DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

Nubs70

Nice catch but a bit odd. Very off the sightline. Like very very off. Like having MK fireworks explode over iasw.

Or worse than Disneyland's staggered hi launch site.

Looking at the plan (not the permit) could this be more bunker storage than launchers?

For reference the current site is under the "g" of "ExistinG box culverts"
However, with angled launch tubes and sized lift charges, it could be made to line up with desired sight lines. Theoretically easy, just more math and opportunity for error.

wdrive

I've got no way to back this up but I was told a few months ago by someone who works with the Studio's fireworks that something big was coming but he couldn't say what just that an announcement wasn't too far away.

ToTBellHop

Factor in wind and that gets very messy.
And why would they do that anyway? If they wanted the launch site to line up with Hollywood Blvd., they would have built it on that portion of swamp. This suggests a new viewing area. Fireworks don't have to be over anything in particular. See: IllumiNations.

This fireworks launch would be viewable from Star Wars Land, Center Stage, Toy Story Land and presumably whatever they build over Catastrophe Canyon. Just not our short Hollywood Blvd., which doesn't have adequate capacity anyway as it is no where near the length of Main Street.

Timothy_Q

I don't think it's THAT far off center.
The fireworks will go off just slightly to the side of the theater

dhs-01.jpg
dhs-02.jpg

JoeCamel

I think the lift points will be key, maybe they will have compressed air launches for the smaller shells and reduce the fallout. The 10 inchers might be a little different though

bweaver1985

I think the lift points will be key, maybe they will have compressed air launches for the smaller shells and reduce the fallout. The 10 inchers might be a little different though

Compressed air wont reduce the fallout much. The only reason I think Cali uses compressed air is due to close proximity to crowd. This new site has plenty of clearance.

Next Big Thing

The viewing post could certainly be relocated, but I wouldn't think they would want the viewing area to be in the Echo Lake area. Nowhere near enough space, and operational difficulties with the crowds expected in the new land.

It would be a real break in tradition to not have the main street as the viewing spot. The capacity alone and ease of exit after the show is of high importance.
Maybe they don't want people to leave though...

JoeCamel

Compressed air wont reduce the fallout much. The only reason I think Cali uses compressed air is due to close proximity to crowd. This new site has plenty of clearance.

The proximity to the cars on World Drive may dictate they use compressed air rather than pryo to lift as many of the shells as they can. It would be cleaner and might not require the closure of the road for the 10 - 20 minutes they show might take.

It is interesting they use the word lift rather than launch for the smaller pads.

bweaver1985

The proximity to the cars on World Drive may dictate they use compressed air rather than pryo to lift as many of the shells as they can. It would be cleaner and might not require the closure of the road for the 10 - 20 minutes they show might take.

It is interesting they use the word lift rather than launch for the smaller pads.

That map i did above shows no closures of World Drive would be required. Per NFPA clerances are fine. When you get into compressed air the cost of the shells increase dramatically. You have to use a computer chip inside the shell to burst the shell since there is no time fuse from the lift charge into the burst charge. Epcot used to do this but has removed all computer chips from the shells. Even the shells along the seawall at Epcot have a lift charge. They used to be air shells but they scrapped it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That map i did above shows no closures of World Drive would be required. Per NFPA clerances are fine. When you get into compressed air the cost of the shells increase dramatically. You have to use a computer chip inside the shell to burst the shell since there is no time fuse from the lift charge into the burst charge. Epcot used to do this but has removed all computer chips from the shells. Even the shells along the seawall at Epcot have a lift charge. They used to be air shells but they scrapped it.

But you are not showing the launch areas that are closer to the road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom