DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While the announcement for Star Wars Land and Pixar Land and maybe something else all sounds neat, it does leave me wondering:

What is DHS supposd to be?

Think about DL/MK. They're fairly clear with their lands and how it's all laid out and all that. Both are very popular well-rounded parks. You can make some arguments with regards to Tomorrowland and tooning it up, but, overall, they're fairly well rounded.

With Epcot it's clear that there's a look to the future and a look to the past (along with the multi-cultural aspect). Again, you can make arguments that Epcot ought to have more countries and Future World ought to be updated. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying that there's a fairly clear theme happening.

Animal Kingdom is animals and foliage from different continent. You know you're getting animals. That's the theme. It's well done.

Hollywood Studios. At one time this place had a working theme. Now it's called "studios" even though it is not a working studio. There are sound stages where they've put some rides and shops in. The old Hollywood is there and, with the removal of the hat, looking better than ever.

Here's my problem: I kind of wonder if they're just doing some quick fixes to DHS with, "Let's put in a Pixar Land! Let's put in a Star Wars Land!" Ok. Then what. Why do those lands belong there? What brings it altogether? Is it going to be "Disney Properties Theme Park"?

I'm just thinking that while we're all excited about them finally doing something with DHS, I don't know if just tossing a bunch of stuff at it really fixes it. It'll be interesting. I'm looking forward to the new areas and rides.

Are we going to be left with DHS becoming "Other". It has some lands in it. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just some stuff that they stuck there.

They said in the presentation that they are moving away from the working studios theme and instead are doing themed lands that let you become part of the movies. I have a feeling that we are eventually going to hear more annoucements and more of the park will be re-done to fit this theme. I think the trickiest part of this is going be Sunset Bvld since it has a bunch of attractions that I don't see going away and might be tricky to re-theme.

ToTBellHop

I wouldn't… It could stay and they just build around it.
I am trying to imagine how a 13-story water tower would look right in front of my face as I crest the hill after Slinky's launch. Not terribly appealing. It seems the army men parachute drop prop is in a similar location. But, time will tell and concept art can deceive. Enjoy your margarita.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I am trying to imagine how a 13-story water tower would look right in front of my face as I crest the hill after Slinky's launch. Not terribly appealing. It seems the army men parachute drop prop is in a similar location. But, time will tell and concept art can deceive. Enjoy your margarita.

Just saying there's a very slim possibility it stays....

G00fyDad

I am still sticking to the Disney's Hollywoodland idea that I had for the name. Of course what do I know? I was dead sure the second DS garage was going to be Apple. LOL

gmajew

Premium Member
They said in the presentation that they are moving away from the working studios theme and instead are doing themed lands that let you become part of the movies. I have a feeling that we are eventually going to hear more annoucements and more of the park will be re-done to fit this theme. I think the trickiest part of this is going be Sunset Bvld since it has a bunch of attractions that I don't see going away and might be tricky to re-theme.

I agree changing sunset blvd would be very very hard as tower of terror is one of the best themed rides in the park.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I think we all have to look at the overall. Yes, things are going away - but they have to.

In order for this park to survive and eventually grow, there's things we have to accept that are going to go away. Personally, I love 50's Prime Time. Fantastic restaurant. Great theme. But it very well may go.... and we'll get something even better in its place. I'll also hate losing the Roger Rabbit references but again, thats just me being selfish. I enjoyed One Man's Dream but as for a temporary attraction for 100 Years of Magic Celebration, It did very very well, although the film changed over the years.

Whats good for the overall and keeps guests coming in is whats important. No longer will anyone be saying "There's nothing to do at the Studios."

This park is on life support and they just announced some major organ transplants. Life will be radically different.

wannabeBelle

Oh dont get me wrong, I love the 50's Prime Time but would dig the Cantina as well. I say take out one of the other restaurants that isnt doing as well and put it there or better yet, just add the others in without eliminating anything. I realize things will have to go in order to make way for the new and am excited. I would like to just keep the items that we KNOW work and are popular if we possibly can. Marie

flyerjab

After seeing all of the announcements I am intrigued how all of this is going to mesh together into one park, especially in the transition areas. I think that they were very smart, though, not to reveal everything. With the EPCOT "refurbs/additions", huge DAK upgrades, and of course the DHS announcement including the land most everyone has been waiting for - Star Wars - it is clear (to me) that Disney is going right at UNI and the boy wizard. And honestly, it's about time. But, it will be to nobody's surprise, that UNI is probably going to counter this with some more big news of some sort - maybe Nintendo stuff or more Potter, better Marvel area, etc.

When they do make more announcements to their two parks, this is when Disney can come right back out and announce a Phase 2 for DHS. I have already heard/read several comments that at least 2 more Pixar areas are coming. That might explain why TSL is laid out the way it is. I think it looks very spread out and open, something I can safely say a lot of DHS is not in its current state. I can't wait to walk around that land with the slinky coaster zooming through a large part of the area. What I love is that the DHS TSL has a unique family coaster that appears larger that 7DMT (with some supposed interactive elements), a uniquely themed spinning ride, and the largest version of TSMM. And these are just the rides. There is clearly at least one eating area, and other M&G/shopping areas. Compare this to the TSL and TSPL at the oversees parks. Our 3 rides, plus other food/merch/M&G areas will crush what the other parks have. We might finally have something that is better than what the other parks have.

As far as what we do know vs. what we don't, then imagine walking beyond the Buzz area of TSL and into a unique version of Cars Land with a possible D/E-Ticket ride, a Flo's or Cozy Cone, and other theming/possible M&Gs. On top of that, I have even heard of another area that could support another Pixar franchise. At some future date, this park should have no trouble drawing some of the crowd from MK.

To sum this up, we know most likely what will remain, that Star Wars and Toy Story lands are coming along with at least 4 new rides. I still think that a version of Cars Land will come here with maybe 2 more rides, as well as another Pixar property that would probably have at least one ride. If Muppets stay - and I really hope that they do - the area will hopefully be plussed with a new movie, and maybe a restaurant. This could be possible Phase 2 announcements that Disney is keeping close for now. And they can, as just the Star Wars announcements alone pretty much blows everything else away right now.

It is also quite ironic that they are using one of UNI's ex-creatives to help design the expansion Disney hopes will outdraw Potter. I think that after seeing some of the Potter offerings at UNI, Trowbridge can clearly knock this out of the park (so to speak). As I lean more towards the positive side, I bet that this is going to be as truly spectacular is we hope it will be.

mm52200

I just don't understand why they have to replace the Echo Lake area and all of those structures? Truly expand the park and it's footprint. Don't just repurpose existing structures. You're building cool things that are going to attract so many more people to the park but they aren't actually expanding capacity in terms of guest areas, restaurants, etc if the rumored plans we're seeing actually happen. Attraction count is remaining the same pretty much, we've lost a lot more than we're gaining. SURE some of those attractions were dated or could stand an update, so you do that. You update them, you don't just bulldoze them for a walkway(One Man's Dream, Voyage of the Little Mermaid). Hopefully there are more plans that they haven't announced yet, or that Star Wars Land won't just retheme existing structures and bulldoze more theatres. Otherwise I'll be pretty upset.

Kman101

This is just a guess but I'd imagine they COULD call the front half of the park Hollywoodland. There'd still be the names Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. but the front half is labled as one big Hollywoodland. Then you have GMR as the center/icon/weenie (for now?), Star Wars Land on the left, Muppets, Cars Land (where LMA is -- just an assumption), Toy Story Land and whatever is left of Animation courtyard (and whatever it becomes in the future), and then you're back at Sunset/Hollywood.

I'd like to see Monsters in there somewere. Animation Courtyard could work. Keep Voyage building and put Laugh Floor there. Put the Monsters coaster in Animation building and harryhausens in Disney Jr. Or they keep it a "Disney Animation" section and consider it part of Hollywood.

Anway, enough armchair. Just some thoughts on how the park could be laid out. That's even if Monsters/Cars remain on the table. They make the most sense based on loooong running rumors, but there's just too much conflicting info.

Kman101

I just don't understand why they have to replace the Echo Lake area and all of those structures? Truly expand the park and it's footprint. Don't just repurpose existing structures. You're building cool things that are going to attract so many more people to the park but they aren't actually expanding capacity in terms of guest areas, restaurants, etc if the rumored plans we're seeing actually happen. Attraction count is remaining the same pretty much, we've lost a lot more than we're gaining. SURE some of those attractions were dated or could stand an update, so you do that. You update them, you don't just bulldoze them for a walkway(One Man's Dream, Voyage of the Little Mermaid). Hopefully there are more plans that they haven't announced yet, or that Star Wars Land won't just retheme existing structures and bulldoze more theatres. Otherwise I'll be pretty upset.

I'd say they *could* start the land AFTER Echo Lake starting with Sounds Dangerous, leaving the rest as transition, but with all the trees, they can just add some rocks and more trees and have that serve as an entrance. Unfortunately.

CapitanEo

Somewhat surprising that SWL is to take over Echo Lake area. Will make for a hard transition coming from Hollywood Blvd. Would make more sense to make it an Indy area as that is 1930's(same as Hollywood Blvd) as well as it being Lucas. Pretty much what they have now I know, just plus the area. Maybe things would be different if they had plans for the Indy IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom