DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
To give a personal example, lets take Uber. I deal with people who call it the "future" as if it is some groundbreaking technology...it isn't. What Uber uses, none if it, is new. Uber, technically, isn't ground breaking, from a technical standpoint. It relies upon established platforms.

It is socially groundbreaking, without a doubt. But, technologically? Well, it's rather old hat.

It is technology polished and presented. But, old technology.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, lets break down EPCOT (again, I've done this before)...

Spaceship Earth - It was to show us that we are all the human race, and the key to the future of a better place for all of us is communicating our needs and desires with each other, which means communication. It is a celebration of communication, which is a universal truth...if someone wants to beat you up, and you say "hey dude, I'm sorry", it sometimes works, other times, if someone threatens you and you say "F you", it also works. But, it's all communication.

Lets go right from the main gates...to the natural sciences.

The Living Seas - This pavilion showed us the bounties of the salty waters that make up most of our planet.
The Land - How we can manipulate and control our small part of the world that we RELY upon, for both our own benefit as well as our future benefit (not with stupid conservation movies like the Lion King one)...
Imagination...I'll leave this for later, for a purpose. The other two pavilions made us think about the world we CAN work with...I'll come back to Imagination.

Now, go left.

Universe of Energy - Without energy (regardless of source) modern "dreams" do not come true. Your "new" cel phone still requires a charger, which still ties into an electrical grid, which still links back to fossil fuels, in most cases. Most grids are powered by coal or oil, not nuke or solar or wind, regardless of what you may believe, the numbers prove you wrong...It's important to understand where and why our energy comes, even if we are more conservative about it and seek new sources (which are both dreams of the future still, for the most part, and it's not all cost, there are other factors...only an idiot thinks that the reason why "green" sources like hydro, wind and solar haven't been mass accepted haven't done their research, but it's important to know that they exist as well as other sources, and why)

World of Motion (NOT Test Track) - Mobility is part of human existance. It allows us to exchange and trade, it allows us to communicate (going back to the central theme of Spaceship Earth)...it also allows us personal freedom to explore and grow as individuals.

Horizons (I'll get back to this later)...it's the keystone...

(the later) Wonders of Life - This makes you think about not only taking care of yourself, but that by caring for your smaller parts (your cells, and on a greater scale your body) you are actually helping humanity as a whole.

So, we'll skip to the middle....the communicores.

These are playgrounds, where you can not only see, but play with, the cutting edge. Instead of an IBM walled off datacenter, they should have put a full on datacenter. Instead of a video game wall, they should have kept and expanded upon the idea of creating your own video games. Instead of a pavilion that teaches you how to fight fires, using presentation technology that was readily available at your local Chuck E Cheese, they should have had something more interesting. When it was Communicores instead of Innoventions, they did...but, the past 20 years, they have not.

And now we come to the final two pavilions. Imagination and Horizons.

They make for the final dance of the story. Without Imagination, there is no future, and Horizons is the celebration of what the future can be. They even have interlaced messages. Imagination says, dream! And Horizons says, if you can dream it, you can DO IT!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There's a man, running for a train—and he's carrying a pair of gloves, this man. He drops a glove on the platform, but he doesn't notice. And then later on, inside the train, he's sitting by the window and he realizes that he's just got this one glove left. But the train's already started pulling out of the station, right? So what does he do? He opens the window. And he drops the other glove onto the platform. That way, whoever finds the first glove can just have the pair.
Except that people have been wearing the gloves YOU mentioned (autonomous cars) for decades.

I suppose you think this sort of response is clever.

Tell me again how it is new? And "technology is moving too fast"?

roj2323

So tell me, since the star wars and toy story projects were originally announced in august and the first 50 or 80 pages of people's responses to the announcements were made has any additional information been added to this thread that's worth reading or is it just an additional 120 pages of people droning on back-and-forth about mindless junk it's not worth reading?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So tell me, since the star wars and toy story projects were originally announced in august and the first 50 or 80 pages of people's responses to the announcements were made has any additional information been added to this thread that's worth reading or is it just an additional 120 pages of people droning on back-and-forth about mindless junk it's not worth reading?
The latter.

twebber55

i thought @marni1971 had a great diagram of what the current project looked like in terms of what areas TSL and SWL would be, and that wasnt too long ago

Crazydisneyfanluke

i like your apparent enthusiasm, but your information comes from whence? it is just that the easily moved props in the backlot havent moved... one would think that that stuff would be hauled off before any equipment arrives
It will start before the holiday. I believe the Osborne lights have been modified this year. The globe is not in the usual location, but down the street where the Large tree goes.

dstrawn9889

but NONE of Osbourne is near TSPL... they are on opposite sides of the park
EDIT::: there is a big honkin soundstage or two between TSPL and SoA...

red is proposed TSPL? (maybe leave out the load/unload for BLT and HISTK)

Attachments

• TSPL.png
    TSPL.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 104

YodaMan

Thought i saw it in a different place. Thanks for finding that for me. (was searching for it myself)

Yeah, it's looks like they did things a but differently this year. I was confused myself. The globe had been entirely set up where the tree usually goes, but once it was 100% complete then they moved it to its usual location.

dizneycrazy09

i like your apparent enthusiasm, but your information comes from whence? it is just that the easily moved props in the backlot havent moved... one would think that that stuff would be hauled off before any equipment arrives

Unless things have changed from what I've been told, the final dance of the Osborne lights will be immediately followed by heavy construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom