DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

dstrawn9889

I'd love to see Laugh Floor moved to Monstropolis, and then bring the successful Stitch Encounter attraction since the theatre is already set up for a Living Character Initiative show. You can then shut down SGE and put in something while still having a Stitch presence.
when was the last time an attraction moved? Oh thats right... 1975. dont plan on attractions relocating. PIPE DREAM

wdwfan4ver

It would also be a good one. Then in Tomorrowland they could do something there and while they are at it, replace Stitch's Great Escape! But I really doubt they would move it.
It is deeper than that. I thought I read cost is one of the factors of it not being moved.

A few months ago there was a rumor concerning Rivers America and Tom Sawyer Island. I think Disney is more interested in that piece of land.

The other thing is what would Disney put in the Monsters Inc. and SGE area since Disney World originally was going to get the Tron coaster. I don't see Disney wanting Guardians of the Galaxy or Big Hero 6 at Tomorrowland instead of being an option for Phase 4 at DHS.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
It is deeper than that. I thought I read cost is one of the factors of it not being moved.

A few months ago there was a rumor concerning Rivers America and Tom Sawyer Island. I think Disney is more interested in that piece of land.

The other thing is what would Disney put in the Monsters Inc. and SGE area since Disney World originally was going to get the Tron coaster. I don't see Disney wanting Guardians of the Galaxy or Big Hero 6 at Tomorrowland instead of being an option for Phase 4 at DHS.

If you don't mind me asking...what was the rumor with Tom Sawyer Island?

Matt_Black

If it is Incredibles or Monsteropolis, I would call the 2009 D23 from a WDW standpoint a complete screw up. Toy Story Land, Incredibles or, Monsteropolis could have been announced at the 2009 D23 instead New Fantasy Land.

The problem with New Fantasy Land is on multiple levels that included later on forcing Epcot to get Frozen. Frozen was made for Fantasy Land, not Epcot based on how Disney is presenting it in Norway. The 2009 version of New Fantasy Land announced turned into a mess that Staggs try to make it better by adding in the Mine Train and Storybook Circus Land. Pixie Hallow was a mistake to begin with and the Little Mermaid ride was a bust considering it being a 10 to 15 minutes the last time I was down at MK.

Frozen wasn't even a thing when they started planning NFL! At best, I dimly recall they were in the early production stages of more traditional adaptation of The Snow Queen. They're Imagineers, not psychics.

Fox&Hound

Yes, it's easy to move MILF (haha-every time) and it would be a nice improvement for Tomorrowland since it does fit there thematically. But would Disney spend valuable real estate at DHS to move a show that many feel "ho hum" about? I like MILF (haha), it's a cute show, but unless they were hard pressed for new ideas, I'd rather see what the Imagineers could create that would be new and fresh rather than one of the three new attractions in a new land be something many people are already bored with...

SCOTLORR

Yes, it's easy to move MILF (haha-every time) and it would be a nice improvement for Tomorrowland since it does fit there thematically. But would Disney spend valuable real estate at DHS to move a show that many feel "ho hum" about? I like MILF (haha), it's a cute show, but unless they were hard pressed for new ideas, I'd rather see what the Imagineers could create that would be new and fresh rather than one of the three new attractions in a new land be something many people are already bored with...
What are we thinking for attractions for a Monstropolis if it were to be a full land? I think the long awaited Door Coaster should be a must but there are so many other things that they could dive into in the Monsters world. Very glad to see they are leaning towards this over cars!

Fox&Hound

What are we thinking for attractions for a Monstropolis if it were to be a full land? I think the long awaited Door Coaster should be a must but there are so many other things that they could dive into in the Monsters world. Very glad to see they are leaning towards this over cars!

Me too! I love Carsland (not even a huge fan of the movie) but I think Monsters would be a good choice. I think Harry Hausen's Chinese Restaurant would be a great dining location. Def the door coaster. The Monsters ride from DCA is cute but a little underwhelming. Maybe the Monster's Ride and Go Seek from Tokyo would be a fun addition- different enough from the door coaster? And of course a M&G. Maybe a MU Campus book store/shop?

doctornick

when was the last time an attraction moved? Oh thats right... 1975. dont plan on attractions relocating. PIPE DREAM

Laugh Floor is a stage show and they have moved in the parks -- the Frozen sing-a-long recently, FOTLK as well, BatB in the past. It's nothing like moving a ride and would be fairly simply if Disney wanted to do it. Heck, as I've said before, they could simply move Laugh Floor to the (empty) Premiere Theater without much problems.

That said, I think the biggest factor working against moving Laugh Floor is not the "issues" with moving an attraction, but that it would reduce capacity at MK so it would compel Disney to replace it. And I don't think Disney is prepared to put a new attraction into TL in the vacated space (though there is that rumored $350M going to the park....)

Edit: I'll also just say that in my ideal world, I'd be cool with Laugh Floor moving to DHS and then using the vacated space to build a version of the Tron coaster (there is plenty of available land behind the Laugh Floor building that could be used additional show building space).

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Frozen wasn't even a thing when they started planning NFL! At best, I dimly recall they were in the early production stages of more traditional adaptation of The Snow Queen. They're Imagineers, not psychics.
That wasn't my point of my post. My point was Fantasyland and Magic Kingdom didn't need the D23 announcement at a time that the other 3 WDW parks were in worse shape.

The other thing is I think New Fantasy Land was the wrong move way before Frozen came out. When I first heard about New Fantasy Land, I thought it was the wrong move at the wrong time.

New Fantasyland could have waited at a time that DHS, AK, and Epcot needed announcements at 2009 D23, more than Fantasy land did. When you think of issues at MK going into 2009 D23, you think of Tomorrowland at a starting point as a land that had problems and Mickey's Toon Town Fair. Fantasyland really didn't have any issues at the time. The use of the Toon Town Fair Spot was a problem rather it was Storybook Circus Land or Pixie Hallow meet and greet. I realize Dumbo was going to be move there, but the effort of the attractions wasn't there. The original New Fantasy Land also was way too heavy on Meet and Greets and not a lot on new rides originally before the Mine Train Fixed that problem.

While AK did get Avatar announced in 2011 and a night time show in 2013, Future World and DHS are problem spots that didn't get fixed much before announcements this year. I know Epcot got more eating places, and a Test Track changed since 2009, but Future World had issues at the time that wasn't addressed. Ellen's Energy Adventure in 2009 was 13 years old and the information already was outdated before 2 of the AA's gone away last year. Imagination Pavilion and Wonder's of Life building use for the general public all year round were problems going into the 2009 D23. Innoventions already had signs of being a problem spot in 2009.

DHS going into 2009 D23 was in bad shape despite Disney was banking on the openings of Toy Story Midway Mania in 2008 and American Idol Experience opening in February of 2009. The only issue DHS fixed was Star Tours needed updated at D23. The Studio Backlot Tour was already its former self by 2009 and it needed to be gone. Remember Disney could have done Monsteropolis for 2009 D23. The fact is DHS almost had the Monster Inc. Door Coaster matter of fact. DHS had shows that needed to be replaced by age also at the time although I can't blame Disney at the time. Disney also could have done a Toy Story Land back in 2009 as an announcement since Toy Story 3 was coming out in 2010.

wdwfan4ver

If you don't mind me asking...what was the rumor with Tom Sawyer Island?
The rumor was part of the possible New Frontierland expansion. That Expansion involve TSI. The information was a bit vague about the rumor outside of it being an E-ticket attraction that was supposed to be a water Ride.

doctornick

Well, as I've said in the past, I think going with a bunch of single IP lands could lead to problems in the future as it limits expansion but being so focused. Especially if a chosen IP falls out of favor -- not a big deal with a single ride, but when it's a whole land, I think there's the potential to look very dated in the future. I'd rather do a more generic Pixar Place with multiple franchises represented which would be better for expansion/replacements in the future. That said, it's the hot trend in theme parks these days (thanks, Harry Potter) so I can understand Disney's focus on it.

Regarding Monsters Inc versus Incredibles, I think the later is the more interesting IP to me and it would be cool to be the first park to have an attraction based on that franchise. But Monsters Inc is more conducive for a immersive themed land, in terms of the possibilities for food, merch and general atmosphere. There's specific places in that universe to use (MI factory, Monsters University [and Fear Tech], Harry Hausen's, Tony's Grossery. There's even a "Fine Art Gallery" shown in the first movie that would be a good location for merch.

I also think -- based on what I've seen -- that Monsters Inc sells more toys/merch overall than Incredibles [though they both would lag far far behind Toy Story and Cars] which might be a big motivating factor in any decision.

SCOTLORR

Me too! I love Carsland (not even a huge fan of the movie) but I think Monsters would be a good choice. I think Harry Hausen's Chinese Restaurant would be a great dining location. Def the door coaster. The Monsters ride from DCA is cute but a little underwhelming. Maybe the Monster's Ride and Go Seek from Tokyo would be a fun addition- different enough from the door coaster? And of course a M&G. Maybe a MU Campus book store/shop?
I think a good new dining place will definitely be needed and depending on the dining areas in TSL and SWL I think Harry Hausen's could be either quick service or full, depending on which would be needed. It would be cool if every 15 minutes or so there was a scene with AA monsters and a AA Boo that reenacted the scene where the monsters See her for the first time. As for M&G's they could probably use some of the frat houses from MU as locations for them. And I also like the idea of an interactive show where you're in a scare class taught by professor hardscrabble

doctornick

I think a good new dining place will definitely be needed and depending on the dining areas in TSL and SWL I think Harry Hausen's could be either quick service or full, depending on which would be needed. It would be cool if every 15 minutes or so there was a scene with AA monsters and a AA Boo that reenacted the scene where the monsters See her for the first time. As for M&G's they could probably use some of the frat houses from MU as locations for them. And I also like the idea of an interactive show where you're in a scare class taught by professor hardscrabble

And I think even if you set the land in the post-Monsters Inc era (where laughter has replaced scaring for energy), you could still have a ride where the antagonists from the films (Randall, Johnny, Waternoose, etc.) kidnap a child or something because they think it's the "right" way to make energy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom