DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Mike S

There was a quote from a recent interview with a Universal Executive that made if very clear that Marvel isn't leaving Universal.
The Disney-owned Marvel movie brand was conspicuously absent from plans to rehabilitate Hollywood Studios. Although Disney bought Marvel in 2009 for $4 billion, the Florida theme park rights to Marvel characters like Spider-Man, the Hulk and Captain America continue to be held by Universal under a long-term contract.

Asked in an interview in July if Universal would ever sell those rights, Thomas L. Williams, Universal’s theme park chairman, answered with one word: “No.”
http://nytimes.com/2015/08/16/busin...lans-for-star-wars-attractions.html?referrer=

Everyone should have this bookmarked.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, a certain other website is claiming that Star Wars Weekends have seen their final appearance, and Disney characters will no longer appear dressed in Star Wars costumes. Can anyone verify these claims? Thanks!

I have heard the part about the characters, don't remember where, and that is not really surprising. As for the end of Star Wars weekends, that would surprise me. It's one of the things that would help in keeping up DHS's attendance during the construction, unless the construction is going to be so bad that it makes impractical to do.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So has there been any rumor to what will happen to Disney Junior? Is it gonna survive? I haven't seen any layover but will the entire animation area (VOTLM, etc) be demolished?

We really don't know. I'm pretty sure Disney Junior's going to stay. Muppets is really 50/50 (but it's outlook is not good at all) .... And those are the two attractions that are in the middle of construction areas. Everything else should be fine.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I have heard the part about the characters, don't remember where, and that is not really surprising. As for the end of Star Wars weekends, that would surprise me. It's one of the things that would help in keeping up DHS's attendance during the construction, unless the construction is going to be so bad that it makes impractical to do.

I could imagine it takes a hiatus until the park is further along in construction. I can't imagine it being gone forever.

YodaMan

The first part has been rumored since these past Star Wars Weekends. I doubt the second part is true, but could effectively be true if Studios decides to have Launch Bay and characters and shopping and fireworks run year-round.

flyerjab

It will be an outstanding theme park by 2020 with tons of fresh attractions.
  1. Great Movie Ride
  2. RnRC
  3. Tower of Terror
  4. Fantasmic and new daytime show down there
  5. New show replacing BatB
  6. Disney Junior
  7. Replacement for Star Wars Launch Bay
  8. New show replacing Mermaid
  9. Expanded Midway Mania
  10. Slink Dog
  11. Alien version of Mater
  12. Luigi's from DCA likely
  13. E ticket Cars darkride likely
  14. Star Wars E Ticket 1
  15. Star Wars E Ticket 2
  16. Star Tours
  17. I presume Frozen stays and
  18. Jedi Training Academy moves to Sounds Dangerous
  19. new dining galore
  20. new shops galore
  21. new streetmosphere in a park that already has strong streetmosphere
  22. Shows at Center Stage

And possibly more in the early 2020s.

An excellent theme park.

When you list it out like that, and hint at possibly more to come in the early 2020s, would this park ultimately be able to exceed EPCOT in annual attendance?

ToTBellHop

When you list it out like that, and hint at possibly more to come in the early 2020s, would this park ultimately be able to exceed EPCOT in annual attendance?
If they don't add anything compelling to Epcot, yes. Where would you rather be in 2021?

Granted, there are compelling projects in the pipe for Epcot. Not to DHS's level, of course. But, DHS is a disaster right now while Epcot is merely a mess.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The way i read it Season of the Force will replace SWW, as for the characters prob something in the Launch bay etc and once the actual land is finished more then.

ctrlaltdel

I think it will, especially when SWL opens. Along with TSL and Phase 3 it should be a hell of a park.
It will be an outstanding theme park by 2020 with tons of fresh attractions.
  1. Great Movie Ride
  2. RnRC
  3. Tower of Terror
  4. Fantasmic and new daytime show down there
  5. New show replacing BatB
  6. Disney Junior
  7. Replacement for Star Wars Launch Bay
  8. New show replacing Mermaid
  9. Expanded Midway Mania
  10. Slink Dog
  11. Alien version of Mater
  12. Luigi's from DCA likely
  13. E ticket Cars darkride likely
  14. Star Wars E Ticket 1
  15. Star Wars E Ticket 2
  16. Star Tours
  17. I presume Frozen stays and
  18. Jedi Training Academy moves to Sounds Dangerous
  19. new dining galore
  20. new shops galore
  21. new streetmosphere in a park that already has strong streetmosphere
  22. Shows at Center Stage

And possibly more in the early 2020s.

An excellent theme park.
So, has it been confirmed that the 2 SWL rides are E-tickets? That was my initial thought, but I haven't heard the insiders say anything (I also realize E-ticket is a pretty subjective definition).

flyerjab

If they don't add anything compelling to Epcot, yes. Where would you rather be in 2021?

Granted, there are compelling projects in the pipe for Epcot. Not to DHS's level, of course. But, DHS is a disaster right now while Epcot is merely a mess.

Oh, definitely DHS over EPCOT (if no more significant changes are made). That was why I asked the question. It just seems like the big question of how to transform this park has been answered. If they really come through with this transformation and truly realize it the way that Disney can, this park could command a solid hold on the 2nd most visited Disney park in Orlando. I am really going to be interested to see how attendance goes up at this park.

One big question - Frozen. are the processional (or whatever it is called), fireworks and sing-a-long going to be permanent fixtures in this park. Or would it be safe to assume that they are only here to help carry this park through the next several years. I would hope that this park will receive a new day parade at the least. The Frozen thing that they currently offer should only last for so long.

roj2323

I heard from several backlands cast yesterday that OMD and Mermaid are there through January (probably the 3rd) and then they are being bulldozed along with the rest of the building. Originally the plan was to close OMD at the end of August/beginning of September but that got scrapped so the park didn't loose another attraction and so the Full time/part time cast could transfer to other positions. The secondary reason is apparently construction isn't starting (at least with currently on stage buildings) until January so there was no real need to clear the building.

Once construction does start I was told there would be a significant increase in Meet and greets throughout the park to help fill the void.

roj2323

We really don't know. I'm pretty sure Disney Junior's going to stay. Muppets is really 50/50 (but it's outlook is not good at all) .... And those are the two attractions that are in the middle of construction areas. Everything else should be fine.

Disney Junior just had some decent money thrown at it for reconfiguring the entry and to add a few meet and greets. I honestly don't think it's going anywhere until at least after Toy story land is open.

YodaMan

I heard from several backlands cast yesterday that OMD and Mermaid are there through January (probably the 3rd) and then they are being bulldozed along with the rest of the building. Originally the plan was to close OMD at the end of August/beginning of September but that got scrapped so the park didn't loose another attraction and so the Full time/part time cast could transfer to other positions. The secondary reason is apparently construction isn't starting (at least with currently on stage buildings) until January so there was no real need to clear the building.

Once construction does start I was told there would be a significant increase in Meet and greets throughout the park to help fill the void.

Sounds like something I could believe. A few days back, the operating hours for every attraction at Studios was updated through January 2. Usually things are only done on a month-by-month basis (aka up to December 31), so it seems like everything in the park in slated to stay through the end of the holiday season, and then after that nothing is safe and decisions will be made. Seems like a pretty good "placeholder" date.

ajbidwell

I've seen rumors on another site that JTA would be going down from 10/4-12/1 to switch over to the updated show. Anyone know if there is any truth to these dates?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom