DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Matt_Black

Also considering Hulk Hogans more recent ventures into TV entertainment, it also confirms the Brain Eating Ameba in the Lagoon.

0PfMfYb.gif

Bear in mind, I must repeat that this show is powerfully stupid.

Goofyernmost

img_8283-jpg.159108

Lights,Motors,Action stadium is officially history as of today courtesy of @WDWtraveler for the latest photo.

I have a question about that Quonset hut. Wasn't there one on the original backlot tour that they said was a filming location "pool" for the Hulk Hogan TV program... I don't remember the name of it. Is that the same hut or was that added later for some other reason?

@marni1971, thanks for the look see, but, I think that I am not wording this right or something. It seems that I distinctly remember, in the early years of the Back Lot Tour in Disney/MGM, that the tram went past a Quonset Hut, not to long before CC. It seems that I remember the CM guide saying that there was a pool inside the Hut, that you could actually see from the tram, and that it was used for filming some of the water scenes for Paradise. I have a fairly good memory, but, not as detailed as some. I remember the Hut, but, I could be mistaken about it's location.

The Hut in the lower left corner of the first picture, I'm told is now or, at least, has been used for Fireworks prep. My question is based on it's location is it possible that is the same Hut used for Paradise filming back in the day or is that a different one with the original long gone into the bowels of Disney History? (Also known as the landfill.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971, thanks for the look see, but, I think that I am not wording this right or something. It seems that I distinctly remember, in the early years of the Back Lot Tour in Disney/MGM, that the tram went past a Quonset Hut, not to long before CC. It seems that I remember the CM guide saying that there was a pool inside the Hut, that you could actually see from the tram, and that it was used for filming some of the water scenes for Paradise. I have a fairly good memory, but, not as detailed as some. I remember the Hut, but, I could be mistaken about it's location.

The Hut in the lower left corner of the first picture, I'm told is now or, at least, has been used for Fireworks prep. My question is based on it's location is it possible that is the same Hut used for Paradise filming back in the day or is that a different one with the original long gone into the bowels of Disney History? (Also known as the landfill.)
You mean the white roofed curved structure?

Goofyernmost

You mean the white roofed curved structure?
Yes, sir... there was one on the backlot tour that was identified as a swimming segment set for the Paradise show. I always thought that, based on it's location, that was still there, obviously used for different purposes, but, the same one none the less. That is the part that I am not sure of. I am sure that there was one before with a Hulk Hogan connection. What I am not sure of is if that is the same re-purposed one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, sir... there was one on the backlot tour that was identified as a swimming segment set for the Paradise show. I always thought that, based on it's location, that was still there, obviously used for different purposes, but, the same one none the less. That is the part that I am not sure of. I am sure that there was one before with a Hulk Hogan connection. What I am not sure of is if that is the same re-purposed one.
I don't know. A bit of digging says it's been there since 1995 at least, though it is on the park perimeter road, not any of the Tram tour routes.

Goofyernmost

I don't know. A bit of digging says it's been there since 1995 at least, though it is on the park perimeter road, not any of the Tram tour routes.
It may very well be a different one, but, if I remember correctly wasn't Catastrophe Canyon tram ride road right along side the perimeter road? I do remember seeing one for years after the long, successful run (tee hee) of Paradise was over and they never mentioned what it was used for after that, but, I remember seeing it and just assumed it was just not used anymore. Like I said, I could be confusing the exact location on the Backlot tour, it might even have been much closer to the sound stages. Not that important in all reality. Thanks for trying though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It may very well be a different one, but, if I remember correctly wasn't Catastrophe Canyon tram ride road right along side the perimeter road?.

In this area the perimeter and tram roads were quite separate. In later years a dense bush / forest separated them here, in earlier times I dare say the growth would have been less. I'd say it's a temporary ribbed plastic sheet structure that could pop up and down and move with ease, but like I said this one seems to have been anchored for over two decades.

Goofyernmost

In this area the perimeter and tram roads were quite separate. In later years a dense bush / forest separated them here, in earlier times I dare say the growth would have been less. I'd say it's a temporary ribbed plastic sheet structure that could pop up and down and move with ease, but like I said this one seems to have been anchored for over two decades.
The timing seems to indicate that this is the one that I mistook for the other one. Like I said, not really important, and my memory of it is foggy. I also have a tough time thinking that something that looked that flimsy to begin with would have lasted out in the open for that many years. Even the 20 seems like a stretch for a life span.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It may very well be a different one, but, if I remember correctly wasn't Catastrophe Canyon tram ride road right along side the perimeter road?
A correction - the trams did indeed use the perimeter road during LMAs construction. This would have gotten you right next to the "tent", which was indeed there in 2005. As well as 2004. And 1995. And 2010...

I've traced it as far back as 1994. It was not there in 1989.

Goofyernmost

A correction - the trams did indeed use the perimeter road during LMAs construction. This would have gotten you right next to the "tent", which was indeed there in 2005. As well as 2004. And 1995. And 2010...

Well, 1994 was Thunder in Paradise's only year of being shown. They might have carried the idea over assuming some of the people riding the tour had seen one or two episodes, so the timing is right, I guess. However, it is hard to believe that the same one would have been visible long before LMA was even started. Back in 94 they were still riding up residential street.

raymusiccity

I think it's just the way theme parks have changed over the years. People love to toot Universals horn right now but what is happening to the theme parks is because of them. It all goes back to Potter and the theming of the land, the special merchandise, the specific food. They see it as not just about rides anymore, it's the experience. I don't think they see it as SWL has only two rides, they see it as it has numerous experiences. 2 attractions, meet and greets, the cantina, blue milk, photo ops with the falcon, etc.

#ThanksPotter

I agree with most of what you've stated. With Potter, I think it's more like two out of three ain't bad. The 'merchandise' end of it is pretty much of a flop. They may be selling some overpriced wands, but, the plush owls are gathering lots of dust.

PorterRedkey

@marni1971, you are so awesome! Who knows this stuff? The answer - Martin. Oh and I love the new video!

spaceghost

I agree with most of what you've stated. With Potter, I think it's more like two out of three ain't bad. The 'merchandise' end of it is pretty much of a flop. They may be selling some overpriced wands, but, the plush owls are gathering lots of dust.
Is this really the case? It seems like between wands, robes, apparel, chocolate frogs, and other unique items, there's a ton of merch business going on there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom