DHS New Attraction coming this summer! - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, I didn't watch the video and won't until I experience it, but it doesn't sound very good. There certainly is a place for minor attractions, but this sounds like an attraction for minors.

Personally I think it looks better in the video then it sounds in the description. I think more people would be happy with this sort of minor attraction if we were also getting some major new attractions.

Animaniac93-98

Personally I think it looks better in the video then it sounds in the description. I think more people would be happy with this sort of minor attraction if we were also getting some major new attractions.

THIS. I think Jack Sparrow and EtwB are fine for what they are, the problem occurs when they become the only new type of attraction built and the really good stuff is being built elsewhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The brand-new ‘The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow’ Pirates of the Caribbean experience began operating in soft opening mode this morning, allowing the first guests to visit the high-tech show and enter the world of the popular film franchise. The attraction, which will officially open on December 6, 2012, is located at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, in Soundstage 4 (between Toy Story Mania! and the Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream exhibit.
Like its predecessor, the Chronicles of Narnia experiences, the show begins in a pre-show area, in which a talking skull a la the original Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, introduces the show and questions the integrity of those waiting to go inside and join Jack Sparrow’s crew.
For the main show, guests enter a large room which is decorated with various props along the sides and features a large scale model of the Black Pearl which serves as a portion of the show’s projection screen. Using Disney’s high-resolution, projection mapping system such as the one used in ‘The Magic, the Memories and You’ and ‘Celebrate the Magic,’ the now floating skull invites the pirate pledge holding the iron key (chosen prior to the show) to ‘insert it into the treasure chest’ (the child really just holds it up) and the show begins. From here, the audience journeys through each of the films in an immersive show that involves physical and lighting effects in addition to the projections: from a skeleton army to Davy Jones to the Kraken and more, the lifelike projections also appear to literally fly off the screen along the back of the wall to over the Black Pearl and other objects inside the room. Eventually Captain Jack Sparrow himself appears aboard the ship and, after defeating Davy Jones, leads guests through the pirate’s oath in a way that only Jack Sparrow can.
The show is billed as interactive, but it’s really only in the vein of television shows like ‘Jake and the Never Land Pirates’ as guests are encouraged to engage in activities such as yelling out phrases and stomping their feet.
Below is our video of the full experience as well as a brief look at some of the props which include many from the films such as Elizabeth Swann’s corset, the ‘Pirates – Ye be warned’ sign and more, along with many sight gags such as my favorite, the pirate who died by cannonball.

PLEASE say aside from the last sentence that you copied and pasted that from a PR issue?

edrho

I think it looks like a lot of fun. My youngest daughter will love it. She doesn't ride much so attractions like this are great for her.

WDWLover#1

PLEASE say aside from the last sentence that you copied and pasted that from a PR issue?
Oh yeah, sorry I did. I just really liked the desciption that went with it as it was very detailed. Looking back on it I should have put the source in the thread. Will do that in the future. If anyone is wondering StichKingdom is a great website where it posts rumours and spoilers(like this on). Check it out!

aladdin2007

The skull reminds me of Jeff Dunhams Achmed character. But anyway, the whole thing (for what it is) looks visually fantastic, all the glowing candles and effects are a great touch. The script however is pointless and awkward. It doesnt amount to anything. Maybe its not suppose to I guess but just be the little show that it is.
Its going to be terrifying though for the wee wee little ones, downright creepy, I hope theres a warning sign out front.

Turtle

I thought this attraction was going to be more about the film making process of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, such as showcasing the special effects and props. They really could have made this something along the lines of what you would've found on the Inside the Magic - Special Effects and Production Tour portion of the original Backlot Tour.

I am sick and tired of these "interactive" minor attractions being made in place of attractions that have more substance to them. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is another waste of time. At least Journey into Narnia had props and costumes from the movie that you could see.

It seems as though the Walt Disney Company doesn't have a clue what the actual theme and idea is behind the Disney-MGM Studios. The majority of the park should be dedicated to pulling back the curtain on the film making process. Nowadays, it has just become a dumping ground for random attractions, which aren't very ground-breaking or fantastic IMO, that are associated with a movie. For example, instead of having the sub-par video game attraction that known as Toy Story Mania, we could have gotten a walk-through attraction that would teach us about the history of the Pixar company.

Much like Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios has become a theme park where none of its new attractions meet the the criteria for fitting the theme of the park or land, being educational and entertaining, or being an impressive attraction.
Yes, because the Tower of Terror gives so much insight into the film process. That would be horrible to have EVERY SINGLE RIDE about how films are made like Epcot, and I think we all know that the park's theme has changed to riding the movies like Universal. Plus, it isn't a dumping ground, if it's a film or involved with hollywood it fits the theme so stop bad-mouthing the park more than it should be.

The Empress Lilly

That video looks okay. Much better than the description. I watched only the first half then bowed out because I belatedly didn't want to spoil the actual experience.

I'm not that hot about watching twelve year old audience members be part of the attraction. Nor am I simply dying to shout 'aie' and 'arrr' back at a computer projection.

However, the physical set, and the way video and set worked together looked surprisingly good.

It all reminds me that I muist rethink my WDW-categories. About the difference between an elaborate m&g and an underwhelming attraction. (The former denotes, something positive, the latter something negative. But this value assigned is all based only on the category in which one places the experience).
Must also think about whether an advertisement that involves the guest is better than a plain billboard, or something sinister at work.

Atomicmickey

Zzzzzzzz.

Really? Well, I suppose.

It's no Poseidon's Fury, that's for sure.

Might have been cool if the screen went over your head, but the Kraken is woefully
cut off by the ceiling. And what was going on in the "end battle", where it seemed like,
um, nothing much was going on?

This is semi-embarrassing stuff. Again, if this was a little treat add-on in the shadow
of some coolness happening at WDW, we might go "cool, thanks for the little treat".
But to be a "new attraction", bleah.

splah

The whole time i watched the video, i kept thinking that it looks like one giant in-park test of new projection techniques for wdi

Magenta Panther

Well that looks about three billion times better than the Narnia "attraction". I hope I'll get to check it out in person when I visit the World in December.

But one thing...why the HECK can't the show start AFTER the CM tells everyone to come gather in the middle yadda yadda etc etc???? Why doesn't TDO design their shows in such a way as to accommodate that kind of thing so that the CM doesn't have to talk over the narration, thus killing the mood????????? Bad show, TDO! VERY bad show! Booo!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom