DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ToTBellHop

We may have one around Milwaukee somewhere....:)

Since I am NO Insider, PLEASE Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't there talk on here before July 4th that there wouldn't be much or no DHS Buzz at D23? Have our changes gone up? If the latest Rumors are true..OMD & VOLM closing, I would think the Public would take notice soon of all that's closed at DHS without an announcement. Anyone else besides me think we are past due for a announcement???? OMD closing doesn't bother me since that other site said OMD can be moved in WDW. VOLM Closing bothers me a little since it's one of the last Classic Disney shows there along with BATB. Can't they move VOLM to that new Flex Theater? Or keep it open for the holidays if no earth is moving before 2016?
They certainly can't remain mum that long. After the icy fireworks fade and people realize the park has nothing to offer until Osborne returns, there will be bellyaching. Longest I could seem hem reasonably holding off some sort of announcement is around the first of the year. But, obviously DAK will be the focus of D23 as far as we are concerned. Any potential DHS info is likely to have almost no details. I'm looking forward to seeing the Pandora model and learning about Rivers of Light.

Lynn Stephens

You can't drop a property like a full blown Star Wars Land into a park with 5 rides. The crowds would overwhelm the capacity by 10am. They need to add a lot more fire power to the park before they can drop Star Wars Land in there. Imagine if IOA only had 5 rides when Potter opened.
I agree entirely, but I also expect for Pixar Place to be up in some capacity. At least another two attractions and TSPL. But, as Dave said, "speculate away."

OneDNP

So.... "trigger warning: Life"

Is that a proper example of how this is used?

It amazes me that reading about *trigger* OMD closing *end trigger* without fair warning could cause irreparable emotional damage. Then again, maybe it doesn't amaze me that much.

My favorite is when the poster gets berated for not putting trigger in their post or title - the person triggered then triggers the triggerer, and the triggering cycle is repeated.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
It amazes me that reading about *trigger* OMD closing *end trigger* without fair warning could cause irreparable emotional damage. Then again, maybe it doesn't amaze me that much.

My favorite is when the poster gets berated for not putting trigger in their post or title - the person triggered then triggers the triggerer, and the triggering cycle is repeated.

Well, I think the biggest conclusion one can take away from today is that everyone should ride their favorite attraction at DHS sooner rather than later. The closings are growing.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You would probably be better off not knowing, but since you will inevitably be told some day...the idea is that people are so easily traumatized today, any time you say or write something that might remind someone of a painful experience, you're supposed to issue a trigger warning, so afflicted people can prepare themselves or retreat to a "safe space." I wish I was making this up.
So everyone should have the ability to "spoiler alert" what they are going to say. So say for instance I tell someone "It's just a pet snake, you can take it to the kennel while you vacation" it comes out of my mouth muted unless someone depresses the "trigger warning" button on their "trigger warning" app.

bakntime

Disneyland's parking structure has 10,300 spaces and cost $90 Million, plus $13 Million for the direct flyover bridge into the structure from the Santa Ana Freeway, but that was in 1998-99 dollars. Construction costs are higher in Anaheim though due to strict earthquake building codes that add cost to large structures. In 2015 dollars it would likely be north of $150 Million.

Interestingly, that parking structure was paid for by bonds issued by the City of Anaheim and technically belongs to the city, but Disney owns it and operates it and collects the parking fees from it. Disney CM's also control the reversible lanes and signage on the flyover, even though it technically belongs to CalTrans as part of the freeway.
Not sure where you go that $90M number, but it's way off.

this is from the people who actually built it:
http://matarchitecture.com/parking-facilities/
Construction cost for the project was in the range of $240,000,000.

TP2000

Not sure where you go that $90M number, but it's way off.

this is from the people who actually built it:
http://matarchitecture.com/parking-facilities/

I have a feeling they mixed up some numbers over the last 15 years. Multiple city documents and news articles (from little local rags like the Los Angeles Times) from the late 1990's quoted Disney spokesmen as stating the structure cost "$90 Million" to build. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/11/entertainment/ca-10932
http://www.cp-dr.com/node/1205
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-10-09/news/mn-52109_1_disneyland-expansion

Fast forward 15 years, and what may be happening with that architecture firm is they are inflating the project by including the cost of the city bonds sold to build it in 1998-99. The city of Anaheim issued $395 Million in civic bonds in 1996 to pay for the area street refurbishments, resort district beautification and rebuilds, new roads, and the parking structure itself. It cost $90 Million to build the structure back in 1998-99, but in the end cost is likely $240 Million once the city bonds are finally paid off later this century.

Either that, or they are just inflating the 1998 sales prices to 2015 audiences to make their architecture firm look better on their website. ;)

Last edited:

bakntime

I have a feeling they mixed up some numbers over the last 15 years. Multiple city documents and news articles (from little local rags like the Los Angeles Times) from the late 1990's quoted Disney spokesmen as stating the structure cost "$90 Million" to build. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/11/entertainment/ca-10932
http://www.cp-dr.com/node/1205
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-10-09/news/mn-52109_1_disneyland-expansion

Fast forward 15 years, and what may be happening with that architecture firm is they are inflating the project by including the cost of the city bonds sold to build it in 1998-99. The city of Anaheim issued over $395 Million in civic bonds in 1996 to pay for the area street refurbishments, resort district beautification and rebuilds, new roads, and the parking structure itself. It cost $90 Million to build the structure back in 1998-99, but in the end cost is likely $240 Million once the city bonds are finally paid off later this century.

Either that, or they are just inflating the 1998 sales prices to 2015 audiences to make their architecture firm look better on their website. ;)
Well that does make more sense than just the structure itself costing that much back then.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So by your logic, you're proving my point...
press conference for benches, but a huge keynote presentation for Park and Resorts and no announcement for DHS and the Disneyland Resort?

Nope.

My point was that Disney can spin even the smallest thing into a press event. They could easily fill a 90 minute presentation with the things that are already in the works. They could also make announcements of new things while still being very lite on details. I am just trying to manage my expectations for what we will get at D23.

RayTheFirefly

Ok, so I'm just trying to get all this straight in my mind and lay it out there so we can know what exactly the rumors are. Apologies in advance if this has already been done.

What I'm gathering from @marni1971 's hint earlier is that the area in red is going to be the first area to have action. Should we expect wrecking balls, or do they plan on repurposing most of the buildings?

I also believe it's been suggested that the current pathway through Pixar Place will be closed off and become backstage, I'm guessing at either of those yellow lines?
And if this closure does happen, the new onstage pathway that will be "the expanded Pixar Place" will be where the blue line is, with an entrance where the blue line begins in the hub or where the green line begins by the former Jack Sparrow location, no?

Anyone want to chime in?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 264

Shaman

Ok, so I'm just trying to get all this straight in my mind and lay it out there so we can know what exactly the rumors are. Apologies in advance if this has already been done.

What I'm gathering from @marni1971 's hint earlier is that the area in red is going to be the first area to have action. Should we expect wrecking balls, or do they plan on repurposing most of the buildings?

I also believe it's been suggested that the current pathway through Pixar Place will be closed off and become backstage, I'm guessing at either of those yellow lines?
And if this closure does happen, the new onstage pathway that will be "the expanded Pixar Place" will be where the blue line is, with an entrance where the blue line begins in the hub or where the green line begins by the former Jack Sparrow location, no?

Anyone want to chime in?

I think someone mentioned a rumor that the entrance to Toy Story Mania might change too...maybe as part of the current Mania expansion/construction project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom