DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

French Quarter

Sometimes you have to double check the forum heading here to be sure you haven't stumbled upon the Complaint Forum. View attachment 119418
Every annual trip I've made to WDW in the past six years has brought something new/
Right now WDW is churning out projects or about to - that are simply stunning.
Disney Springs, Pandora, Star Wars...
Some things like Future World in Epcot need some help, but their time will come.
We can nit pick on the negatives, but they are dwarfed by the positives.

That is exactly what it feels like with a lot of the posters here- always focus on the negative. I am with you. I always have an amazing time when I got WDW and am super excited about all the new projects.

French Quarter

Actually they are, People are visiting Disney because of it's reputation built up over years unfortunately many first timers are severely disappointed in the experience, It's not like it was years ago when the first question a first timer asked upon getting home is 'when can we go back', Now for many it's more of a 'bucket list' item and that's a bad thing.

Yes there are some who first timers who have a great time and want to go back but the crowding, complexity and rigidity of the current WDW turns many people off on repeat WDW visits.

How in the world could you possibly know this? Did you conduct scientific research?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How in the world could you possibly know this? Did you conduct scientific research?

In our neighborhood we are known as Disney 'experts' DW is a schoolteacher so interacts with a lot of parents, All we have is the anecdotal reports from people recently who have visited the first time and some like it but others basically say 'never again' Since MM+ went in we tell people it's necessary to plan extensively, MM+ seems to suit the uberplanners. not so with kids who need a nap because overtired etc.

I remember seeing a family staying at our resort they all had laminated cards with their schedules and felt so bad for them because they just looked more miserable every day. Hell if the kid wants to ride Dumbo 20 times let him it's supposed to be a vacation not a commando raid.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If I did not like Disney why do I have over 800 DVC points and founding member at 2 DVC resorts and I've been visiting the place for 30 years. That being said I DESPISE how it's being run into the ground NOW.

But by continuing to visit I'm validating TWDC's business strategy so I gave up our premier passes. The only way Disney will change is if they are hit in the wallet.

NormC

We do not heavily plan our trips and we have not had any troubles. I actually scored a BOG dinner for same day by just refreshing app. I also got into Crystal Palace and 50's that way. We made no ADRs on our last trip and still ate well. We made a couple FP reservations for two of the days but winged it the rest of our trip. MM+ has not made more planning required but it has made it easier to micromanage your vacation if you like that type of a holiday. I don't. I prefer to roll with it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
In our neighborhood we are known as Disney 'experts' DW is a schoolteacher so interacts with a lot of parents, All we have is the anecdotal reports from people recently who have visited the first time and some like it but others basically say 'never again' Since MM+ went in we tell people it's necessary to plan extensively, MM+ seems to suit the uberplanners. not so with kids who need a nap because overtired etc.

I remember seeing a family staying at our resort they all had laminated cards with their schedules and felt so bad for them because they just looked more miserable every day. Hell if the kid wants to ride Dumbo 20 times let him it's supposed to be a vacation not a commando raid.
Hmm, my DW's aunt went to Disney in the early 90's in the middle of summer. She lives in Florida, so knew it would be hot. She said that she had an absolutely awful time. Waits were all over an hour, and everything was crowded. She has never been back, so I guess Disney has sucked for over 20 years to use your criteria. :confused:

matt9112

Forbidden Journey is a very fun, unique, and technically impressive attraction, but Spider-man is a more cohesive experience with much better story-telling and pacing, and still nearly just as technically impressive.

you may be right about the story....but than again a great ride experience washes any need for story away from 9 out of 10 guests....you think i give a damn about a story when im on the hulk? no...i want to know why its not going faster. and spider man is nothing technologically ground breaking anymore. dozens of like rides...kuka arms? not so much.

SirLink

So you lie to them.

Par for the course I guess...

He isn't lying though. Go to the wayback machine before Fastpass you could indeed plan lightly and still do loads. Since Fastpass/Fastpass+/MyMagic+ you have to do more and more planning. If that is lying well I would hate to see someone speaking the truth to these folks.

Back to the real world issues....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So you lie to them.

Par for the course I guess...

If telling them if they REALLY want to ride something during a peak season they need to schedule it at 60 days or be prepared to stand in a queue for at least an hour is lying, Then sir you have a strange definition of truth, Same goes for ADR's they need to be on the phone at 180 days out if they have their heart set on something like BOG or CRT. I also tell them to buy a copy of the Unofficial Guide and a Passporter and READ them.

After that it's up to them to form their OWN opinion of Disney's products and services. I don't try to put my finger on the scale before they visit.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If telling them if they REALLY want to ride something during a peak season they need to schedule it at 60 days or be prepared to stand in a queue for at least an hour is lying, Then sir you have a strange definition of truth, Same goes for ADR's they need to be on the phone at 180 days out if they have their heart set on something like BOG or CRT. I also tell them to buy a copy of the Unofficial Guide and a Passporter and READ them.

After that it's up to them to form their OWN opinion of Disney's products and services. I don't try to put my finger on the scale before they visit.

Depends what peak season is to you I guess. There are plenty of times where I have been able to get FP for any attraction only 7 days out (except 7DMT).

French Quarter

So the answer is....you have no idea.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So the answer is....you have no idea.

Do I have a sample size of tens of thousands NO, Do have a sample size of several hundred yes I do, 5 years ago perhaps 1 in 10 was unhappy (to the not going back level) with their disney experience (hey there is ALWAYS ONE), This year its up to about 5 out of 10 is at the I'm not going back level.

Most of the unhappiness centered around bad experiences with MM+, Disney has forgotten people don't go on vacation to chat with tech support staff. Before MM+ tech support at the parks was never a 'thing' it surely is now though.

jakeman

Thanksgiving and the day after would be peak, no? Magic Kingdom everything but the usuals (Anna/Elsa, Mine Train) and parade view still available. Dining is dicey, but it's Thanksgiving dinner and there is availability at some restaurants even a week out. Lunch or the day after frees up a bunch of options.

It's been proven time and time again across multiple time points that the "need" to schedule is a myth for all but a number of experiences that can be counted on one hands.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom