DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

JediMasterMatt

Here's the thing I don't understand about that... Aren't TDO and TDA run by largely the same people? What I mean is, right now Michael Colglazier is heading TDA, but he worked at WDW for a while; George A. Kalogridis leads TDO but he was just the head of Anaheim. Other people have gone back and forth between the two operations. While there certainly is some differences in how the resorts are run (especially based on the types of guests present for each), wouldn't you expect similar mindsets among leadership between the resorts due to the cross-pollination?

It goes beyond the leadership as it's just a revolving door. It's a mentality that has grown under the watch of Burbank over the years. The real issue is that the tail ends up wagging the dog in Orlando.

Once upon a time, it was a wonderful place to visit theme parks that had resorts there to support them. Then the profit model proved that the parks support the resorts as the resorts drive the profit margin.

DLR - 2 parks that happen to have some resorts near them.
WDW - 26 resorts that need to be filled and happen to have parks near them.

Chappie is supposedly making a big push to get quality up in Orlando as operationally its just a mess. The real proof will come when from a capital growth/plussing perspective Burbank will treat WDW's needs different from DLR's needs. Often both coast's resorts are treated as simple math - both get a piece of the budget. The reality should be that 2 parks in Anaheim need budgets for 2 parks. 4 parks in Orlando need 4 parks worth... plus a healthy "Fix-it Felix" budget to get quality back to where it should be. When you try treating WDW as one big resort and spread the capital "butter" over all of it, it leads to that feeling of stagnation that has festered their for so long.

Even under "Thanks Shanghai" operational budgets this year, DLR is still WAY ahead of where WDW is in terms of delivering Disney Parks quality.

All of the much needed growth underway in Orlando is a good thing; but, if it's not followed up with a change in mindset - they be in even worse shape after the Star Wars crowds descend. I think things are getting better; but, we won't for sure until we see what is queued up for post SW gets funded.

TeddyinMO

It goes beyond the leadership as it's just a revolving door. It's a mentality that has grown under the watch of Burbank over the years. The real issue is that the tail ends up wagging the dog in Orlando.

Once upon a time, it was a wonderful place to visit theme parks that had resorts there to support them. Then the profit model proved that the parks support the resorts as the resorts drive the profit margin.

Chappie is supposedly making a big push to get quality up in Orlando as operationally its just a mess. The real proof will come when from a capital growth/plussing perspective Burbank will treat WDW's needs different from DLR's needs. Often both coast's resorts are treated as simple math - both get a piece of the budget. The reality should be that 2 parks in Anaheim need budgets for 2 parks. 4 parks in Orlando need 4 parks worth... plus a healthy "Fix-it Felix" budget to get quality back to where it should be. When you try treating WDW as one big resort and spread the capital "butter" over all of it, it leads to that feeling of stagnation that has festered their for so long.

Even under "Thanks Shanghai" operational budgets this year, DLR is still WAY ahead of where WDW is in terms of delivering Disney Parks quality.

All of the much needed growth underway in Orlando is a good thing; but, if it's not followed up with a change in mindset - they be in even worse shape after the Star Wars crowds descend. I think things are getting better; but, we won't for sure until we see what is queued up for post SW gets funded.

Wait... This is impossible. Chappie hates WDW and wants to gut it and sell it off in pieces. I am sure of it. I know it's true. I read it on wdwmagic.com.

TeddyinMO

Point to anyone besides maybe @ford91exploder who has said anything close to that. I'll wait.
You do realize that was hyperbole, right?

But to give you an idea of what I was referring to - without calling out individual posters on old comments - here are a few of the quotes on these here forums that I am referring to. I think you can get the point that I was trying to make. All of these can be found with a quick search of the site. You may disagree, but I think my point is reasonable with quotes like these...
- "Chapek can eat tar and die."
- "Is Chappie doing his impression of Paul Pressler? #NeverForget"
- "That was the beginning of the Paul Pressler era, Of whom Chappie is the reincarnation of."
- "I'm surprised someone as money hungry as Chappie would know enough to notice or care."
- "Or simply Chappie, who remains clueless about the business unit he is running."
- "This is Chappie planting his flag. See what I can take away from the guest! See what power I have!!! Absolute, contempt for the guest. Chappie, absolutely, positively, can't be trusted to pump gas."
- "I was never excited because Chappie was named immediately as his replacement. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Chappie has had a year to prove ... he needs to leave the company and go sell stuff to Target and Sears ..."
- "Chappie's "sensibilities" are so crude and venal, god knows what we'll get. I look forward to the actual plans with dread..."
- "Yuppers -- that sounds like Chappie, alright. Chappie is neither rocket scientist nor good host to his guests. But he's what's most important at Disney these days: one helluva powerful Cash Vacuum."
- "(love that autocorrect keeps turning Chappie to Crappie!)"

Mike S

But to give you an idea of what I was referring to - without calling out individual posters on old comments - here are a few of the quotes on these here forums that I am referring to. I think you can get the point that I was trying to make. All of these can be found with a quick search of the site. You may disagree, but I think my point is reasonable with quotes like these...
- "That was the beginning of the Paul Pressler era, Of whom Chappie is the reincarnation of."
- "I'm surprised someone as money hungry as Chappie would know enough to notice or care."
- "Or simply Chappie, who remains clueless about the business unit he is running."
- "This is Chappie planting his flag. See what I can take away from the guest! See what power I have!!! Absolute, contempt for the guest. Chappie, absolutely, positively, can't be trusted to pump gas."
- "I was never excited because Chappie was named immediately as his replacement. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Chappie has had a year to prove ... he needs to leave the company and go sell stuff to Target and Sears ..."
- "Chappie's "sensibilities" are so crude and venal, god knows what we'll get. I look forward to the actual plans with dread..."
- "Yuppers -- that sounds like Chappie, alright. Chappie is neither rocket scientist nor good host to his guests. But he's what's most important at Disney these days: one helluva powerful Cash Vacuum."
It's all based on the fact that he's a merchandise guy who has been put at the head of P&R. He may have good intentions of trying to get WDW to work more like DL but there's still the stigma of everything coming out being based on IP and trying to open in time with the movies for synergy purposes with the best examples being the Guardians overlay in DCA and the rumored Wreck-It Ralph replacement of Stitch* both tying into the upcoming sequels.

*Even though we won't miss Stitch.
Hey @Mike S Thanks for the shoutout! :) You do know that Iger tried to SELL P&R to Prince Alaweed back in 2007, The 2008 financial crisis stopped that but P&R was up for sale and it would not surprise me if Iger tried again.
Yes that's what's been rumored but I don't think he would try again. He would be brain dead to give up that cash cow.

TeddyinMO

It's all based on the fact that he's a merchandise guy who has been put at the head of P&R. He may have good intentions of trying to get WDW to work more like DL but there's still the stigma of everything coming out being based on IP and trying to open in time with the movies for synergy purposes with the best examples being the Guardians overlay in DCA and the rumored Wreck-It Ralph replacement of Stitch* both tying into the upcoming sequels.

*Even though we won't miss Stitch.

I mostly agree with this statement and understand the concerns, although I have no problem with more IP.

I just think the constant bashing of everything and everyone as "the worst thing ever" or so and so "wants to eat your children and charge you to watch just ruins any intelligent discussion. We will see if the current leadership is good for WDW. But it is going to take 10 years or so before we really know.

Decisions being made today may prove to ruin WDW. On the other hand, they could lead to a rebirth of an aging park that will make it better than ever. We shall see. In the meantime, back to DHS' future.

Bacon

For any of the insiders, are we still looking at new entertainment and shows both daytime and night or has that been scaled back too? Also is there any chance they address the former animation building because as of now it seems slated to just sit there empty (though i'm sure they don't see a problem with that).
BATB and VOTLM are both getting replacements soon trust me, as for your second question once SWL opens they will shatter SWLB and maybe the building will be destroyed altogether.

DDLand

Which leads to another story for another day about whether or not TDO is going to continue to TDO or if Chapek's going to get them playing ball. Early word is that it's still very much a work in progress and there is a lot of kicking and screaming behind the scenes.
That's interesting. I imagine that a large part of the dust up is over losing fiefdoms (like control over certain Disneyland ops), but what else is causing problems? Is Chapek basically saying he wants them to spend more on the customer experience? Or is it a "I want Disneyland quality at unreasonably low costs" mandate?

I suppose part of the problem lies with being told that the way you've been doing things for a decade (or two) is incorrect. Still why fight the trend if your superior is instructing you to spend more?

In essence what's TDO's problem?

Mike S

I mostly agree with this statement and understand the concerns, although I have no problem with more IP.

I just think the constant bashing of everything and everyone as "the worst thing ever" or so and so "wants to eat your children and charge you to watch just ruins any intelligent discussion. We will see if the current leadership is good for WDW. But it is going to take 10 years or so before we really know.

Decisions being made today may prove to ruin WDW. On the other hand, they could lead to a rebirth of an aging park that will make it better than ever. We shall see. In the meantime, back to DHS' future.
I read those types of posts as over exaggeration for effect or simply a joke (this is the internet after all) and look for the underlying point. I'm guilty of making a few of those myself. Sometimes it does go too far like selling off WDW or closing DLP.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Very well said. In fact, accurately said. There will be an effort to improve park quality in terms of "Disney Standards" in Florida, it's already underway. The DHS problems in the future are not being ignored at all. They are keenly aware that this park will need more C & D ticket support. There are some creative ways this may be addressed. There is still something significant on the horizon. The announcement cycle for "Big Things" is 2 years. 1 year down, one to go.

*1023*

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

I am a fan of hyperbole. Watching it on television every 4 years is a real treat.

Of course, the idea that people are frustrated wth something isn't foreign. Especially so, when it comes to fans. Being creative in voicing your displeasure can also be amusing. I'm certain I spot several humorous comments amongst them. I can also understand how people might call out or vent their angst at the figure head of a particular company or division.

What I take from the comments you gathered, is people are unconvinced he will do or is doing a good job in his current post. Being a website devoted to the subject matter of Disney, I think people have a lot of passion or interest in the subject or they would not have found themselves at wdwmagic.com . Further, being a forum to talk about such matters will garner opinions and information across a spectrum of good and bad. If you have a list of accomplishments that Bob has brought about to support your argument, I'd go that way.

Take what you want. Ignore what you don't. My ignore feature weeds out the people that I find lacking. It also keeps my blood pressure lower.

*1023*

DinoInstitute

Very well said. In fact, accurately said. There will be an effort to improve park quality in terms of "Disney Standards" in Florida, it's already underway. The DHS problems in the future are not being ignored at all. They are keenly aware that this park will need more C & D ticket support. There are some creative ways this may be addressed. There is still something significant on the horizon. The announcement cycle for "Big Things" is 2 years. 1 year down, one to go.

*1023*
That's all I needed to hear:happy::p

BrianLo

Far too small..... Would have been better with the C-ticket..... Frustrated at the left coast's lack of expansion space...( This effort really cried out for more than 3 moving attractions.)

I'd kind of prefer they went the Potter route and did a new planet in a different park if its popularity warrants a further major expansion. Unlike Potter, it does not need a transport link between the two. Albeit, would be super interesting if they tried to pull that off in DLR.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd kind of prefer they went the Potter route and did a new planet in a different park if its popularity warrants a further major expansion. Unlike Potter, it does not need a transport link between the two. Albeit, would be super interesting if they tried to pull that off in DLR.
Ewok Village in DAK? But I agree. Star Wars is too big to just have that limited it where it's being located at DHS.

Goofyernmost

Yep. I've said it appears difficult to expand the land much more further south and east.
I might have myself twisted around here, but, it seems to me that they are completely limited in any easterly expansion due to backstage requirements of things located in that direction, however, all it would take is a little money to have all kinds of room to expand to the south. Especially since it seems that they are moving the main entrance away from where it is now. Even if it meant that they had to move the wetlands to another spot. Expensive yes, but, seems like at least it's possible if it is deemed necessary.

Mike S

Also unlike Potter, it wouldn't work as well outside of DHS.
Ok... maybe not a different park in WDW. :p
I agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom