DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

matt9112

Nothing definitive since the announcement at D23. Two new rides, a heavily themed area, a cantina that will feature the traveling cantina band. I would anticipate that at least one of the two new rides is an E-ticket, but it's possible that both are.

Everyone is stuck on that band....I hope it differs from the movie.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Wrong it has EVERYTHING to do with budget specifically the lack of a sufficient budget to get this done in a reasonable timeframe. The original attraction in CA did not take that long to build. It's all about spreading the spend over 2-3 quarters.

And what facts do you have to back up that Disney is doing this to spread the cost over 2-3 quarters. My work in construction shows that if you spread the time line of any construction project out past the "critical path" you increase cost. So if you where doing this you would also be running up cost. I think what Disney has been doing is following the critical path and saving funding by not doing the work to quickly and not doing it to show. Now if that spreads the work over 2-3 quarters then so be it.

matt9112

You get 30 minute waits for Peter Pan? At Disneyland it is always at least an hour! I haven't been on that ride in years because I refuse to wait that long for a simple dark ride. I can do almost all of Fantasyland in that time.

No way it's 90 minutes a half hour after park opens.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And what facts do you have to back up that Disney is doing this to spread the cost over 2-3 quarters. My work in construction shows that if you spread the time line of any construction project out past the "critical path" you increase cost. So if you where doing this you would also be running up cost. I think what Disney has been doing is following the critical path and saving funding by not doing the work to quickly and not doing it to show. Now if that spreads the work over 2-3 quarters then so be it.

Where did I say it would cost less??? I said spread the spend Projects with spread spend usually cost MORE What it does do is limit the per quarter cash burn. And since the earnings calls have all been about how a fraction of a percent is an earthshaking move it makes sense to spread the spend.

boufa

Where did I say it would cost less??? I said spread the spend Projects with spread spend usually cost MORE What it does do is limit the per quarter cash burn. And since the earnings calls have all been about how a fraction of a percent is an earthshaking move it makes sense to spread the spend.
This is no different for any publicly traded company. Don't make Disney seem like it is cooking the books, or doing something special. Additionally, they are not in a hurry, WE are. So long as WE are on a different page than THEM, there will be disgruntled people.

Their attendance was up 7% last year. Just think about how much we fans have complained about the parks in the last 12 months. Yet attendance has never been higher. Walls everywhere, the perception that DHS has closed everything (when its not really that much), Hub, AK, DTD..errr.. Disney Springs, major construction at several resorts, the Poly in particular. But attendance is up 7%. This in an industry that shoots off fireworks for 1-2% increases.

They are not bumbling fools, who make it up as they go. They have a plan, they have a timetable, and they are executing it, without regard to how impatient we are as fans. We passionate fans might not like the timetables or the process, but in the end we are a minor factor in the process.... and so long as they keep posting attendance increases, you can forget about anything changing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is no different for any publicly traded company. Don't make Disney seem like it is cooking the books, or doing something special. Additionally, they are not in a hurry, WE are. So long as WE are on a different page than THEM, there will be disgruntled people.

Their attendance was up 7% last year. Just think about how much we fans have complained about the parks in the last 12 months. Yet attendance has never been higher. Walls everywhere, the perception that DHS has closed everything (when its not really that much), Hub, AK, DTD..errr.. Disney Springs, major construction at several resorts, the Poly in particular. But attendance is up 7%. This in an industry that shoots off fireworks for 1-2% increases.

They are not bumbling fools, who make it up as they go. They have a plan, they have a timetable, and they are executing it, without regard to how impatient we are as fans. We passionate fans might not like the timetables or the process, but in the end we are a minor factor in the process.... and so long as they keep posting attendance increases, you can forget about anything changing.

Attendance is high because WDW has been running a massive discount program for South America but it seems not to be working as desired because as of the last earnings call Attendance was UP yet revenue was flat and PCGS went up by only 1% which was likely due to the CM blackouts.

Iwerks64

And to me, this is the essence of the problem, and not just with the Walt Disney Corporation. To any publicly traded company, we are not the customer any longer. Wall Street is.

TWDC used to have a very clear mission statement - "to make people happy". It's been changed in the last few years. I suggest people look up what it is now.

Figment2005

And to me, this is the essence of the problem, and not just with the Walt Disney Corporation. To any publicly traded company, we are not the customer any longer. Wall Street is.

TWDC used to have a very clear mission statement - "to make people happy". It's been changed in the last few years. I suggest people look up what it is now.
So you're saying Disney isn't making people happy anymore, or are you complaining that Disney isn't focusing on just what makes you happy? Big difference between the two.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So you're saying Disney isn't making people happy anymore, or are you complaining that Disney isn't focusing on just what makes you happy? Big difference between the two.

There is a third option you are missing. TWDC's mission is to make the Wall St Analyst community happy and that commitment has superceded making the 'Street happy. Look at the P&R numbers attendance is up 7% yet PCGS is only up by 1%,

With the cuts in quality and variety in Merchandise and Experiences - it used to be on a 10 day trip we'd need our resort limit raised a couple of times, Past 2 years we got nowhere near the limit as there is nothing we really want to spend money on. $40 bucks for a T-shirt which is thinner than the average WalMart shirt - no thank you we would rather buy high quality shirts from outfits like 'The Mountain' no they don't say Disney and concentrate on animal and nature themes but they are $15 dollars and we have a few that have seen a decade of service without fading.

Where is the Unique stuff that you could buy only at Disney and enjoy for years instead of overpriced cheap junk which lasts weeks or months. Used to be that you could buy a Citizen Mickey Mouse watch (only at Disney of course) DW and I have them along with cheapies for kids. Now it's some mass produced piece of junk and the expensive ones are still cheapies but they added rhinestones.

The spending patterns should be a warning to Disney that all is not well.

Edited to fix GUESTS to the 'Street (too much blood in caffeine system at creation)

Last edited:

Figment2005

There is a third option you are missing. TWDC's mission is to make the Wall St Analyst community happy and that commitment has superceded making GUESTS happy. Look at the P&R numbers attendance is up 7% yet PCGS is only up by 1%,

With the cuts in quality and variety in Merchandise and Experiences - it used to be on a 10 day trip we'd need our resort limit raised a couple of times, Past 2 years we got nowhere near the limit as there is nothing we really want to spend money on. $40 bucks for a T-shirt which is thinner than the average WalMart shirt - no thank you we would rather buy high quality shirts from outfits like 'The Mountain' no they don't say Disney and concentrate on animal and nature themes but they are $15 dollars and we have a few that have seen a decade of service without fading.

Where is the Unique stuff that you could buy only at Disney and enjoy for years instead of overpriced cheap junk which lasts weeks or months. Used to be that you could buy a Citizen Mickey Mouse watch (only at Disney of course) DW and I have them along with cheapies for kids. Now it's some mass produced piece of junk and the expensive ones are still cheapies but they added rhinestones.

The spending patterns should be a warning to Disney that all is not well.
Okay, so you are spending less money and time at the resort. Last I checked you weren't the end all be all for how the other millions of people each year that visit the resort feel.The whole "we" mentality only works if everyone included agrees, and I can tell you for a fact that not everyone you are grouping with you agrees.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, so you are spending less money and time at the resort. Last I checked you weren't the end all be all for how the other millions of people each year that visit the resort feel.The whole "we" mentality only works if everyone included agrees, and I can tell you for a fact that not everyone you are grouping with you agrees.

I don't expect them to, But the numbers speak for themselves an increase in attendance should translate to a nearly linear increase in PCGS as a function of attendance growth. It has not. In point of fact PCGS is now at the point of going negative. That tells me that the vast majority of guests at the parks are spending LESS. it's not JUST me. And if you do a classical poisson distribution some are spending more, some less but the aggregate spending is dropping.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Walt's business model was - do everything a great as you can and then when people see it they will tell other people who will want to see the excellence for themselves. Roy made the guest-first model that Walt wanted into a realistic business model. A perfect team really.

As opposed to the current one which is do just enough so the rubes dont call the BBB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom