DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

gmajew

Premium Member
We've already seen that in 2010 when Hosgmeade paid for itself in three months.

Avland instead is an opportunity to see a budget destroyed and the detremental knock on effect in other parks.

A budget that in the first place should have been more than enough.

I think Starwars will do that... I think AK will see a 25% increase in park attendance when the new area opens... it will only maintain that if it really is out of this world... Based on what I am seeing my expectations keep going up of Avatar.

gmajew

Premium Member
We will see. But Joe Public might want more than a 4:30 minute boat ride and another Soarin.

I don't disagree with that but I am really hoping this land is similar to the rest of the park where you get to explore every cranny of it. The people that complain AK is not a full day park now our the ones that don't enjoy he other exhibits that are in the park.... This park is so much more then a few rides... As you may be able to tell it is my favorite park even if I do it only every other year because of the Animals that you get to see and experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't disagree with that but I am really hoping this land is similar to the rest of the park where you get to explore every cranny of it. The people that complain AK is not a full day park now our the ones that don't enjoy he other exhibits that are in the park.... This park is so much more then a few rides... As you may be able to tell it is my favorite park even if I do it only every other year because of the Animals that you get to see and experience.
Indeed. But average joe with two point four kids who's on vacation expects a theme park to be just that.

That's been DAKS main issue since inception.

Even if it's not a zoo.

rioriz

Good thing then for once Disney is not making a theme park for the average joe....reminds you of that park we once called EPCOT

Some call it AK's main issue, I call it a blessing

I've been to Busch Gardens and while beautiful and fun, I am quickly and often reminded I am in a Theme/Amusement Park. In AK I can lose myself, especially in Africa, quickly.

And to bring it back to DHS, I am hoping that is what we get from SWL. An opportunity to be transported and lose all reminders of the outside world that may loom only a Lego Set away...

AEfx

I know our world is becoming so sad.... 8 year old with cell phones saying mom I don't need to see a gorilla i can your tube it....

That's not really the problem. This has been AK's problem since it opened, long before everyone had smartphones.

The problem is, there aren't enough rides and experiences to make it a full-fledged theme park, but also the animal interaction is really very minimal at AK. Most regional zoos do it better, closer, and much more variety. Sure, the theming around the animals that AK does have is spectacular, but the types/quantity/quality of the animals exhibited is easily trumped by zoos that people live a few hours at most from. The general viewing of the animals is much better as well.

AK tries to be two things at once, and doesn't do either of them very well, which is why it ultimately failed to expand the audience to WDW as it was intended to do.

matt9112

I know our world is becoming so sad.... 8 year old with cell phones saying mom I don't need to see a gorilla i can your tube it....

Can't knock the future....I got VR headsets and it's ungodly amazing someday with fine tuning I think I might go to monoco in my kitchen...oh wait I already have. Seriously though it's scary.

JohnWD

We will see. But Joe Public might want more than a 4:30 minute boat ride and another Soarin.
Are you becoming more cynical? Everything we can see and know makes it look like Avatar Land will be very entertaining. It's just a question of is it the greatest thing since sliced bread? Or is it just good? As far as payback, on this board it will be a subjective debate, which means nothing about Disney, just an interesting topic to engage in.
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

doctornick

Just being honest. NFL was style over substance. I'm not seeing anything different here personally.

I really trust Martin's opinion, so this kind of comment makes me concerned. OTOH, you have @Disneyhead'71 actually hyping the land despite being a notorious Disney skeptic. So, I just don't know what to think.

Based on the look of the build and Cameron's particular emphasis (neurosis?) on details, I tend to believe that the land will be quite impressive. The boat ride may very well be short, as @marni1971 indicates, but will quite possibly be high quality if the film of the AA is any indication.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I really trust Martin's opinion, so this kind of comment makes me concerned. OTOH, you have @Disneyhead'71 actually hyping the land despite being a notorious Disney skeptic. So, I just don't know what to think.

Based on the look of the build and Cameron's particular emphasis (neurosis?) on details, I tend to believe that the land will be quite impressive. The boat ride may very well be short, as @marni1971 indicates, but will quite possibly be high quality if the film of the AA is any indication.
Thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I think it will look great and is what DAK needs.

But I also think for what's it's costing both in money and politics it should encompass far more and that DAK still needs more. It is welcome, but won't "fix" the park.

rioriz

Are you becoming more cynical? Everything we can see and know makes it look like Avatar Land will be very entertaining. It's just a question of is it the greatest thing since sliced bread? Or is it just good? As far as payback, on this board it will be a subjective debate, which means nothing about Disney, just an interesting topic to engage in.
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

I think Martin deserves some slack here...I have said ad nausea the unfortunate side of knowing "what's behind the curtain". Can it make you more cynical or in his case I think just more pensive and cautious. It's like being a Green Politician one year and leaving the next with your hope lost in all politics because you found out how Washington is really run.

He has also actively stated he doesn't follow the project due to general disinterest. I tend to disagree with his particular opinion solely based on the reality of what I know we are getting, disregarding the $ it took. His opinion does take in account the $ and politics and therefore leads to a different outcome, understandably. :)

RSoxNo1

Just being honest. NFL was style over substance. I'm not seeing anything different here personally.
If that's the case than it's a huge problem. I've said from the outset that I'm nervous about the attractions here. With that said though I have a lot more confidence in Joe Rohde than I do Chris Beatty. New Fantasyland is the ultimate in style over substance. One of the attractions in New Fantasyland features an elaborate queue and then kids performing a World Showcase Players level show. Literally an E-ticket queue and an A-ticket attraction.

Getting a glimpse at the Na'vi animatronics gives me quite a bit of hope. However, I'm concerned that if those animatronics are on the boat ride that all of the facial movements won't be visible to guests. It's very rare that guests get that close to an animatronic to appreciate that level of detail so it could be where the money was "wasted".

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I think it will look great and is what DAK needs.

But I also think for what's it's costing both in money and politics it should encompass far more and that DAK still needs more. It is welcome, but won't "fix" the park.
I disagree with the premise that the Animal Kingdom needs "fixing". Epcot and DHS need fixing. DAK needs more to do. There's a huge difference there.

Magenta Panther

I think Martin deserves some slack here...I have said ad nausea the unfortunate side of knowing "what's behind the curtain". Can it make you more cynical or in his case I think just more pensive and cautious. It's like being a Green Politician one year and leaving the next with your hope lost in all politics because you found out how Washington is really run.

He has also actively stated he doesn't follow the project due to general disinterest. I tend to disagree with his particular opinion solely based on the reality of what I know we are getting, disregarding the $ it took. His opinion does take in account the $ and politics and therefore leads to a different outcome, understandably. :)

PLUS he knows what he's talking about. That's all that concerns me, and that's why I always look forward to his posts, even if the news he has to share bums me out sometimes.

Well I can at least say that indiana jones 5 will have some sort of connection with disney hollywood studios new future. Including incredibles 2. Just having Star Wars and Toy Story land do you really think that'll be enough to bring in a good number of people? I MO I think a 3rd land is necessary.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I can at least say that indiana jones 5 will have some sort of connection with disney hollywood studios new future. Including incredibles 2. Just having Star Wars and Toy Story land do you really think that'll be enough to bring in a good number of people? I MO I think a 3rd land is necessary.
There's a lot that's needed. If it'll happen is another story. Original DHS plans (12 months back) had 4 new areas.

Anything further Indy related depends on the success of the forthcoming film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom