DHS New Fireworks Launch Area

WDW Monorail

I had time today to take a closer look at the plans and report. The Engineer's Report says next to nothing about the design, just typical environmental planning document fluff and a short geotech report.

Based on the plans, seven 1.4G sites will be constructed 100' apart all on 10'x16' concrete pads. The 6" site will be constructed 208' West of the 1.4G sites with a 102' gap to the 8" site and a 90' gap to the 10" site.

I would not be surprised if the 1.4G sites are to be elevated or installed on scissor lifts. The site will have space for containerized storage as well.

Since these types of permit applications do not require full sets of construction plans, only pertinent information is provided such as soil erosion protection measures and impervious surface area, etc. Construction plans would show plumbing, electrical, structural, construction details and other aspects of the project related to the actual construction by a contractor. Therefore, it's difficult to tell exactly how the sites will be set up.

Slowjack

This is what came down in Magic Kingdom one night.

88_EC013_F_41_E6_4366_9622_C99_DC050_F40_B.jpg
Am I the only one who saw this and heard a voice in my head saying: "Oil shale. The rock that burns."?

Tom

Beta Return
I had time today to take a closer look at the plans and report. The Engineer's Report says next to nothing about the design, just typical environmental planning document fluff and a short geotech report.

Based on the plans, seven 1.4G sites will be constructed 100' apart all on 10'x16' concrete pads. The 6" site will be constructed 208' West of the 1.4G sites with a 102' gap to the 8" site and a 90' gap to the 10" site.

I would not be surprised if the 1.4G sites are to be elevated or installed on scissor lifts. The site will have space for containerized storage as well.

Since these types of permit applications do not require full sets of construction plans, only pertinent information is provided such as soil erosion protection measures and impervious surface area, etc. Construction plans would show plumbing, electrical, structural, construction details and other aspects of the project related to the actual construction by a contractor. Therefore, it's difficult to tell exactly how the sites will be set up.

Thanks for the synopsis. I hadn't had time to digest the full filing yet.

Given that they likely want to use this site soon, they probably have all the materials sitting in a staging yard somewhere in the north service area, or the Contractor's Row. Probably no plumbing. Just structural and electrical. A little Architectural for the block building. And civil for grading.

Rob562

Thanks for the synopsis. I hadn't had time to digest the full filing yet.

Given that they likely want to use this site soon, they probably have all the materials sitting in a staging yard somewhere in the north service area, or the Contractor's Row. Probably no plumbing. Just structural and electrical. A little Architectural for the block building. And civil for grading.

Since there's so much pyro being used, I'd expect at least fire hydrant service would have to be run to this area, unless they plan on installing a snorkel hookup to the canal next door.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
Since there's so much pyro being used, I'd expect at least fire hydrant service would have to be run to this area, unless they plan on installing a snorkel hookup to the canal next door.

-Rob

Right, and it will probably just be a tap off a nearby water main, which I assume are all over property. That work would be done by a site/civil contractor though, not a plumber.

WDW Monorail

Right, and it will probably just be a tap off a nearby water main, which I assume are all over property. That work would be done by a site/civil contractor though, not a plumber.

There's a 16" water line skirting right past the site so that would be the source.

dstrawn9889

oh, hold on... i went back to the maps that have been provided, and the fallout rings didnt jibe... it is 75' per inch diameter of the launch tubes, correct? i pulled the plan pic below and noted that the map resolution is approx 1 pxl per foot. 1.4" = 105', 6" = 450', 8" = 600', 10" = 750'. so a 1' = 1 pxl map is here, centered on the launch sites... :::EDIT::: pixels on MS Paint, not actual pixels of the photo
fallout map.jpg

roj2323

They'll probably mobilize Monday, if not sooner.
on christmas week, unlikely. They may drop off the graders and other machines but other than possibly installing the silt screening, Which is highly unlikely, Nothing will happen this week.

Tom

Beta Return
on christmas week, unlikely. They may drop off the graders and other machines but other than possibly installing the silt screening, Which is highly unlikely, Nothing will happen this week.

That, by definition, is mobilizing. Moving equipment and otherwise preparing to perform work on site.

DisneyGentleman

There's always the possibility this for something in the longer term.
Loaded question here Martin - what is the potential for relocating (or removing) a segment of World Drive to put the fireworks launch area within the park footprint (scale of 0-10, with 0 impossible to 10 being the digging starts tomorrow)?

Based on the maps, I don't see that it's even possible, unless all entry to the property would be limited to the north, east, and west.

Thoughts?

Mikejakester

I'm still stumped a little by this. Pieces are slowly coming together but there's nothing I can speak about yet.
There is nothing you can speak to, because you are stumped and have little info? or you have info you just can't spill it at the moment? I've asked around to a couple of people I know, and nooooo one knew about this one...

surfsupdon

That new fireworks show looked great! The score and pyro was really fun to watch, even on my iPhone.

I bet there are some awesome views to be had from both the Swan and Dolphin, and a few rooms at BoardWalk too.

**EDIT: Whoops, my fault, I admit I did not read the entire thread....my bad

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom