DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

build_it

So, from the look of the new bus drop-off/pick-up, no shade structures. I was kind of hoping they were going to fix that with this....

Lensman

So, from the look of the new bus drop-off/pick-up, no shade structures. I was kind of hoping they were going to fix that with this....
Are you giving up already? :)

Can we safely assume that there will not be any covering structure from the current state of the slabs for the furthest stops? My two thoughts are:
1. When they constructed the stops before, did they pour a solid slab then put up the covering structure or did they install anchors first then pour the slab?
2. Would Disney leave non-Disney transportation with uncovered stops and only construct the cover for their own buses?

I guess we will see in the next few weeks.

build_it

Sorry, I didn't realize those were for the charter buses. That makes sense. Happy they are improving that for the onsite transportation. I always thought the current structures, while stylized to match the park, weren't all that useful in providing shade.

On a side note, I need to join the bioreconstruct fan club. I always love the photos.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

A5E07418-531D-40C0-B979-53A7C79A489C.jpeg
248B3BB8-FB6D-4221-853C-12E0562DA9C6.jpeg
0986A2B7-55C4-4DC4-87B0-F2147374FDAD.jpeg
01F207E7-EC80-4732-A951-0027EB5A6E52.jpeg
9CC14772-E11B-4037-8072-942B670516BA.jpeg

Attachments

• 53382F79-6CC6-4218-B5B6-08484C84B719.jpeg
    53382F79-6CC6-4218-B5B6-08484C84B719.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 265

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, July 22, 2018. Ground level views of the new bus terminal construction as Hollywood Studios. Long shelter under construction and landscaping installed in some areas. Not sure what the extensive scaffolding is all about. Appears to be a temporary wall separating bus terminals (see plywood and green at lower part of scaffolding). Notice the new silver-colored light poles and fixtures.

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Photo update as of Sunday, July 22, 2018. Ground level views of the new bus terminal construction as Hollywood Studios. Long shelter under construction and landscaping installed in some areas. Not sure what the extensive scaffolding is all about. Appears to be a temporary wall separating bus terminals (see plywood and green at lower part of scaffolding). Notice the new silver-colored light poles and fixtures.

View attachment 297900

View attachment 297901

View attachment 297902

Maybe the scaffolding is there because they plan to paint the structure. The scaffolding would allow them to tarp everything off which they spray the paint.

Lensman

View attachment 297900

View attachment 297901

View attachment 297902
Is this the peninsula where based on current construction it looks like one side of the peninsula is going to have shelters for Disney transportation and the other half will not have shelters for offsite transportation? If so, I had two thoughts:
1. Are they really going to emphasize this haves vs have-nots aspect? I can see how it would be hard to do otherwise but this is pretty in-your-face.
2. How are they going to keep the have-nots from clogging up the covered area that is right next to their uncovered bus stop?

This makes me think that they *might* try to put up some kind of modesty barrier between the two sides of that peninsula. Maybe a trellis for plants? Could this be part of the work for that?

peter11435

Is this the peninsula where based on current construction it looks like one side of the peninsula is going to have shelters for Disney transportation and the other half will not have shelters for offsite transportation? If so, I had two thoughts:
1. Are they really going to emphasize this haves vs have-nots aspect? I can see how it would be hard to do otherwise but this is pretty in-your-face.
2. How are they going to keep the have-nots from clogging up the covered area that is right next to their uncovered bus stop?

This makes me think that they *might* try to put up some kind of modesty barrier between the two sides of that peninsula. Maybe a trellis for plants? Could this be part of the work for that?

This is already essentially how it is at Epcot and current Studios where guests going to the charter and offsite bus lot have to walk by covered Disney transport stops that they can see easily from their bus stops.

Lensman

This is already essentially how it is at Epcot and current Studios where guests going to the charter and offsite bus lot have to walk by covered Disney transport stops that they can see easily from their bus stops.
But this would be the most in-your-face example yet! It's one thing to walk past the shelters to another area like at Epcot, but this makes people stand in the sun waiting at their stop while shade lies a mere 8 feet away. I wonder if the have-nots will be allowed to walk in the shaded area afforded to the haves? :) Wait, maybe that's what the trellis is, to separate the walking paths for the have-nots and keep them from walking under the shaded covered area on their way to their sunscorched bus stop?

Note: I find this pretty funny. I'm more amused than indignant. I'm actually kind of fascinated by social stratification norms so I'm making more of this than is warranted. :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

But this would be the most in-your-face example yet! It's one thing to walk past the shelters to another area like at Epcot, but this makes people stand in the sun waiting at their stop while shade lies a mere 8 feet away. I wonder if the have-nots will be allowed to walk in the shaded area afforded to the haves? :) Wait, maybe that's what the trellis is, to separate the walking paths for the have-nots and keep them from walking under the shaded covered area on their way to their sunscorched bus stop?

Note: I find this pretty funny. I'm more amused than indignant. I'm actually kind of fascinated by social stratification norms so I'm making more of this than is warranted. :)
The local resort buses run on looping schedules. Charter buses have a time to be in place so that when riders come out they can just get right on the charter buses with no waiting in the sun. The two types are not interchangeable. Also crossing that road to get from one side to the other with all that bus traffic could get you very dead. However, like I said with charter buses waiting in the open is not usually going to happen. The bus will be waiting for them with engine and AC running. That is one of the main reasons why people sign on for charter bus transportation.

Driver

All the parks and Disney Springs have covered load zones for Disney busses and uncovered for charter. That's just the way it's done. As far as the "trellis " your seeing it's a temporary wall not a trellis. They are building it near the new incomplete covered bus load zones. For the purpose of shielding the on going construction from the new charter bus load zone that is scheduled to be opened in about 2 weeks. It is the usual visual isolation that Disney does to conceal construction.

Lensman

All the parks and Disney Springs have covered load zones for Disney busses and uncovered for charter. That's just the way it's done. As far as the "trellis " your seeing it's a temporary wall not a trellis. They are building it near the new incomplete covered bus load zones. For the purpose of shielding the on going construction from the new charter bus load zone that is scheduled to be opened in about 2 weeks. It is the usual visual isolation that Disney does to conceal construction.
Interesting. I didn't realize that they were opening the new bus area for charters so soon and even before they open the Disney Transportation bus area.

I just hope that what @Goofyernmost said is true and that the charter bus passengers don't have to bake in the hot sun while their privileged brethren wait a few feet away under the cool awnings for their fabulous chariots to arrive.

Movielover

that the charter bus passengers don't have to bake in the hot sun while their privileged brethren wait a few feet away under the cool awnings for their fabulous chariots to arrive.

Yeah, how dare the people who pay an exorbitant amount more to stay on property get some added "perks", something that the resort has been doing since literally the begining!

latest

By the way, never thought I would be including bus shading as a perk but I guess when you run out of stuff to complain about...

Goofyernmost

Interesting. I didn't realize that they were opening the new bus area for charters so soon and even before they open the Disney Transportation bus area.

I just hope that what @Goofyernmost said is true and that the charter bus passengers don't have to bake in the hot sun while their privileged brethren wait a few feet away under the cool awnings for their fabulous chariots to arrive.
I was in the busing business for many years. That FACT is that if anyone is dealing with having to stand in the sun at Disney (or any other place, for that matter) and are there via charter bus... that is the bus company's or (i.e. Drivers fault) they are paid to be exclusive to those people and are charged with being there waiting for them to return to the buses. Not so with standard public transit scheduling.

Let me clarify that by saying that doesn't mean that someone won't decide that they don't want to wait for the predetermined pick up time. The bus should be in place a short time before the scheduled pick up time, if a passenger decides to show up at the pick up point early there will be no bus there, but, that is on the rider not Disney or the Charter Company. In the world of charter buses... their clients are the ones that are the privileged brethren. The ones standing under the shelter, in the heat, waiting who knows how long, are the unprivileged in this particular story.

Lensman

Yeah, how dare the people who pay an exorbitant amount more to stay on property get some added "perks", something that the resort has been doing since literally the begining!

latest

By the way, never thought I would be including bus shading as a perk but I guess when you run out of stuff to complain about...
LOL

As I said earlier, I'm more fascinated than indignant. It seemed petty if it was a conscious play on being a perk, but I trust the explanation from @Goofyernmost and @Driver.

Though I think this whole subthread started off with someone complaining because they thought the Disney bus stops wouldn't be sheltered. So I guess bus shading (and rain cover) is an expected perk? Or should we say, entitlement? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom