DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disneyland isn't supposed to start construction until 2017.

Plenty of time for Iger to back out of it if The Force Awakens is received poorly.

While money has been allocated, they will yank this thing faster than you can say "Tron 3" if Star Wars under-delivers. And trust me, that's a huge reason (if not the primary reason) as to why the start date is so far off.

This is just sad, A well executed SWL would be a license to print money, SW is a cultural phenomenon which spans multiple generations, Just build the bloody thing already theme it to the 'classic' SW and you will need to beat the customers off with a stick.

Now I realize to some this is counterintuitive because It's my opinion SWL in WDW is never gonna see the light of day because of Disney's legendary cheapness.

I WANT a well executed SW I want to spend time and money there. But I suspect I'll be in the UK enjoying the new Star Trek/Dr Who park long before WDW builds anything beyond the 'Launch Bay' which is upsetting on many levels.

BrianLo

Disneyland isn't supposed to start construction until 2017.

This has been circulated quite a lot, but I'm not sure if it only originates from the Anaheim tax-proposal (which required the investment to start before the end of 2017, but nothing stopping it from taking off earlier). Indeed, I'm sure Disney would have created some lee-way by design with their proposal.

The upcoming closures and at one time rumoured 2019 opening would certainly lend further credence towards construction in 2016.

The other indication would be Disney dumping A LOT of money into Shanghai. It would seem in their best interest, from a quarterly perspective, to keep the status quo by quickly switching between projects rather than to suddenly drop expenditure for a few quarters and then massively pick it up again. Other than padding P&R success post-Shanghai by virtue of spending less money, as @ParentsOf4 has previously suggested.

Either way, by next Spring they will have a lot of capital that needs reallocation - an optimal time to finish land clearing Big Thunder Ranch/backstage and really start 'building'.

All that said, I wonder about the parking garage. I do not understand the possible reasons for waiting other than a new fiscal year... that should have started the second the budget was approved.

rioriz

Yes, the backyard is correct. This coaster sim was done by a fan based on the artwork. It was mentioned at D23 the land would have the level of theming on par with Carsland. The only problem with that is so does Chester and Hesters.

Haha if you ever been to Carsland you would never have wasted seconds on that last sentence...

Ignohippo

No, they arent building a new Star Tours. What they are doing is adding Ep7 planets/characters in as a destination is how I understand it.

Two new sequences if I understand correctly. They stated it would be added by the end of the year (although with TFA not opening until Dec. 18, I'm not sure how that could be without major spoilers).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Two new sequences if I understand correctly. They stated it would be added by the end of the year (although with TFA not opening until Dec. 18, I'm not sure how that could be without major spoilers).
I thought the end result would yield thousands of variations?? @lentesta mentioned it on one of his podcasts

Ignohippo

This is just sad, A well executed SWL would be a license to print money, SW is a cultural phenomenon which spans multiple generations, Just build the bloody thing already theme it to the 'classic' SW and you will need to beat the customers off with a stick.

Now I realize to some this is counterintuitive because It's my opinion SWL in WDW is never gonna see the light of day because of Disney's legendary cheapness.

I WANT a well executed SW I want to spend time and money there. But I suspect I'll be in the UK enjoying the new Star Trek/Dr Who park long before WDW builds anything beyond the 'Launch Bay' which is upsetting on many levels.

So well said. I could not agree with you more and I was somewhat shocked that the initial reaction was so positive.

I think people were initially excited that news of a SW land was finally getting announced. Now I think people are more reserving judgement because everything about it is so new.

But is this anything like what you envisioned a SW land would be when the announcement was made for Disney to buy Lucasfilm?

zooey

So well said. I could not agree with you more and I was somewhat shocked that the initial reaction was so positive.

I think people were initially excited that news of a SW land was finally getting announced. Now I think people are more reserving judgement because everything about it is so new.

But is this anything like what you envisioned a SW land would be when the announcement was made for Disney to buy Lucasfilm?
I think it's brilliant to create a new planet to tell your own Star Wars story... Is that the issue you have with it? That it's not an established place seen in the films? Back in the first year of its existence I played Star Wars galaxies, the mmo. And this new land reminded me of that. Stepping into a new place where the stories are wide open, where you feel like you're exploring an exotic place you've never been in the galaxy. I think that idea is perfect for a theme park and Star Wars. You don't have the baggage of stepping into a familiar place with all these expectations. You've gone someplace totally new but all around you are the stories and sights you know, rebel vs empire, smugglers, spacers, cantina patrons. I don't know, I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life and I think this is very exciting.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Ha! Maybe, but do you think they'd close the ride for two weeks at the beginning of December?

Somehow, I don't see that happening. Most likely, they'll wait until the second week of January and try to get an attendance boost at a dead time.

I dont know enough about how ST is run and whether its off of one giant server or is individually controlled in each simulator. I would think that its much easier to update than in the past,

tirian

My anecdotal experience is that coworkers, friends, and family were excited until they saw the concept art. Then everyone (about 14 people) asked why it looked so much like a forest instead of a space port. One person said, "Yuck, they expanded the forest of Endor."

Has anyone else had similar reactions?

zooey

Yes, the backyard is correct. This coaster sim was done by a fan based on the artwork. It was mentioned at D23 the land would have the level of theming on par with Carsland. The only problem with that is so does Chester and Hesters.
No idea how they could claim the theming will be as good as Carsland as the well does not seem to be as rich... Comparing Andys backyard vs full recreation of an entire town and mountain range just doesn't seem right. The Carsland characters at least move around and give a little life to the area. A Gigantic buzz lightyear standing monolithicly silent and stationary isn't the same level at all.

Ignohippo

I dont know enough about how ST is run and whether its off of one giant server or is individually controlled in each simulator. I would think that its much easier to update than in the past,

It's the Mouse. Do they ever move quickly?

I was told two years ago that they had two additional prequel scenes that had been created when ST was updated and all they had to do was flip a switch. This tech is made for it. Yet, it hasn't happened until now.

I only hope they add the two prequel scenes along with TFA ones.

Btw, as I understand it, each simulator works independently. But it's no more than uploading the info and then you're done though (of course, then there's testing as well). Someone who knows a lot more than I do can correct me if that's incorrect however.

But, if you've ever upgraded your system software, you know the kinds of things that can go wrong that can take agonizing weeks to correct.

Ignohippo

No idea how they could claim the theming will be as good as Carsland as the well does not seem to be as rich... Comparing Andys backyard vs full recreation of an entire town and mountain range just doesn't seem right. The Carsland characters at least move around and give a little life to the area. A Gigantic buzz lightyear standing monolithicly silent and stationary isn't the same level at all.

More PR speak. Probably a way for them to justify spending $500 million on an area that any other theme park could build for a fraction of the cost.

Once again, all style, no substance.

rioriz

Honestly, yes. ...I for one am not a huge Start Wars fan. I have no qualms about a new planet. I care more for the surrounding environment and theme. From the"insiders" speaking up thus far I have confidence the two rides will be up to par. I will only be disappointed if one of them is Star Tours (if both coasts are getting same attractions im on the side they will be all new)

I don't mind losing Echo Lake at all...my emotional connection to this park lies with the remaining attractions(ToT, GMR and such). Loved 50's but been there once, and shoot me but I walk through Echo Lake and sometimes never stop to notice the dinosaur.

I'm not upset at all about the alleged value engineering of buildings I have no emotional connection to. Much like Epcot I have had to accept this will be a new park in 20 years (after many changes) and as long as they don't take ToT from me, I welcome as many changes as possible. It's mostly all stale and beyond a few attractions hardly any have re-rideability.

Sorry for unusually long post

Ignohippo

Honestly, yes. ...I for one am not a huge Start Wars fan. I have no qualms about a new planet. I care more for the surrounding environment and theme. From the"insiders" speaking up thus far I have confidence the two rides will be up to par. I will only be disappointed if one of them is Star Tours (if both coasts are getting same attractions im on the side they will be all new)

I don't mind losing Echo Lake at all...my emotional connection to this park lies with the remaining attractions(ToT, GMR and such). Loved 50's but been there once, and shoot me but I walk through Echo Lake and sometimes never stop to notice the dinosaur.

I'm not upset at all about the alleged value engineering of buildings I have no emotional connection to. Much like Epcot I have had to accept this will be a new park in 20 years (after many changes) and as long as they don't take ToT from me, I welcome as many changes as possible. It's mostly all stale and beyond a few attractions hardly any have re-rideability.

Sorry for unusually long post

Agreed. I only care about the value-engineering because it seems as through this amazing one-of-a-kind IP is getting shoe-horned into an area rather than getting the design and attractions it truly deserves.

But, when you think about it, this is exactly what Uni did with Hogsmeade, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

One destination just isn't enough when you're talking about Star Wars however (no matter what, or how incredible, that environment is).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom