DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

And as much as people were mentioning that DHS was too "show heavy." When we're done we've got

1. Whatever is where BatB is
2. Disney Jr.
3. Jedi Academy
4. Muppets, if it stays
5. LMA, if it stays

#2 & #3 on that list are for a pretty limited audience, and we don't know the future of #4 (maybe) & #5 (probably dead). Consider, in the Studios heyday how many bodies the Indy theater, Premiere Theater, Mermaid Theater, Sound Show Theater, Superstar Television theater, plus the theaters inside Animation and the Backstage Pass, Backlot Tour areas held.

There's a rumor of a daytime show going into the Fantasmic! theater. Also, it's not clear that the Mermaid theater is going away -- even if that show is removed, it can be replaced. From my guesstimation, they should only need to remove One Man's Dream/Jack Sparrow to provide plenty of room for the entrance pathway to Toy Story Land.

Also, it's conceivable that a new show goes into the Premiere Theater as part of this expansion. They are going to put something in the LMA/Canyon/SoA area and it wouldn't be a shock to see a show among the offerings.

mm52200

There's a rumor of a daytime show going into the Fantasmic! theater. Also, it's not clear that the Mermaid theater is going away -- even if that show is removed, it can be replaced. From my guesstimation, they should only need to remove One Man's Dream/Jack Sparrow to provide plenty of room for the entrance pathway to Toy Story Land.

Also, it's conceivable that a new show goes into the Premiere Theater as part of this expansion. They are going to put something in the LMA/Canyon/SoA area and it wouldn't be a shock to see a show among the offerings.
Aren't there rumors that Mermaid is closing at the end of the fiscal year, September? Also I have a hard time seeing how they'd keep Mermaid theatre but not the other attractions like OMD or the Jack Sparrow space since that's one giant building/complex that's all pretty interconnected. Isn't the Premiere Theater going away though? That's why they're building the new special event space behind ToT and RnR so they can get rid of it I thought.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Aren't there rumors that Mermaid is closing at the end of the fiscal year, September? Also I have a hard time seeing how they'd keep Mermaid theatre but not the other attractions like OMD or the Jack Sparrow space since that's one giant building/complex that's all pretty interconnected. Isn't the Premiere Theater going away though? That's why they're building the new special event space behind ToT and RnR so they can get rid of it I thought.

Yes VotLM is rumored to close. Also has a permit for Fastpass Sign work happening.

Ignohippo

I think we all have to look at the overall. Yes, things are going away - but they have to.

In order for this park to survive and eventually grow, there's things we have to accept that are going to go away. Personally, I love 50's Prime Time. Fantastic restaurant. Great theme. But it very well may go.... and we'll get something even better in its place. I'll also hate losing the Roger Rabbit references but again, thats just me being selfish. I enjoyed One Man's Dream but as for a temporary attraction for 100 Years of Magic Celebration, It did very very well, although the film changed over the years.

Whats good for the overall and keeps guests coming in is whats important. No longer will anyone be saying "There's nothing to do at the Studios."

This park is on life support and they just announced some major organ transplants. Life will be radically different.

But, with the expansions that have been announced, are we really gaining that much? Does it really put the park on the level of the other 3?

• We gain 2 attractions for SW, but lose Indy and the ABS Theater (which will be Jedi Academy). G-d forbid one of the new attractions is really a re-purposed Star Tours.
• TSMM includes one coaster and a spinner, but we lose OMD, the possible attraction space of the old Narnia building, and VotLM

Even if CarsLand comes, It will most likely be RSR and maybe one more small ride, but we're losing LMA (which absolutely eats people). IF it's a mini-CarsLand, then it won't do enough to create capacity.

The thing that boggles my mind is the size of TS Playland, but the lack of attractions. Fill the damn thing with cheap family rides and let people enjoy some time with their kids. Not everything has to cost $100 million to add an amazing experience.

My concern is that they're adding things that will hugely increase demand, but aren't creating enough supply.

I'm very afraid both expansions are New Fantasyland all over again – tons of style with very little substance.

Ignohippo

I just don't understand why they have to replace the Echo Lake area and all of those structures? Truly expand the park and it's footprint. Don't just repurpose existing structures. You're building cool things that are going to attract so many more people to the park but they aren't actually expanding capacity in terms of guest areas, restaurants, etc if the rumored plans we're seeing actually happen. Attraction count is remaining the same pretty much, we've lost a lot more than we're gaining. SURE some of those attractions were dated or could stand an update, so you do that. You update them, you don't just bulldoze them for a walkway(One Man's Dream, Voyage of the Little Mermaid). Hopefully there are more plans that they haven't announced yet, or that Star Wars Land won't just retheme existing structures and bulldoze more theatres. Otherwise I'll be pretty upset.

$$$$$$$$$

I agree completely but you're talking about the savings of hundreds of millions of dollars if they can value engineer the land with existing facilities – facilities that they've perfected and have down to a science.

I don't like it, but it could be the difference between getting just SW or getting CarsLand along with it.

mm52200

$$$$$$$$$

I agree completely but you're talking about the savings of hundreds of millions of dollars if they can value engineer the land with existing facilities – facilities that they've perfected and have down to a science.

I don't like it, but it could be the difference between getting just SW or getting CarsLand along with it.
See I'd be fine with just SW if it wasn't just a repurposing of existing facilities. If it was going to be a true expansion and actually add things to the park then it'd be fine to have just it for now and not a scaled down version of Carsland which is the only version we're going to get. So I'd rather have one amazing land added to the park than two value engineered lands that just repurpose existing areas and facilities, call me crazy I know.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
But, with the expansions that have been announced, are we really gaining that much? Does it really put the park on the level of the other 3?

• We gain 2 attractions for SW, but lose Indy and the ABS Theater (which will be Jedi Academy). G-d forbid one of the new attractions is really a re-purposed Star Tours.
• TSMM includes one coaster and a spinner, but we lose OMD, the possible attraction space of the old Narnia building, and VotLM

Even if CarsLand comes, It will most likely be RSR and maybe one more small ride, but we're losing LMA (which absolutely eats people). IF it's a mini-CarsLand, then it won't do enough to create capacity.

The thing that boggles my mind is the size of TS Playland, but the lack of attractions. Fill the damn thing with cheap family rides and let people enjoy some time with their kids. Not everything has to cost $100 million to add an amazing experience.

My concern is that they're adding things that will hugely increase demand, but aren't creating enough supply.

I'm very afraid both expansions are New Fantasyland all over again – tons of style with very little substance.

I think there's still more to reveal. I think they didn't mention much with TSL - look at the concept art, doesnt match with what they said.

I still think there's more to come for SWL and I really dont think its going to be Value engineered as much as you fear.

(This is where someone throws up a video of .... wait. We have that Video?!?!)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Somewhat surprising that SWL is to take over Echo Lake area. Will make for a hard transition coming from Hollywood Blvd. Would make more sense to make it an Indy area as that is 1930's(same as Hollywood Blvd) as well as it being Lucas. Pretty much what they have now I know, just plus the area. Maybe things would be different if they had plans for the Indy IP.

Its speculation. Rather informed speculation mind you and is pretty darn plausible.

I make the same question of how you get from HollywoodLand (The name for the original hollywood before it was shortened) to a galaxy far, far away.

mm52200

Its speculation. Rather informed speculation mind you and is pretty darn plausible.

I make the same question of how you get from HollywoodLand (The name for the original hollywood before it was shortened) to a galaxy far, far away.
THIS. Especially because if they're converting Hollywood and Vine, it's literally connected to Hollywood Boulevard. That building connects with the shops and the windows of Hollywood and Vine almost go all the way to the street. It'd be impossible to have any kind of transition whatsoever.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
THIS. Especially because if they're converting Hollywood and Vine, it's literally connected to Hollywood Boulevard. That building connects with the shops and the windows of Hollywood and Vine almost go all the way to the street. It'd be impossible to have any kind of transition whatsoever.

Meh, its five years away. I'll worry about it then.

this thread may actually be on the front page for 5 years...(front page is an old newspaper term)o_O

One hopes newspapers live that long....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe there is more that is coming, but which is either being held back because it isn't "ready" or because they are wanting to just save a few announcements for later.

The budget is legit.

D23 was throwing the fans a bone.
This.

Though I'll be disappointed if they don't push the land far enough back to retain Echo Lake and Prime Time / Dine. If they're using cast parking a bit they may as well use it all and give a smoother transition from Hollywood to SW.

(Being careful what I say)

Captain Neo

Welp, I'm glad you Star Wars fan boys and Avatar nerds got what you wanted. Or MAY get what you want (accountants waving cleavers approach - beware!)

But for someone who liked two of the original SW movies and was bored by the third. and was SO bored by the first "prequel" that he avoided the remaining two, this D23 announce-fest was a definite meh.

So...the Art of Animation, an building dedicated to the art that BUILT the Disney company, goes bye-bye.

So does One Man's Dream, a tribute to the guy that made ALL of the Disney parks, and Iger's big fat golden parachute, possible.

And Frozen, an original Disney adaptation that was a world-wide phenomenon, gets shoehorned into a tiny ride at Epcot. And Toy Story gets a piddly mini-land for the Romper Room crowd.

But Avatar and Star Wars? They get fully-realized LANDS, because they're two off-studio IPs that have NOTHING to do with Disney that Robert Iger *purchased*. Because the dollar, not creativity, is what Iger understands.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, you guys. Look what happened to New Fantasyland. Cut, cut, cut until the new offerings became underwhelming and one Disney film had to be content with a freaking BATHROOM.

The decline of Disney continues. Sad to see.

Pixar is an off-studio brand as well

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think we all have to look at the overall. Yes, things are going away - but they have to.

In order for this park to survive and eventually grow, there's things we have to accept that are going to go away. Personally, I love 50's Prime Time. Fantastic restaurant. Great theme. But it very well may go.... and we'll get something even better in its place. I'll also hate losing the Roger Rabbit references but again, thats just me being selfish. I enjoyed One Man's Dream but as for a temporary attraction for 100 Years of Magic Celebration, It did very very well, although the film changed over the years.

Whats good for the overall and keeps guests coming in is whats important. No longer will anyone be saying "There's nothing to do at the Studios."

This park is on life support and they just announced some major organ transplants. Life will be radically different.

Here's the deal for those of us who have been visiting since the 80's, Disney has not replaced things with BETTER replacements the replacements for the last 15 years or so have been downgrades. JII and recently the Poly have been glaring examples. It's up to Disney to 'Show Me' that they will do it up to the standard they set for themselves. Or will they simply do as little as possible (Frostrom anyone?) as they have been. Personally I'm expecting the 'cheap-n-nasty' version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom