DHS New "Flex" Theater

Monoblanco13

I hate this idea. I'd rather just have a larger- time tested Star Wars area. Or Indy. Or anything. Guardians seems pretty lame- Loved the movie- would hate a themed area.

Since its currently said that Star Wars nor Pixar will extend this far and Muppets are already there might as well extend that as they are bringing the show back it makes sense to me.

StarLord01

I seems at the moment Disney have an array of ideas (GotG, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar etc..) for that area and I for one am excited with any of the options mentioned :D. Now I have said that though Disney will proberbly go a different way all together and disappoint me (which is not a comment I usually associate with Disney) :banghead:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You are the man! Is it okay for me to ask what your relationship is to your sources? Friends? Family? Other?

Also, I am coming to Europe in December. London and Paris are in the plans definitely. Can you advise me on things I must see and cool transit systems I must ride?
Remember that's as far as I've heard. Things can change. SoA are definitely being looked at closely regardless.

London and Paris both have extensive underground subways. London also had the Docklands light railway.

space42

What about the idea of re-theming RNRC to GOTG? That could potentially be very good.

How about they finally build SOMETHING NEW instead of constantly re-porpoising existing attractions? DHS is down 3 attractions since last year at this time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't jump on me for saying it, but Guardians of the Galaxy.

Disney and Marvel have redone their contract of late and it's to benefit both companies. Universal will update Marvel Superhero Island with the Cinematic Universe and an Avengers ride according to what is rumored, but Disney still has the ability to use Guardians. It would be the biggest thing they have left that they could put in the park and would fit perfectly alongside Star Wars.

What could Disney have given Universal that they didn't already have?

Next Big Thing

What could Disney have given Universal that they didn't already have?
As stated in the quoted post, the rights to use the Cinematic Universe (which helps Disney to be honest as far as branding goes) in exchange for taking out the Fantastic Four and X-Men characters (as a part of Disney's feud with FOX) and also some things to allow Disney to use certain characters in WDW.

It's more of a revision than anything. I'm just reporting over what I hear. @Disneyhead'71 would know more than I as I heard it from him.

Fox&Hound

My problem with Star Wars and GotG is it feels too much like tomorrowland and future world. I'm afraid that Disney is diluting its theming so much that soon every park will be the same, and that's a shame.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
As stated in the quoted post, the rights to use the Cinematic Universe (which helps Disney to be honest as far as branding goes) in exchange for taking out the Fantastic Four and X-Men characters (as a part of Disney's feud with FOX) and also some things to allow Disney to use certain characters in WDW.

It's more of a revision than anything. I'm just reporting over what I hear. @Disneyhead'71 would know more than I as I heard it from him.

I thought it has already been established that the current contract doesn't prevent them from using he MCU?

PhotoDave219

It may be wishful thinking from the Disney side of things as far as getting any rides, but Universal, according to multiple sources, is getting a Cinematic Universe update along with avengeres ride.

Thats not what I was referring to. I meant you getting Sparky over here believing that GotG was coming to DHS.

Next Big Thing

Thats not what I was referring to. I meant you getting Sparky over here believing that GotG was coming to DHS.
lol, I have no idea what you are talking about or if you even read my posts.

I posted the GotG bits at WDW as pure speculation based on it being something very popular, would fit well next to Star Wars and Disney can use it.

JediMasterMatt

Yep, why not use that area for phase 2 Star Wars Land

Phases... at WDW?

It's one thing to armchair Imagineer all sorts of Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar attractions for WDW.

It's a completely different fantasy to think that any expansion that ever gets done at WDW will ever follow through on a Phase II that hasn't already been budgeted.

Not even a slightest chance of this happening at WDW. If it isn't in the initial announcement and got bulldozers committed to it, it won't ever happen. Once an expansion is open and earing revenue, the bean counters sit back and let the money flow. This is why Cameron fought so hard to get as much right with Pandora out of the box as he knew a Phase II was unobtainium.

The only things that happen in phases at WDW are: rolling out opening a budgeted expansion in phases (like New Fantasyland) or phased closings of the parks.

PhotoDave219

lol, I have no idea what you are talking about or if you even read my posts.

I posted the GotG bits at WDW as pure speculation based on it being something very popular, would fit well next to Star Wars and Disney can use it.

Yeah, and Skippy took it and ran with it and started his "I was right all along" happy dance.

I'm not disagreeing but I have my doubts. Mostly, Glendale's loathesome habit of refusing to spend money.

NormC

Did you just say that they've "updated their contract"? Hey, folks, that's what I've been saying would happen! I hate to say it, but I was right!

Before I go to gloat in this, I want to see it for myself first. Where did you read this? Links, please!
Don't pat yourself on the back for a completely unsubstantiated rumor. No modifications to the existing contract have been made public nor would they be needed for Uni's plans.

doctornick

It's a grey area. It's not specifically mentioned, but the MCU also didn't exist back when the contract was created.

It's a grey area IMHO because the studios themselves typically own the rights to the images as part of their deals for the film rights to the characters. I don't think that Uni could use the movie images of Spider-Man (from Sony) or the X-Men or Fantastic Four (from Fox) without the permission of those movie studios. OTOH, the MCU images are owned by Marvel who made the original deal so its not like they are a third party.

I would think that it's enough of a grey area with using MCU looks that making any agreement explicit and clearly laid out would benefit both sides and avoid any legal concerns in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom