DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

dstrawn9889

16 acres? those feller machines that Tigercat have can cut that in a few hours.

A Tigercat2 845D tracked feller-buncher equipped with a shear head was evaluated while performing a clearcut in a 15-year old Loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) plantation and a 18-year old natural stand. Mean density of the plantation was 573 TPA (Trees per Acre) while the natural stand averaged 328 TPA, with a slightly higher density of 390 TPA in the study area. Total cycle time was not significantly different between the two stands and averaged 66.8 seconds. The feller-buncher harvested an average of 6.3 trees per min and 7.1 trees per accumulation. Productivity of the fellerbuncher in the plantation averaged 77.9 green tons per PMH (Productive Machine Hour) with a mean tree size of 0.19 green tons. In the natural stand productivity averaged 118.7 green tons per PMH with a mean tree size of 0.49 green tons

layman's-speak --- pine tree - trees per acre(natural, not farm planted) ~328. this feller can cut an average of 6.3 trees a minute + ~378/hr. that means that this machine can cut an ACRE + an hour

day to cut and a week to trim and hauloff?

pulled from dept of ag spec sheet
http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/2013/ja_2013_klepac_001.pdf

doctornick

So, when is the new fireworks launch expected to be completed? I ask because they'd have to wait for that to be done before they can demolish the current in park fireworks launch (now being used daily for Star Wars fireworks) as part of what is going in the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon part of the park.

Also, shouldn't this thread move to the DHS subforum as well?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, when is the new fireworks launch expected to be completed? I ask because they'd have to wait for that to be done before they can demolish the current in park fireworks launch (now being used daily for Star Wars fireworks) as part of what is going in the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon part of the park.

I haven't seen any dates, but it's a pretty simple project so shouldn't take very long, even at Disney construction pace.

mm121

isnt the current launch on a trailer? so it could be moved accordingly to make way for construction

i second the move to the sub forum

doctornick

isnt the current launch on a trailer? so it could be moved accordingly to make way for construction

The current launch could surely be moved easily, but they need to have somewhere to put it. My point is that the current location is slated to be a giant construction zone soon (April) so it would be good if the new launch area is build before then so that the nightly Star Wars fireworks can continue without a gap, while construction can hopefully get kicked into high gear ASAP.

mm121

The current launch could surely be moved easily, but they need to have somewhere to put it. My point is that the current location is slated to be a giant construction zone soon (April) so it would be good if the new launch area is build before then so that the nightly Star Wars fireworks can continue without a gap, while construction can hopefully get kicked into high gear ASAP.

agreed, they cant really have a fireworks platflorm loaded and ready to go for each nights show in a location that could be ran into by heavy construction equipment

and in a construction fantasy world construction would occur 24/7 once it begins though unfortunately we all know that will never happen

Goingdown13

Current launch site is a backstage parking lot and tractor trailer beds

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So as that permit states Cypress Drive, is this for something within the current confines of the studios or do they generally put vague address data and this could be for across the way over World Drive?

I am not sure why they put Cypress Dr on there. H1 is the designation for the launch site on the other side of World Drive. I guess it's possible that there will also be launch elements on the DHS side of the road.

halltd

I happened to drive over World Drive tonight on BVD a little after 8:00pm during the fireworks. I was amazed at the number of cars stopped on World Drive heading in both directions to watch the show. I counted at least twenty cars with their flashers on pulled over just watching. I've never seen this before. With the new launch location, this phenomenon might just get worse...even though before I saw it, I thought that was a stupid worry.

djkidkaz

I happened to drive over World Drive tonight on BVD a little after 8:00pm during the fireworks. I was amazed at the number of cars stopped on World Drive heading in both directions to watch the show. I counted at least twenty cars with their flashers on pulled over just watching. I've never seen this before. With the new launch location, this phenomenon might just get worse...even though before I saw it, I thought that was a stupid worry.

They may have to just station a few police cruisers there during the 15 minute show to stop people from stopping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom