DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

Goofyernmost

Over here, our genius authorities put traffic signals on roundabouts. Both to get into them and then also once on them.

But we seriously digress...
They put a "roundabout" in a small city in Vermont and no one could figure out how it worked, then people started to complain that they had trouble crossing to the other side on foot, so they put stop lights in the middle on two sides. So, they were right, now it doesn't work. The traffic circle was on an uphill location so in the winter during snow storms, if you stopped for the light, you couldn't move again. Clever!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Roundabouts (circles, rotaries) are great for light traffic (and if everyone knows that all roundabouts have the same rules, i.e., everyone entering must yield), but they lose efficiency in heavy traffic. Then they start backing up, not enough breaks in the circle for cars to get in, governments put extra layers of organization (more inner lanes, declaring certain roads have the right of ways, traffic lights to break up the jams) which make them too complicated.

Jersey used to have lots of 'circles', but most are gone now replaced by giant intersections governed by traffic lights. Also, we tend to ban left turns. Gotta go right to make a left.

I was in South Jersey during the era of circles, they were pretty easy to deal with, just slam on the accelerator and don't yield for anyone. ;)

Stripes

Roundabouts (circles, rotaries) are great for light traffic (and if everyone knows that all roundabouts have the same rules, i.e., everyone entering must yield), but they lose efficiency in heavy traffic. Then they start backing up, not enough breaks in the circle for cars to get in, governments put extra layers of organization (more inner lanes, declaring certain roads have the right of ways, traffic lights to break up the jams) which make them too complicated.

Jersey used to have lots of 'circles', but most are gone now replaced by giant intersections governed by traffic lights. Also, we tend to ban left turns. Gotta go right to make a left.
In the small town I live in (Work in Seattle, live a small town about an hour southwest.), we have quite a number of roundabouts. 7 on main roads, soon to be 8.

For the most part I love them, particularly because I can instantly tell who doesn't know what on Earth they're doing and can keep my distance. There's one multi-lane roundabout that is the site of a lot of accidents, I assume because people look at it and panic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I tried, it gave me a headache....

You know how, when you enter a circle, and your exit is the last one and you think, "OMG, I DON'T HAVE ALL DAY TO SPEND IN A CIRCLE!!!!!" ?

Well, this system allows you to shortcut the long way around by entering the inner circle going the opposite way so that your exit is just one exit away and not four. Think of all the time you saved!!!!!!!!

Ripken10

In our area they are building more and more traffic circles. Their is two in our neighborhood, many on main roads in area, and new ones being constructed. More people know how to use them then don't. Makes things a lot easier. The occasional person that has no idea what they are doing can ruin it but overall they save a lot of time

tonymu

Premium Member
You know how, when you enter a circle, and your exit is the last one and you think, "OMG, I DON'T HAVE ALL DAY TO SPEND IN A CIRCLE!!!!!" ?

Well, this system allows you to shortcut the long way around by entering the inner circle going the opposite way so that your exit is just one exit away and not four. Think of all the time you saved!!!!!!!!
Time saved until you crash.....

briangaw

Does anyone have any updates on whether or not after this parking remodel the Buena Vista Drive entrance/exit will remain open to guests or will become bus only? From the curbing and drains that are there I am seeing at least the guest exit remaining. Did a quick and obviously dirty drawing of a possible final configuration of the area. No insider info, but just a compilation of what is being built and what has been suggested. I see no guest entry here, but only guest exit, buses, and drop off. If anyone has info that can edit to improve, much appreciated. Just trying to imagine it all.

Untitled2.jpg

Next Big Thing

So was wondering, what is the name of the expanded section of the parking lot? Or is it just Television still like the old CM lot is called?

Next Big Thing

I've been to DHS two times in the past few days, dropped off both times. The pick up/drop off is really a mess right now. I have to thinkk they'll be improving this and giving a dedicated area before SW:GE opens... right?

Movielover

I've been to DHS two times in the past few days, dropped off both times. The pick up/drop off is really a mess right now. I have to thinkk they'll be improving this and giving a dedicated area before SW:GE opens... right?

You mean the area that is currently under a massive redesign and construction involving completely reworking and expanding the entire area to handle the mass flood of people planning on attending the park after the other massive construction project in the area (Star Wars) is finished???

No it's going to stay exactly the same. ;)

TiggerDad

You mean the area that is currently under a massive redesign and construction involving completely reworking and expanding the entire area to handle the mass flood of people planning on attending the park after the other massive construction project in the area (Star Wars) is finished???

No it's going to stay exactly the same. ;)
A massive redesign and construction of the DHS parking lot that is currently going on? We should have a thread to discuss that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom