DHS-First to worst. Can I get an amen?

misterID

That's like saying a girl has a really nice personality...we all know what you mean.

:D

:lol:

As for the Great Movie ride..... seriously has ANYONE ever seen a Buzby Berkly film?? Certainly not the 19 yo "driving" the ride.

No way, the whole point is to celebrate the history of film, and Bugsby is very, very important to film history. If anything, it's introducing people to those movies and great scenes.

And for the record, I've seen many of his films :king:

fosse76

Correct me if I am wrong, but it WAS a studio before MGM and did ok...right? I think with things upcoming it will be fine!

Yes and no. As fas as I'm concerned, the only reason they designed parts of it to be a working studio was to justify building the park in the first place. However, it was never intended to be a studio-only...the studio parts were built first and had productions going before the park was finished, but it wasn't a studio first.

heartodisney

Yes and no. As fas as I'm concerned, the only reason they designed parts of it to be a working studio was to justify building the park in the first place. However, it was never intended to be a studio-only...the studio parts were built first and had productions going before the park was finished, but it wasn't a studio first.

Thanks! :wave:

Horizons1

Good God, no. The minute that show is changed is the day I never ever go to WDW again. Update the effects, maybe, but the show itself was the last thing Jim Henson completely, and should never be changed.

And besides, Philhar may have better effects, but Muppets is much more entertaining.

Yes, some of us that enjoy classic movies have seen them.

Besides, what would you like to replace it? Some of the crap that comes out nowadays? No thank you.

I disagree. Just because it was the last project Jim Henson worked on does not mean it should stay forever. The Muppets should continue to have a presence in MGM, but not in the same old tired show. A new 3-D could be filmed starring the Muppets. Maybe make the Great Muppet Movie Ride into a 3-D film.

H20Babie

DHS is my son's favourite park. He's 8 (not young enough for the new Mickey Mouse Club/Handy Manny set or old enough to appreciate some of the old Hollywood grandeur), but he loves the atmosphere of DHS and, of course, it is chock-full of testosterone ... Buzz, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Aerosmith, Power Rangers, LMA and the good vs evil Fantasmic. I think DHS is "almost" the anti-MK for boys ... not too many princesses here for him to run into :lol:

Dave Disney

I'm definitely a DHS fan but I will most likely always refer to it as MGM when talking about it. I agree that it could be more cohesive themewise but there are some absolutely terrific attractions there: ToT,TSMM,RnR, and of course Muppets, my all time favorite 3D attraction. It also has great atmosphere, excellent shops and street entertainment and some very good eating! In terms of fix-ups they definitely need to update GMR, I'm not saying drastic changes just some tweaks, and man I can't wait for the stupid Prince Caspian "attraction" to be gone that is the biggest waste of time! As for other things I think they should expand the muppets presence, I'm all for an MI dark ride and actually they are addressing one my other suggestions very soon which is ST 2.0. All that said I think my point is that DHS is still a great and unique park with a lot to offer and a lot of potential to get even better!

WorldKey

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who also loves Disney World and we were both in agreement that Disney Studios (MGM, Hollywood, whatever) went from favorite park to least favorite park over the past ten years or so. It seems more like a collection of a few good rides instead of a full-fledged concept. With the actual studios gone, it feels like it lost its core and purpose. Imagine Animal Kingdom without the animals. You would still have a few nice attractions, but it would be missing the whole point.
I'm not against having a theme park based on the movies. But this theme park was based on a working movie/television studio--and it's obvious that it's missing something now. If anyone got a chance to see what it was like in the first few years of operation you know what I mean. It was exciting to see real TV shows taped there and to know animators were working on the latest Disney feature on the premises.
New attractions at DHS are slow to come, but when they do they are of high quality. But, unlike the other parks, this place doesn't add up to more than the sum of its parts.
What do you think? I've never been to DCA in Anaheim, but it seems to suffer from the same disease. Is DHS the East Coast DCA?

I agree 100%. It was special when you felt like you were really at a working studio. The idea that Disney abandoned the concept I guess because it wasn't 'practical' (which means that it was too costly to support these functions on site) disappointed a lot of us. Never the same. I loved watching the animators at work on a new feature. Yes, I know a lot of it was staged but it was fun to see.

GrannyJill2

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who also loves Disney World and we were both in agreement that Disney Studios (MGM, Hollywood, whatever) went from favorite park to least favorite park over the past ten years or so. It seems more like a collection of a few good rides instead of a full-fledged concept.

And one big shopping mall with the same stuff in every single shop. Toy Story Mania was the ONLY reason I went to DHS this year. The Great Movie Ride was so dated that most of the young people in our group had no idea who they were looking at. Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster are the other big draws, but they are getting long in the tooth IMHO.

DHS needs to do something to revive the park, but I'm not sure what that would be. Until then, it's a couple of hours in the morning, and then off to another park.

Laura

Premium Member
I've never been to DCA in Anaheim, but it seems to suffer from the same disease. Is DHS the East Coast DCA?

It definitely doesn't suffer from the same disease. DCA is phenomenal, even now with walls up everywhere you look. A few years from now, there will be so much new stuff there I won't even be able to contain myself. :lol: The Studios should aspire to it.

As a teenager, MGM was my favorite park...and it's definitely gone miles downhill since then.

SirGoofy

I really want to know how the park has gone "miles" downhill as everyone claims.

It's done nothing but improve and add world class attractions.:shrug:

_Scar

I really want to know how the park has gone "miles" downhill as everyone claims.

It's done nothing but improve and add world class attractions.:shrug:

It let F!, GMR, Star Tours (to name a few) rot without any updates or improvements..... :lookaroun

_Scar

A) It's not The Great Disney Movie ride. Most of those are already represented in the Disney parks.

B) Titanic is not a classic.:lol:

A. So? Walt Disney revolutionized the film industry. Would it really hurt if his companies flms were highlighted?

B. :eek: Shwhat?!

SirGoofy

A. So? Walt Disney revolutionized the film industry. Would it really hurt if his companies flms were highlighted?

Why? Why make it an all Disney ride? It would represent such a small percentage of the great movies, besides the ovies that are in there are truly great. No need to get rid of any of them.

_Scar;3961853B. :eek: Shwhat?![/QUOTE said:
As a movie, Titanic honestly sucks.

_Scar

GMR is still an amazing E-ticket experience. Star Tours is getting it's significant upgrade, and F! is far from rotting.

Yea- but it still is in the 90's with the AA's which completely kills any thought of actually being in the movie scene. Horrible, horrible AAs.

Yea, but it took them 20 years....

F! might as well be rotting. With OLC's new version coming and DL's looking 10x better, DHS's is :hurl::hurl::hurl:

SirGoofy

Yea- but it still is in the 90's with the AA's which completely kills any thought of actually being in the movie scene. Horrible, horrible AAs.

Easy fix. Besides, most of the problem is the AA skin in this ride. It's way to shiny and most don't look like the stars enough. Change that and it'd be golden.

F! might as well be rotting. With OLC's new version coming and DL's looking 10x better, DHS's is :hurl::hurl::hurl:

All of F!'s effects work perfectly, and it's still a good show. Could it use an update? Sure why not. But it's far from rotting.

lebeau

The gutting of BLT and the Animation Studio definitely change the entire feel of this park. Now, it feels more like a generic amusement park - albeit one with Disney-level attractions. But the overall flavor of the park is a grab-bag.

My fix for DHS: -shows, +dark rides (and if you can somehow tie things together with a more coherent theme that would be great)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom