DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

dstrawn9889

Excellent point, but it begs the question in my mind about the future of LMA. If the SoA are will be needed for staging/access to construction, then LMA seems like it would be cut off and have to close. Will we lose yet another attraction without something new opening? Toy Story Land can't open soon enough.
i would say that they would make a corridor(like when DCA's main street was being rehabbed) to LMA... it is a people eater, and DHS desperately needs to keep as much open as possible

BrianLo

Yeah, I'd be pretty upset if Buzz closed too, no matter how cool the new Toy Story stuff is.

If they were gonna close it, wouldn't they have closed it after Toy Story Mania first opened?

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that if they kept it in HKDL (with Toy Story land opening in the same park) and they are building a new version in SDL, Buzz won't be disappearing anytime soon.

MaxW

id love for them to close buzz and MILF, bring one or both to the coming lands (hell the similar ride style could take some heat away from toy story MM). Kick out stitch and redo all of tomorrow land, it would be amazing but highly unlikely for them to close most of the land. But i can dream can't i?

Next Big Thing

id love for them to close buzz and MILF, bring one or both to the coming lands (hell the similar ride style could take some heat away from toy story MM). Kick out stitch and redo all of tomorrow land, it would be amazing but highly unlikely for them to close most of the land. But i can dream can't i?
I'd love to kick out all of the toons from Tomorrowland and start over. Tbh, the only thing stopping them it seems is lack of vision. Although I will say that the buildings they have to work with are fairly limiting.

MaxW

I'd love to kick out all of the toons from Tomorrowland and start over. Tbh, the only thing stopping them it seems is lack of vision. Although I will say that the buildings they have to work with are fairly limiting.
Think disney would ever shut down the entire land to demolish everything (a part from space mountain) and start fresh? come up with new rides not ip driven? that way the whole land could be following a better storyline than the one we have now?

Next Big Thing

Think disney would ever shut down the entire land to demolish everything (a part from space mountain) and start fresh? come up with new rides not ip driven? that way the whole land could be following a better storyline than the one we have now?
In the old days, yes. These days? Nope. They'd never shut down an entire land at once at their highest attended park. Although I can see them shutting maybe Stitch down and opening something new there and then shutting down MILF/Buzz down and opening something new.

But there's been no rumors of new rides or updates to Tomorrowland so I don't have much hope.

dizda

I doubt that they would ever close an entire land--they need that capacity. At best, it would be piecemeal, and by the time the makeover is finished, people would probably already be talking about redoing the first part of the "new" Tomorrowland as having become outdated. That is the problem with a future-themed land: it tends to start looking outdated within a very short time. It would have to be a retro-future/steam punk (like Paris or TDS) redo to have more staying power. Even the intentional "classic sci-fi" spaceport look (if not kept pristine) can seem very dated (instead of kitschy or timeless) because it is an extension of what are now seen by many as outdated mid-Twentieth Century styles.

BrianLo

Bringing this back to DHS.....could phase four have anything to do with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Phase Four isn't so much a specific plan as it is a piece of land and general timeframe that they have earmarked for development at DHS. It could be anything, it could end up being some break out movie we've yet to see released, or even more likely not happen at all. But yes, it could also end up involving Guardians of the Galaxy. Even WDI doesn't know the answer to that yet.

ToTBellHop

Phase Four isn't so much a specific plan as it is a piece of land and general timeframe that they have earmarked for development at DHS. It could be anything, it could end up being some break out movie we've yet to see released, or even more likely not happen at all. But yes, it could also end up involving Guardians of the Galaxy. Even WDI doesn't know the answer to that yet.
They have an idea.

But yes, the phase is pretty nebulous at present. Let's focus on 3 because decisions are actually being made on that in the near term.

Chris82

When I first heard about phase 3 I was a little excited - maybe, I thought, that would actually involve beefing up the historical/Hollywood parts of DHS, the parts I love most! Removing the hat, giving some love to the Great Movie Ride, even naming the park "Hollywood Studios" all hinted that the Heydey-of-Hollywood side could see some love one day, but all this discussion makes it sound like Phase 3 is likely to be just another massive exercise in cynical IP mining.

It's a little discouraging to me. It's like the "First Law of Imagineering" should state, "All lands eventually become Fantasyland." Or maybe "All parks eventually become Universal Studios Florida."

ToTBellHop

When I first heard about phase 3 I was a little excited - maybe, I thought, that would actually involve beefing up the historical/Hollywood parts of DHS, the parts I love most! Removing the hat, giving some love to the Great Movie Ride, even naming the park "Hollywood Studios" all hinted that the Heydey-of-Hollywood side could see some love one day, but all this discussion makes it sound like Phase 3 is likely to be just another massive exercise in cynical IP mining.

It's a little discouraging to me. It's like the "First Law of Imagineering" should state, "All lands eventually become Fantasyland." Or maybe "All parks eventually become Universal Studios Florida."
Or maybe just that the Hollywood theme park will be based upon movies.

The 1930s-40s portion of the park that works will retain its theme. It's the other half of the park that has long been a garbled thematic mess with huge empty spaces that is getting replaced. We are not losing much of substance and what we are getting is 3-4 new lands of the style people have been raving about in the California and Asian parks.

P_Radden

@PhotoDave219 Any chance u could update the OP to put the new lands in line with which phase they will be? This would help clear up confusion on what is happening around the park and when.

Also it would be tremendously helpful if we had a nearmap picture with an overlay of the areas earmarked for the phases (at least what we think we know so far). I know a few members, myself included, have attempted this. Maybe someone can whip up a new one that has the new park boundaries as well as where we think the new lands (phases) will lie even though there are some areas still up in the air (SoA, Muppets).

With all this news, permits, infrastructure work and themed land phases to consider, we need to keep the OP up-to-date with all the info and even add visuals to keep it all from getting misconstrued, as this thread was originally intended.

Instead of having to reading back for dozens of pages for bits and pieces of info, put the new facts all in OP as the come out

Chris82

Or maybe just that the Hollywood theme park will be based upon movies.

The 1930s-40s portion of the park that works will retain its theme. It's the other half of the park that has long been a garbled thematic mess with huge empty spaces that is getting replaced. We are not losing much of substance and what we are getting is 3-4 new lands of the style people have been raving about in the California and Asian parks.

You're right, and I'm certainly glad we're not losing any of the awesome 30's-40's stuff still at DHS. I'm definitely happy they're not planning on replacing the Hollywood Brown Derby with "Woody's Backyard Barbecue" or some such. I guess I was still hoping to see the Hollywood aspect expand into the "huge empty spaces," as much as I enjoy it.

But I think part of the issue is that I'm in the minority that doesn't find Star Wars Land or Toy Story Land all that exciting or interesting - even though I love both movie franchises. Maybe the plans will seem less bland to me as more details get released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom