DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Capsin4

That is not what I have been talking about.

Just because the attraction purports to be an "episode" of "The Twilight Zone" doesn't mean it's a good thematic or stylistic fit with the series. It is, in fact, a very poor fit with series, both in tone and purpose. I don't know how many episodes of The "Twilight Zone" you've seen, but terror and horror for the sake of scariness was rarely, if ever the focus of the show. Rather, the stories were mostly allegorical in nature and typically made some commentary about how the flaws of society or the nature of humankind can lead to man's downfall. Ironically, the Tokyo version of the ride, while not licensed at all from the Twilight Zone property, is a much better fit than is the original version(s) of the ride.
It actually borrows some heavy ideas from the series. In "Little Lost Girl" a girl falls into a portal to another dimension in her bedroom and a Dr. draws the entrance to the portal on her wall. This turns into the 5th dimension on the ride and the portal entrance is also used. In the big picture, the thing has nothing in common with the Shining except it has ghosts and a hotel. Sure TT has ghosts, but they are secondary to the travel through the Twilight Zone and serve no purpose other than to beckon you into the TZ.

YodaMan

I have heard, though, that another character will be taking up Mickey's former Backlot residence in the near future. Nothing set in stone but it's what I was recently told.

Does Santa Goofy have a placement for this year yet? Currently the manger is in the spot where he was last year.

Homer fan

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but any chance that muppets becomes part of Old Hollywood? So, let's assume Star Wars land doesn't take up any of the land where the muppets are, can they just consider all of that land part of Hollywood? So, Hollywood, sunset and the muppets area are one land, toy story another and Star Wars another? I don't know the layout of the parks that well, so not sure if that's actually possible or not, but just throwing it out there, like maybe Hollywood can be expanded to include already existing or even new areas.

Edit: just looked at a map, that can only work with Indiana jones...but same question, any chance they keep Indy and just make it part of
Hollywood?

elchippo

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but any chance that muppets becomes part of Old Hollywood? So, let's assume Star Wars land doesn't take up any of the land where the muppets are, can they just consider all of that land part of Hollywood? So, Hollywood, sunset and the muppets area are one land, toy story another and Star Wars another? I don't know the layout of the parks that well, so not sure if that's actually possible or not, but just throwing it out there, like maybe Hollywood can be expanded to include already existing or even new areas.
I say just rename the Muppet area "Muppets Square", re-theme Pizza Planet to the Gonzo parlor, and maybe dedicate a little more theming to them-it would be a simple "re-do" that falls in line with the "Immersive IP Lands" direction things there are going in (and also not give the Muppets more real estate than is needed).

SYRIK2000

I say just rename the Muppet area "Muppets Square", re-theme Pizza Planet to the Gonzo parlor, and maybe dedicate a little more theming to them-it would be a simple "re-do" that falls in line with the "Immersive IP Lands" direction things there are going in (and also not give the Muppets more real estate than is needed).
Swedish Chef restaurant would be great.

Fox&Hound

Swedish Chef restaurant would be great.

And even if people were not crazy about the muppets, if they made it a well-themed restaurant with incredible, unique food (more than just pizza and burgers) then people would come. If people realized they could get amazing food at the new swedish chef restaurant then it would make the area much more popular.

One of the things I am most excited about with the plans for DHS is the possibility for better dining. I'd love if we got a new restaurant in Toy Story land, SW land, Muppets, and whatever goes back in the backlot area (Cars/Monster's, etc). Add a new Starbucks and at least you get better variety than what was offered before the re-do. =)

mikeh

So I am hearing the leaning for Phase 3 is more toward Monstropolis than Radiator Springs, now. Anyone else heard this? The thought is that the transition from both Star Wars and Toy Story Land into Monstropolis' cityscape at the back of the park would be more convincing.

I think I would prefer that over Radiator Springs as well!

Disneyhead'71

So I am hearing the leaning for Phase 3 is more toward Monstropolis than Radiator Springs, now. Anyone else heard this? The thought is that the transition from both Star Wars and Toy Story Land into Monstropolis' cityscape at the back of the park would be more convincing.
Last I heard, Cars Land is pretty much dead and it's between Monsteropolis and The Incredibles.

Monsters, Inc. is my lest favorite PIXAR film so I am hoping for The Incredibles.

ToTBellHop

Last I heard, Cars Land is pretty much dead and it's between Monsteropolis and The Incredibles.

Monsters, Inc. is my lest favorite PIXAR film so I am hoping for The Incredibles.
I had heard mention of The Incredibles a couple months back but I never received the impression that it was a serious contender. I do know that it will be one more Pixar and only one more.

Disneyhead'71

I had heard mention of The Incredibles a couple months back but I never received the impression that it was a serious contender. I do know that it will be one more Pixar and only one more.
I've heard phase 4 will be regular ol' Disney IP, but not Princesses. I was thinking Big Hero 6 or Wreck It Ralph. DHS is definitely going to be the "boy" park.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I've phase 4 will be regular ol' Disney IP, but not Princesses. I was thinking Big Hero 6 or Wreck It Ralph. DHS is definitely going to be the "boy" park.
Careful...I dared to suggest that they were going with "boy-friendly" IPs a couple months ago hoping to spur a discussion and got my head bitten off! Apparently we aren't allowed to suggest gender stereotypes anymore. Even though Michael Eisner described Expedition: Everest as "testosterone-driven" and Tom Staggs purportedly removed princess M&Gs to be replaced with a rollercoaster to appeal to boys.

Never mind the fact that I could point out studies in psychology that suggest "boy-friendly" properties are also "girl-friendly" while "girl-friendly" properties are largely only "girl-friendly." See the success of Harry Potter or, arguably, Adventureland, Frontierland, and Tomorrowland. And eventually (I expect), AVATAR, Toy Story, and Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom