DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ToTBellHop

I heard from several backlands cast yesterday that OMD and Mermaid are there through January (probably the 3rd) and then they are being bulldozed along with the rest of the building. Originally the plan was to close OMD at the end of August/beginning of September but that got scrapped so the park didn't loose another attraction and so the Full time/part time cast could transfer to other positions. The secondary reason is apparently construction isn't starting (at least with currently on stage buildings) until January so there was no real need to clear the building.

Once construction does start I was told there would be a significant increase in Meet and greets throughout the park to help fill the void.
Sounds about right. The majority of the work for the remainder of 2015 will be behind the scenes (behind Midway Mania).

Next Big Thing

Marvel is NOT leaving Uni. Can we please end this discussion right now. It has been brought up and debunked over and over again and at this point if you don't know all the facts in the matter, know this, Marvel (Specifically Avengers Universe) will never see ANY attractions in WDW.
This is well known.

Guardians of the Galaxy however, are very viable to be used.

Eoghann

So we know UNI is apparently upgrading the Incredible Hulk coaster, BUT....is there any possibility that the reason a Phase 3 SOA/LMA replacement has not been announced is because they are making an attempt to get out of the Marvel theme park agreement, and at this point its too up in the air? Because I would think Marvel would be their first choice for SOA, to save on SOME construction. Maybe LMA could be an Avengers show? I suppose I'm just arm chairing now...but just trying to come up with realistic re-theming possibilities. If they're really going to bulldoze everything they're supposedly closing, they'd be rebuilding 75% of the park which just seems unrealistic.

No.
Nope.
Not happening.
Nah.
No, no, no, no, no.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Question about Entertainment for DHS. Would there be a new parade for DHS when this is complete? The former parade route and building is betaken over by SWL. (am wondering)

doctornick

I've heard Muppetvision 3D is leaving. Not that The Muppets are leaving.

I'd be cool with that. I'd really like to see the Muppets continue to have a presence in the parks but I can see the argument for replacing Muppetvision. I enjoy it -- certain parts are fantastic like the Sam the Eagle bit -- but it doesn't have a "classic" feel that it should be preserved for all time beyond the "last project by Henson" aspect. So something new would be cool.

Of course, where becomes an interesting question. Might very well me a completely different part of the park.

doctornick

Could Disney have been hinting at the theme of phase 3 in their statement about the Osborne Lights going away? Maybe it will be themed to the Incredibles.
"In order to prepare for some incredible experiences coming to the park, including the recently announced Toy Story Land and a Star Wars-themed land, we will not be able to present The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights in the future."

I doubt there was any meaning behind the release wording, but I do think The Incredibles is a dark horse candidate for a significant addition to the park, especially with the new movie slated. There was at one point an attraction planned for them, so they could dust that off.

ctrlaltdel

I doubt there was any meaning behind the release wording, but I do think The Incredibles is a dark horse candidate for a significant addition to the park, especially with the new movie slated. There was at one point an attraction planned for them, so they could dust that off.
Probably doesn't mean anything but Brad Bird (Incredibles director) said this week that Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 have switched places on the release calendar. No release date set for either but 2019/2020 is a good bet for both. Obviously that's the time frame where phase 3 will open. Btw are we talking about 2019 or 2020 for Phase 3 right now? Obviously this stuff changes but now that it is on the fast track I've seen a few different dates...

ToTBellHop

Probably doesn't mean anything but Brad Bird (Incredibles director) said this week that Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 have switched places on the release calendar. No release date set for either but 2019/2020 is a good bet for both. Obviously that's the time frame where phase 3 will open. Btw are we talking about 2019 or 2020 for Phase 3 right now? Obviously this stuff changes but now that it is on the fast track I've seen a few different dates...
'20.

spaceghost

I feel people are forgetting that Muppets 3d is actually bang average, outdated and actually not worth the space for any reason other than nostalgia.

3 first time visitors this year...1 fell asleep and the other 2 weren't impressed.

How can we as a fan a base complain about dated attractions if we reject a replacement for one of the most dated attractions on property.

I'm a few days behind here, but it's not our fault that your friends are soulless.

And before everyone gets mad at me, I'm just kidding...

(mostly)

Goofyernmost

No doubt. At least half of epcot has an identity and is still a marvel (World Showcase). DHS... Its a disaster with a handful of spectacular rides- but a disaster nonetheless.
Although DHS in its current form vs future world? Give me the current DHS. Thats how bad future world is.
I guess that has to be one persons opinion. I have been going to Epcot since it was 3 months old and I enjoy every part of Future World. I like all the shows and all the rides with the exception of the travesty that is the Imagination Pavilion, but, that's just one place. WoL was enjoyable, but, I never went to it very often so I do not really miss it all that much, however, I don't like the empty building concept in a theme park. It makes it look broken. Everything else is just fine, fun and entertaining to me. Apparently, not to you, but, again that is one persons opinion not the majority.

andysol

I guess that has to be one persons opinion. I have been going to Epcot since it was 3 months old and I enjoy every part of Future World. I like all the shows and all the rides with the exception of the travesty that is the Imagination Pavilion, but, that's just one place. WoL was enjoyable, but, I never went to it very often so I do not really miss it all that much, however, I don't like the empty building concept in a theme park. It makes it look broken. Everything else is just fine, fun and entertaining to me. Apparently, not to you, but, again that is one persons opinion not the majority.

I'm glad you enjoy it @Goofyernmost - I wish I did as much as you. I like Soarin, I like test track- but what I mean by a disaster is that future world has no identity anymore. It used to have a distinct identity- and an incredible one at that- but it has simply lost its identity and is just a mish-mash of "stuff".

I'm sure when you went when it was 3 months it was jaw dropping and had continuity. But I'm sorry- the seas pavilion offers zero educational value when it used to. As does the horizon/space pavilion. As does the energy pavilion. You already mentioned the wonders of life pavilion being closed. I believe the biggest travesty is the two innoventions pavilions in the middle of the park (what's left of them).
So you're literally left with motion and the land and a memory of what imagination used to be- as you mentioned. That's 2.5 out of 9 that do what they were intended to do.

So while I do enjoy aspects of Future World- just as I enjoy aspects of Hollywood studios- they are both in desperate need of continuity and a theme- which is what two of the most visited theme parks should have. Just one mans opinion :)

djkidkaz

Interesting. Another site posted a photo from this morning showing that the tarps that were up between One Mans Dream and Jack Sparrow are in the process of being removed. It's a small thing, but could be an indicator that they are starting to get ready for upcoming demo work.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Interesting. Another site posted a photo from this morning showing that the tarps that were up between One Mans Dream and Jack Sparrow are in the process of being removed. It's a small thing, but could be an indicator that they are starting to get ready for upcoming demo work.
I'm going to make an assumption based on nothing haha. Maybe it means that demolition of those attractions will be pushed back to as late as possible so as to keep more attractions open?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom