corner of Caribbean Beach are turns. The building in the SW quadrant of Caribbean Beach is the largest of all, though, and I wonder if that would make it a transfer station--one cable headed west to DHS, and one heading north to eventually reach Epcot.

P_Radden

But the question remains where will the southward line from the CBR station terminate? Shouldn't another new building be seen down at AoA & Pop?

FerretAfros

For what it's worth, just this Friday Arlington, VA turned down a proposal to build a gondola across the Potomac River to Georgetown in Washington, DC. The proposal was expected to cost $80-90M to build, with $2-3M annually in operations costs. It would span approximately 3,000', including a slight turn. It was intended to be used primarily for transit; the hills are too extreme for rail, and the historic bridge poses difficulties for adding street capacity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c2cf509efe5_story.html?utm_term=.bfbbbffd4a99

The "theoretical" WDW spans shown in this thread vary between 2,500' and 3,900'. Presumably it would be cheaper to build and operate a system entirely on private land, but Disney would certainly add some bells and whistles to make it more than a standard transit experience; it's also a much more extensive system than the single-line Rosslyn-Georgetown proposal

TiggerDad

I think that overflow parking lot on the south side of the resort is likely the answer.
Each of the other lines is characterized by them filling in bodies of water immediately under the line, so this would cause significant disruption to the lake between POP/AOA. From a logistics perspective, it would make more sense to have the terminal in the middle, but that would also require fill.

I'm assuming that @danlb_2000 will soon hear of a permit for that area. I'm guessing it's a different watershed, so that's why it would be permitted separately.

Also, I thought the CBR permit showed two diagonal lines heading south from the rectangle.

jt04

upload_2017-2-13_18-1-3-png.189527

I'm also not sure I understand the location of the boardwalk parking lot turning point. Surely there was a better/shorter alternative? How far does this rabbit hole go? What about those balloons at Fantasia Gardens...

I was thinking the same thing. Hub?

P_Radden

Each of the other lines is characterized by them filling in bodies of water immediately under the line, so this would cause significant disruption to the lake between POP/AOA. From a logistics perspective, it would make more sense to have the terminal in the middle, but that would also require fill.

I'm assuming that @danlb_2000 will soon hear of a permit for that area. I'm guessing it's a different watershed, so that's why it would be permitted separately.

Also, I thought the CBR permit showed two diagonal lines heading south from the rectangle.
Looks to me like they have 3 options for an AoA/Pop station:
AoAGondola.jpg

Obviously the middle location where the bridge currently is would be most convenient for guests of both resorts. The northern most parking lot would be least expensive being closest to the CBR building. The south lot would cost more due to the longer distance from CBR building.

If I have to guess, they'll go with the northern parking lot.

Last edited:

peter11435

I don't think they would fill in the water at the resort. There is just no reason to have it go over water in the other areas because it's backstage and the area already needs to be reconstructed to accommodate the expanded retention ponds.

There are two lines shown which is suspicious but perhaps the eastern one is just to maintain the tree line visible from Trinidad south

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But the question remains where will the southward line from the CBR station terminate? Shouldn't another new building be seen down at AoA & Pop?

The permits are definitely missing pieces. The distance between the buildings is to long to go without support pylons and there is no evidence of these on the permits either, so I think this is a case these permits not covering all the pieces.

P_Radden

Okay, the more I think about this, the more it does make sense. I believe the big CBR building will be like the hub or central station with 3 branches leading to DHS, International Gateway, and AoA/Pop station in the northern parking lot.

I have redrawn the map to include what we know now (yellow) and what we are suspecting (light green)
Gondola.jpg

A couple of points about this:
1) I suspect the International Gateway terminal will be built on the land where the old tram turn around is. Although technically there is enough room between BC and Epcot Resorts Blvd for it be built on that side. EDIT: It has to be the International Gateway side, because corner of Boardwalk Resort Convention Center is blocking a straight line from the tram pivot building seen on the permit to the pad next to BC:
saase.jpg

2) The line to International Gateway will pass right against where the Ratatouille building will go behind France.
3) I suspect the gondola cabs may be enclosed with similar to Hogwarts train due to the fact that they will go over backstage WS, unless they spend money sprucing up the WS backstage areas that will be visible.
4) Could CBR be in for a total overhaul in theme? I have never seen a gondola in the Caribbean

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

TiggerDad

Okay, the more I think about this, the more it does make sense. I believe the big CBR building will be like the hub or central station with 3 branches leading to DHS, International Gateway, and AoA/Pop station in the northern parking lot.

I have redrawn the map to include what we know now (yellow) and what we are suspecting (light green)
View attachment 189637

A couple of points about this:
1) I suspect the International Gateway terminal will be built on the land where the old tram turn around is. Although technically there is enough room between BC and Epcot Resorts Blvd for it be built on that side. EDIT: It has to be the International Gateway side, because corner of Boardwalk Resort building is blocking a straight line from the tram pivot building seen on the permit to the pad next to BC.
View attachment 189642

2) The line to International Gateway will pass right against where the Ratatouille building will go behind France.
3) I suspect the gondola cabs may be enclosed with similar to Hogwarts train due to the fact that they will go over backstage WS, unless they spend money sprucing up the WS backstage areas that will be visible.
4) Could CBR be in for a total overhaul in theme? I have never seen a gondola in the Caribbean
You and @danlb_2000 have done great jobs with maps showing the layout. Kudos on that. What you might want to do is look over the CBR thread because there is also a lot of detail there about demolishing several villages to build a large building adjacent (east) to the station by Sea Breeze Dr on your map, and discussion about how much of CBR will be leveled to create something new and great (possibly DVC). But hints that some of CBR will be retained in some form. That could explain two stations for what is now CBR.

Also, I think the southern line is shown as slightly angled down to POP/AOA, rather than due south as you have it. I suspect an endpoint in the middle of those resorts, rather than parking lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom