DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A permit was filed with the South Florida Water Management District for a new fireworks launch area for DHS.

Capture.JPG

doctornick

Interesting. would it be safe to say that, since this is now across the street from the park, that the fallout would be on that side as well and would not require the closure of the back of the park? Would be nice if they could just have fireworks every night while still keeping TSMM (and all of TSL and whatever gets built for Phase 3 in the future) open.

Also, any timeframe for completion of this project? Could it be done for the SW fireworks starting in January?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting. would it be safe to say that, since this is now across the street from the park, that the fallout would be on that side as well and would not require the closure of the back of the park? Would be nice if they could just have fireworks every night while still keeping TSMM (and all of TSL and whatever gets built for Phase 3 in the future) open.

Also, any timeframe for completion of this project? Could it be done for the SW fireworks starting in January?

Yeah, since they are building TSL back there it would make sense to keep that area open during Fireworks. Does anyone know where the current launch area is?

I have not found any dates yet, but January is unlikely. SFWMD permits are generally filled at least several months before work starts. They usually take at least a month to get approved.

doctornick

Yeah, since they are building TSL back there it would make sense to keep that area open during Fireworks. Does anyone know where the current launch area is?

wikimapia has the current fireworks launch site labelled as a spot next to Catastrophe Canyon. On the map above, it's just below where the words that say "Existing Box Culverts" are located (inside the park). This new location would certainly be much further away form TSL.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I have not found any dates yet, but January is unlikely. SFWMD permits are generally filled at least several months before work starts. They usually take at least a month to get approved.
Yep its currently on a trailer, parked near the tram tour station.

Great to see a proper launch site being put in place. Thanks for posting.

Rob562

A few points:

-This doesn't appear to be exactly in-line with Hollywood Blvd. Going by Google Maps, the point on the west side of World Drive that's in-line with the Blvd would be about where the canal is at the bottom of the pic in the first post. So this means that shows shot off from here will appear off to the right of the Theater when viewed from Hollywood Blvd.

-I'm also curious what they'll do with World Drive traffic during shows. Since World Drive would be within the fallout zone, my guess is that they'd close World Drive to traffic each way and use Osceola Drive and Buena Vista past Blizzard Beach as a detour.

-I'd think Security will have to increase patrols to keep people from pulling over to the side on area roads to watch the show (not an issue at Epcot since most pyro isn't visible outside the park, and at MK most roads don't offer a view of the show)

-Rob

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
A few points:

-This doesn't appear to be exactly in-line with Hollywood Blvd. Going by Google Maps, the point on the west side of World Drive that's in-line with the Blvd would be about where the canal is at the bottom of the pic in the first post. So this means that shows shot off from here will appear off to the right of the Theater when viewed from Hollywood Blvd.

-I'm also curious what they'll do with World Drive traffic during shows. Since World Drive would be within the fallout zone, my guess is that they'd close World Drive to traffic each way and use Osceola Drive and Buena Vista past Blizzard Beach as a detour.

-Security will have to increase patrols to keep people from pulling over to the side on area roads to watch the show.

-Rob
I think it is close enough to being inline for it to work. Fingers crossed.

I can't see them closing the roads. Do they have enough distance from the road to not do so? I think they might based on what happens around MK in the North Service area.

DisDan

A few points:

-I'd think Security will have to increase patrols to keep people from pulling over to the side on area roads to watch the show (not an issue at Epcot since most pyro isn't visible outside the park, and at MK most roads don't offer a view of the show)

-Rob

Valid points, curious to see how they solve these issues.

PhotoDave219

Martin should know....

Right now, I when they do fireworks they close off a large part of the park… And I don't think you can have that happen anymore

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This does not line up with Hollywood boulevard in any reasonable way. This is for the Toy story addition or Star wars.

23428499375_21f011f068_o.png
The viewing post could certainly be relocated, but I wouldn't think they would want the viewing area to be in the Echo Lake area. Nowhere near enough space, and operational difficulties with the crowds expected in the new land.

It would be a real break in tradition to not have the main street as the viewing spot. The capacity alone and ease of exit after the show is of high importance.

raven

I can't see them closing the roads. Do they have enough distance from the road to not do so? I think they might based on what happens around MK in the North Service area.
Agreed. Although you can't access the road directly next to the MK launch area during a show, you can access the intersection about 200' away from it.

KYWDW

Not sure what the largest size shell they shoot is, but the normal distance is a 100ft for every inch.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nice catch but a bit odd. Very off the sightline. Like very very off. Like having MK fireworks explode over iasw.

Or worse than Disneyland's staggered hi launch site.

Looking at the plan (not the permit) could this be more bunker storage than launchers?

For reference the current site is under the "g" of "ExistinG box culverts"

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom