DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ToTBellHop

No sarcasm. I never thought the speedway was so loved. Pls accept apologies. My point, however, remains: toy story land would not be out of place in the MK.
Yes, it would. Our Magic Kingdom, thankfully, still doesn't have IP-lands.

I know it's overused, but the MK-style parks were kinda his thing. He'd already be turning in his grave over Epcot, and he'd turn again if a land in a MK park was based on an IP rather than a general theme (adventure, frontier, fantasy, tomorrow, as you may have heard). He'd hate Star Wars Land in DL and Toy Story Playland in Hong Kong. Things like this have no place in a Magic Kingdom.

Goofyernmost

I really could care less about the name change, because I don't believe they'll come up with a better alternative. Is Epcot really the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow? Is Animal Kingdom really a Kingdom..? Reaching, but..
Not to put to fine a point on anything, but, just for future reference... If you say you really could care less it means that you really do care. The proper way to put that is... I really couldn't care less. Now that is out of the way. Lets examine Epcot. EPCOT was an acronym which stood for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Which was Walt's name for the city that he planned to build. Granted that didn't apply even when EPCOT Ctr. first opened. It was neither a prototype nor a community. When they changed the name to Epcot, it just became a name (word) with no meaning at all other then a familiar identification of a location. As for the Kingdom part of Animal Kingdom that other place is not a Kingdom either and it isn't really Magical. ;)

Last edited:

Slowjack

Not to put to fine a point on anything, but, just for future reference... If you say you really could care less it means that you really do care. The proper way to put that is... I really couldn't care less. Now that is out of the way. Lets examine Epcot. EPCOT was an acronym which stood for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Which was Walt's name for the city that he planned to build. Granted that didn't apply even when EPCOT Ctr. first opened. It was neither a prototype nor a community. When they changed the name to Epcot, it just became a name (word) with no meaning at all other then a familiar identification of a location. As for the Kingdom part of Animal Kingdom that other place is not a Kingdom either and it isn't really Magical. ;)
The official explanation for the park name when EPCOT Center first opened was that WDW as whole was Walt's EPCOT, a testing ground for new ideas in community development. EPCOT Center itself was a theme park devoted to the ideas behind EPCOT. In other words, they never claimed EPCOT Center was Walt's EPCOT. That said, people like Marty Sklar had trouble keeping a straight face claiming that WDW was, in fact, a realization of Walt's dream. To be fair, when EPCOT Center was opening, they still had plans to at least develop the Lake Buena Vista area into something like a real town (as opposed to the faux-town aesthetic of Disney Springs).

None of this undermines your main point--that names lose their original associations over time, and are always a bit arbitrary to begin with.

ToTBellHop

Toon town fair is not a I.P land when we mean I.P land we mean star wars toystory etc... that would be like saying fantasy land is a ip land cause SDMT
While Mickey himself is IP, Toontown Fair wasn't. It was ostensibly a country fair coming to the town where the Disney cartoon characters live. As you say, that's not an IP land any more than Fantasyland. The concept of an IP land arguably began with places like A Bug's Land, Toy Story Playland, and, with greater success, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and is now quite en vogue. I still prefer to keep any IP to a single attraction. There are very few IPs worthy of 12 acres. HP and Star Wars are notable exceptions. But, neither belong in a Magic Kingdom.

Imagine the alternate universe where Disney swallowed its pride a bit and actually got the HP rights for DHS.

Mike S

While Mickey himself is IP, Toontown Fair wasn't. It was ostensibly a country fair coming to the town where the Disney cartoon characters live. As you say, that's not an IP land any more than Fantasyland. The concept of an IP land arguably began with places like A Bug's Land, Toy Story Playland, and, with greater success, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and is now quite en vogue. I still prefer to keep any IP to a single attraction. There are very few IPs worthy of 12 acres. HP, Star Wars, and Nintendo are notable exceptions. But, neither belong in a Magic Kingdom.

Imagine the alternate universe where Disney swallowed its pride a bit and actually got the HP rights for DHS.
;)

Magenta Panther

Considering the rumors that it'll be mostly Mario rather than a mish mash plus the execution of it, I humbly disagree.

I hope Universal gives its Mario-land the same attention to detail it gave to its Dr. Seuss area. That place just blew my mind the first time I saw it. Bright, whimsical, immersive - I really felt like I'd walked into a Dr. Seuss book. Can you imagine a Princess Peach's Castle and a Mushroom Kingdom you can really walk through and experience? Man, I can't wait. Is there any concept art out there yet for Mario/Nintendo Land?

Mike S

Hasn't the rumor been that it will be Mario... and Donkey Kong... and Yoshi?
Yes, and it's heavily implied that all those characters exist in the same universe. The "Mario Universe," if you will.

It's not like if it was Mario/Zelda/Pokémon.
I hope Universal gives its Mario-land the same attention to detail it gave to its Dr. Seuss area. That place just blew my mind the first time I saw it. Bright, whimsical, immersive - I really felt like I'd walked into a Dr. Seuss book. Can you imagine a Princess Peach's Castle and a Mushroom Kingdom you can really walk through and experience? Man, I can't wait. Is there any concept art out there yet for Mario/Nintendo Land?
Not yet unfortunately. The wait for the official announcement and seeing if all the rumors are true is killing me.

Back to DHS.

djkidkaz

Yes, it would. Our Magic Kingdom, thankfully, still doesn't have IP-lands.

I know it's overused, but the MK-style parks were kinda his thing. He'd already be turning in his grave over Epcot, and he'd turn again if a land in a MK park was based on an IP rather than a general theme (adventure, frontier, fantasy, tomorrow, as you may have heard). He'd hate Star Wars Land in DL and Toy Story Playland in Hong Kong. Things like this have no place in a Magic Kingdom.

Walt turned in his grave the moment Epcot even got built considering they couldn't figure out how to do it the way Walt wanted it. He would probably be like "what the hell is this world showcase? I said I wanted Epcot to be a showcase to the world not a world showcase."

FigmentForver96

Walt turned in his grave the moment Epcot even got built considering they couldn't figure out how to do it the way Walt wanted it. He would probably be like "what the hell is this world showcase? I said I wanted Epcot to be a showcase to the world not a world showcase."
Maybe and I hate to do Walt debates because I don't know nor really care what he thinks at this point because it doesn't matter but I think he would be satisfied with what EPCOT Center became. It truly was a park that showed the world how things could only get better if we work together.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Hard to say what Walt would think. He was fond of the "World's Fair" and the coming together of tech and community. Who's to say? Would it have even been possible to do what he wanted with EPCOT to begin with. The plans required a lot of buy-in from industry leaders and would have included some infrastructure that my not have been feasible for other communities. Sadly, we will never know.

What we do know is, Walt wanted things to evolve and develop. He wanted to replace old ideas with new ones. He loved educating and entertaining people.I am not sure he would be offended by anything EPCOT Center was when it was created. What it used to be. Maybe now he would be concerned with it's lack of vision. Again, sadly, we will never know.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom