DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
"Walt wouldn't have wanted this"...the laziest excuse a Disney fan can ever have to hating something just 'cause it's new or replacing something beloved.

Not sure if this comment related to my post. I hope not. The second paragraph I wrote comes from public and private statements and recollections of others. I hope that TWDC finds someone with vision to lead not only it's theme parks, but the company as a whole. Moving forward in ways that exemplify the previous example. As I said, we'll never know what he would think.

Modern Disney invoking that Walt would love their current offerings is just as bad if not worse.

You could ask what is left of the "Old Men" what they think he would say. It is not too far fetched that a company would tout their latest, greatest as an extension of their founder's work. It's one universally in the corporate world. (KFC, FORD, DODGE, WENDY's, Carl's Jr.....) We may feel that many newer offerings lack the spirit, heart and creativity of the work of the company's founding members, but unfortunately the only measure of success is what will drive Wall Street.

I assure you, the new world of Pandora will have the quality and heart of Radiator Springs. While some may not like the inclusion of such a property in a Disney park, there is no doubt that despite it's roots, it will be a wonder to experience many, many times.

Now specific to DHS, SWL and TSL will be an example of great and good enough, in my opinion. Adding to those in other locations will also add great. This park will still be shy of a full day experience (unless you go within a year or so of SWL opening). I think we can start putting on our wigs and judging this park at the end of 2020.

*1023*

HauntedMansionFLA

Not sure if this comment related to my post. I hope not. The second paragraph I wrote comes from public and private statements and recollections of others. I hope that TWDC finds someone with vision to lead not only it's theme parks, but the company as a whole. Moving forward in ways that exemplify the previous example. As I said, we'll never know what he would think.

You could ask what is left of the "Old Men" what they think he would say. It is not too far fetched that a company would tout their latest, greatest as an extension of their founder's work. It's one universally in the corporate world. (KFC, FORD, DODGE, WENDY's, Carl's Jr.....) We may feel that many newer offerings lack the spirit, heart and creativity of the work of the company's founding members, but unfortunately the only measure of success is what will drive Wall Street.

I assure you, the new world of Pandora will have the quality and heart of Radiator Springs. While some may not like the inclusion of such a property in a Disney park, there is no doubt that despite it's roots, it will be a wonder to experience many, many times.

Now specific to DHS, SWL and TSL will be an example of great and good enough, in my opinion. Adding to those in other locations will also add great. This park will still be shy of a full day experience (unless you go within a year or so of SWL opening). I think we can start putting on our wigs and judging this park at the end of 2020.

*1023*
Very well put. It will be interesting to see who the next CEO/Chairperson will be for the Walt Disney Company. I hope it's someone who can bring some of the magic back into the name. Iger has done a pretty good job but has stayed too long. Can't wait for the future of DHS.

flyerjab

*1023*

DHS will need more, assuredly so. I am hoping "they" see the benefits of having truly immersive lands/experiences of their non-classic IPs and add more. The front half of this park is still a wonder to behold for me. Having a drink at the slightly below-grade patio at Brown Derby is a wonderful way to relax in that park. Now add the Star Wars Experience, Toy Story Land, a plussed Muppets area and an E-Ticket Mickey trackless ride and things are better.

But they can't stop there. The park would still seem "oddly" crafted. Animation Courtyard and the Indy area would be begging to be flattered and repurposed.

DisneyManOne

With all respect, it wasn't related to your posts, my friend. I was just saying that it's a fairly common complaint.

Magenta Panther

Modern Disney invoking that Walt would love their current offerings is just as bad if not worse.

Correct. What's especially pitiable is when someone tries to justify the Star Wars takeover of part of Disneyland with Walt's declaration of "Disneyland will never be finished". I really feel sorry for people who think that's applicable. They don't get Walt Disney at all.

cheezbat

DHS will need more, assuredly so. I am hoping "they" see the benefits of having truly immersive lands/experiences of their non-classic IPs and add more. The front half of this park is still a wonder to behold for me. Having a drink at the slightly below-grade patio at Brown Derby is a wonderful way to relax in that park. Now add the Star Wars Experience, Toy Story Land, a plussed Muppets area and an E-Ticket Mickey trackless ride and things are better.

But they can't stop there. The park would still seem "oddly" crafted. Animation Courtyard and the Indy area would be begging to be flattered and repurposed.
So completely agree with you. These new lands will be shiny and exciting, and the entryway is so well crafted, but then you turn towards Echo Lake and see the mess of The Frozen theater, Backlot Express, and Indy, or turn right towards the former Animation Courtyard and its just a disaster. I truly hope these areas are on the chopping block soon.

zengoth

Not sure if this has been mentioned but blog mickey is reporting that they heard this sunday (9/25) as the last day for the writing shop.
I walked in last Saturday and the place was practically barren. I'd read that it was an overflow space for folks waiting for their scifi diner reservation - but there are no books, videos, writing gifts anymore. Just more kitchen stuff and mugs. And a bar. Might as well close it - it ain't the Writer's Stop anymore.

wdwgreek

So completely agree with you. These new lands will be shiny and exciting, and the entryway is so well crafted, but then you turn towards Echo Lake and see the mess of The Frozen theater, Backlot Express, and Indy, or turn right towards the former Animation Courtyard and its just a disaster. I truly hope these areas are on the chopping block soon.

Area by Area DHS needs work, While I would argue and have argued that sunset Blvd and Hollywood Boulevard are thematically in good shape, every other area of the current park will need to be gutted after SWL and TSL open.

brb1006

I hope Universal gives its Mario-land the same attention to detail it gave to its Dr. Seuss area. That place just blew my mind the first time I saw it. Bright, whimsical, immersive - I really felt like I'd walked into a Dr. Seuss book. Can you imagine a Princess Peach's Castle and a Mushroom Kingdom you can really walk through and experience? Man, I can't wait. Is there any concept art out there yet for Mario/Nintendo Land?
Give it a few years

Fox&Hound

So with DCA getting a new Guardians-themed ToT, is all of Hollywoodland changing to super heroes? If so, would the powers that be ever consider shipping the Monsters Inc ride to WDW? I understand it would not be shipped in a big ol' fedex box, but I could see them gutting it and transporting the pieces so they could build a ride system in DHS and filling it with the recycled parts. Is it on the table????

MagicHappens1971

So with DCA getting a new Guardians-themed ToT, is all of Hollywoodland changing to super heroes? If so, would the powers that be ever consider shipping the Monsters Inc ride to WDW? I understand it would not be shipped in a big ol' fedex box, but I could see them gutting it and transporting the pieces so they could build a ride system in DHS and filling it with the recycled parts. Is it on the table????
Joe Rhode alluded to the idea that GOTG would be the anchor to a whole new "universe", and rumors are that a Marvel Land will be coming to DCA. And I couldn't see them moving the Monsters Inc ride, but maybe.

Monoblanco13

I honestly wouldn't want the Monsters Inc attraction here. I think it's bland and way to reminiscent of the previous slow attraction Superstar limo. I am hoping TDO one day brings the Door coaster to life, though its wishful thinking.

Rich T

I honestly wouldn't want the Monsters Inc attraction here. I think it's bland and way to reminiscent of the previous slow attraction Superstar limo. I am hoping TDO one day brings the Door coaster to life, though its wishful thinking.
I agree. DCA's Monster's Inc ride is fun for a patched-together redo of Superstar Limo, but it's got problems. It's a book report, it's slow and bland, and (except for the excellent Roz figure at the end) the characters' mouths don't move, yet they spout line after line of dialogue, making the whole thing feel like a creepy wax museum. You guys in Florida want the Tokyo Monster's Inc., not the DCA version.

Mike S

I agree. DCA's Monster's Inc ride is fun for a patched-together redo of Superstar Limo, but it's got problems. It's a book report, it's slow and bland, and (except for the excellent Roz figure at the end) the characters' mouths don't move, yet they spout line after line of dialogue, making the whole thing feel like a creepy wax museum. You guys in Florida want the Tokyo Monster's Inc., not the DCA version.
Isn't that how the Fantasyland dark rides are as well?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know that DHS is getting a new name soon.. And I believe one rumored one was Disneys Animation Studios.. Any one have input?

First I have heard that name, and I don't think it's likely. They want to move away from the studio concept so I don't think that word will be in the name, and with Star Wars Land being a big part of DHS, it will be exclusively focused on animation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom