DHS CARS LAND

Buried20KLeague

I know everyone wants The Tour to be out, but I was just on the Diseyland Paris Studios site, and they had a backlot tour, that's very different to this backlot tour and it looks very interesting by the looks of it. If they redo the backlot tour, then they can make it like they have it over there, and yes they should put RSR over at HS. Can't we have both a new, and interesting, Backlot Tour and RSR? Seems likely to me, anyways.

The backlot tour over there is WORSE than the one in Orlando.

Taylor

Hhhmmm, sounds like Disney was trying to create some sort of studio aspect like Universal. Doesn't look like it worked out.
I really think stuff like that only works in Hollywood. Especially if they've given up on filming movies there

devoy1701

So pretty much Avatarland is cancelled and this is green lit? At least they're using their own movies for new attractions so I say this is a GREAT thing. :D

Pretty much. A certain Spirited member of our community was telling us that Avatar wasn't going to happen...what...6-8 months ago now? When are people going to stop doubting this guy? People thought that just because Bob Iger made a short, curt, remark about it at the shareholders' meeting only after the question was forced upon him that it confirmed that Avatar was a go?

Everyone needs to realize that TWDC, TDO, et al are NOT as transparent to the public as they think. That Disney Parks Blog is not the go-to source for confirming all of their actions and motives, and that there is a very interesting power struggle that seems to be heating up in Burbank (and a true sense of Panic in TDO).

@WDW1974...next time you have an extra pass to the Emmys, I would love to add that to my list of events I've attended! ;)

MickeysStalker

Pretty much. A certain Spirited member of our community was telling us that Avatar wasn't going to happen...what...6-8 months ago now? When are people going to stop doubting this guy? People thought that just because Bob Iger made a short, curt, remark about it at the shareholders' meeting only after the question was forced upon him that it confirmed that Avatar was a go?

Everyone needs to realize that TWDC, TDO, et al are NOT as transparent to the public as they think. That Disney Parks Blog is not the go-to source for confirming all of their actions and motives, and that there is a very interesting power struggle that seems to be heating up in Burbank (and a true sense of Panic in TDO).

@WDW1974...next time you have an extra pass to the Emmys, I would love to add that to my list of events I've attended! ;)

Avatarland was an ill concieved idea from the get-go IMO, so I can't say I'm not thrilled it isn't happening anymore. Of course the powers that be at Disney aren't going to admit that they made a knee-jerk decision and decided to scrap the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they never mention Avatarland again. They'll just pretend like it never happened.

Californian Elitist

I really think stuff like that only works in Hollywood. Especially if they've given up on filming movies there

Yeah, I'm glad someone else said it. Sorry, but Florida is not Hollywood, not any other state for that matter. From what I hear, Disney had a decent attempt with the Hollywood filmmaking in Florida at first but when it come down to it, it just doesn't work as well.

Mickey_777

Well, it is very obvious that you are not a parent to any small children. If you were, you wouldn't be making these statements, and you would realize why people like me can not get on a 5 1/2 hour flight with my 2 year old daughter. She is in the terrible 2's and there is no way that she would sit quietly in a plane seat for 5 1/2 hours unless she was drugged somehow (which I would never do). I would not subject myself or the other 250 people on that flight to that type of torture. Especially when she is too young to even reach the height requirement for many of the rides in DCA. WDW on the other hand is a different story. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight which is the max for her, even towards the end of the flight she gets cranky and annoyed and wants to run around and starts crying etc. I am in a huge population of people that have small children who just can not be on a flight for that long with them. That is why I, and I'm sure many other families have no plans of making it out to DCA anytime soon. I was planning on going once my daughter was older and over 40 inches tall, but that would not be for a couple of years.

Now, if it was just my husband and I, we would be on the next flight out to Cali!

I'm the father of the naturally best behaved boy you'll ever meet. Plus I run a tight ship. That whole temper tantrum nonsense on a plane wouldn't fly even if he did try. He's never given us problems while flying. He'll fly out to Disneyland and like it! :p

rnese

The BIG NEWS will be a "meet and greet" with Francesco Bernoulli and Finn McMissle! Wow...can't wait!

But seriously, if they want to avoid the "cloning" issue or the red rocks not fitting the scenery, why not go for a CARS 2 theme and make it a "Grand Prix" through a city scape! The city scape would at least look better up against the city theming in that area of the park.

tomman710

Avatarland was an ill concieved idea from the get-go IMO, so I can't say I'm not thrilled it isn't happening anymore. Of course the powers that be at Disney aren't going to admit that they made a knee-jerk decision and decided to scrap the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they never mention Avatarland again. They'll just pretend like it never happened.

Agreed ... and further evidence how out of touch with their product, fanbase, and even society as a whole they really were. Avatar was fool hardy, rushed, forced, and a million other negative adjectives. Cars, while not my favorite, is at least a proven winner in films, merch, and now park attractions.

Lasseter can't do everything but imagine what this company and the parks would be like if they had someone else in power positions that actually had business acumen combined with an actual passion for the product! That's a world shattering idea.

cynic710

again, i think the introduction of a cars themed area should be part in a bigger picture, which would be pixar place. This could be a large and controlled theme land that provides an ability to enjoy all pixar has to offer. the new fantasy land is that way, as a simple walk will bring you from the mountains of belle and the beast, right to the beach with eric and ariel. the same concept could be had in DHS as pixar place. there is already a toy story footprint, why not expand on that?

devoy1701

Agreed ... and further evidence how out of touch with their product, fanbase, and even society as a whole they really were. Avatar was fool hardy, rushed, forced, and a million other negative adjectives. Cars, while not my favorite, is at least a proven winner in films, merch, and now park attractions.

Lasseter can't do everything but imagine what this company and the parks would be like if they had someone else in power positions that actually had business acumen combined with an actual passion for the product! That's a world shattering idea.

Passion for the product is key. I think Iger is a great business man, that has been proven with the deals he has been able to negotiate, and the success that the Disney company has had during his tenure (though I still think he's been making middle of the road safe decisions). He lacks the passion for what is Disney though. The original Brand, not the media conglomerate, and that is what is deluting the brand, homogenizing the parks, turns "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" into just "Disney," rams princesses and pirates galore down our throats, and tries to bring an outside property like Avatar (or acquired properities like Marvel) in to compete with the likes of Potter, while franchises like John Carter, or Tron are set up to fail.

alissafalco

I'm the father of the naturally best behaved boy you'll ever meet. Plus I run a tight ship. That whole temper tantrum nonsense on a plane wouldn't fly even if he did try. He's never given us problems while flying. He'll fly out to Disneyland and like it! :p

LOL yeah ok....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yet, one might question the amount of time you spend on a Disney fan forum instead of engaging in more productive pursuits, no?

Forums like this represent 'gaps' in my days and downtime. Not what I get up to do today :)

I love Paris. One of my favorite places on Earth. Yet, I've never visited and not gone to DLP because I also love great theme parks

The postulation was a theme park represents a 'must do' for everyone when traveling to the other side of the world for a once in a lifetime trip. Honestly, if we get out of the theme park fantatics sphere.. do you really believe the general audience feels that way? It's like saying 'I'm going to Egypt, and I'm gonna pass up on the pyramids so I can compare the differences between dumbo spinners!'

I enjoy theme parks - but I don't put them on a pedestal above all else. Heck, I spent years visiting the Anaheim Convention Center for work and never visiting DL right next door on those trips. I don't feel as if my life is less fullfilled because of it either... of course it helps that it was during the Harris/Pressler years ;)

I get accused here of being an elitist, among other things left and right (and I plead guilty to that one), but it seems very elitist to sit on some throne and tell folks who are able to visit Paris regularly that they should skip Mickey's place in the old beet fields (and I'm sure it would hurt Eddie Sotto's feelings if he ever read another thread here)

That's not what I said - and I suggest you go back and read GoofGoof's post.

twebber55

Avatar is dead? who knew.... i thought our resident insiders have been backing off of the idea of this not happening..especially with balloons high in the air, big rumors of the FOTLK moving etc.....

tomman710

Avatar is dead? who knew.... i thought our resident insiders have been backing off of the idea of this not happening..especially with balloons high in the air, big rumors of the FOTLK moving etc.....

From my understanding based on what they have said in this thread, and it makes logical sense ... that it's not dead, per se, but TDO would rather divert the funds earmarked for that to go with a proven winner like Carsland.

spacemt354

Chili's
From my understanding based on what they have said in this thread, and it makes logical sense ... that it's not dead, per se, but TDO would rather divert the funds earmarked for that to go with a proven winner like Carsland.

They can't construct both Carsland and Avatar at the same time? What would Avatar cost maybe 400-500 million and Carsland 300 million approx? That's an 800 million investment over 4-5 years compared to the DCA 1.7 billion dollar expansion over 5 years. Maybe that is asking too much though for the same organization that takes 2 years to build a kiddie coaster...

devoy1701

They can't construct both Carsland and Avatar at the same time? What would Avatar cost maybe 400-500 million and Carsland 300 million approx? That's an 800 million investment over 4-5 years compared to the DCA 1.7 billion dollar expansion over 5 years. Maybe that is asking too much though for the same organization that takes 2 years to build a kiddie coaster...

The problem is that Avatar 2 and 3 have apparently come to a screeching halt. And it's already been 3 years since Avatar 1 was last relavent. I think shelved is an accurate description for this project at this point, because the lull for Avatar could be another 5 years for all we know. Shelved and the suits are looking for ways to divert the funds, which is actually a new concept for TDO to reappropriate funds. But I would give credit to that move to Corporate.

tomman710

I should have said it makes logical sense when filtered through the misguided TDO prism.

I agree in a perfect world a billion dollar investment in a few major attractions should do light years of wonder for the parks (although personally I don't think Avatar should be invested in, but that's another debate and ultimately might be rendered moot.)

RSoxNo1

Does the Lion King show not use the floats from Disneyland's old Lion King parade? It's been ages since I saw the show, so I can't remember.
Yes, it reused parade floats.

Little Mermaid was not built on SSL infrastructure. It is in a different building. That was Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. And for the love everything, that thing does not need to be cloned!
Yes, I was referring to Mike and Sully to the Rescue. @techee had suggested that the bring the Monster's Inc dark ride over and I made the point that it used existing infrastructure from SSL. As for whether or not it needs to be cloned. I agree it's not necessary, but a simple dark ride like that wouldn't be a bad addition to DHS.
I really don't know much about any original rides at DCA, except for Carsland, which I only saw online, and I know what it (Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue) replaced, but what I wanted was a ride that would follow Monsters Inc. story. Hollywood Studios don't need another coaster, even if it's a family coaster. They need another family ride, without a height requirement, and that seems like one option that might work. I looked at the Monsters Inc ride in Tokyo Disneyland (Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek), but the plot almost reminds me of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, where they turn the factory into a laugh floor. Plus, it's interactive (using flashlights to shine on the different monsters) which is similar to Toy Story Space Ranger Spin and Toy Story Midway Mania. In conclusion, I think HS needs a ride that does follow the story of Monsters Inc. and the only ride like that is Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue (which is a family dark ride). Plus, this ride doesn't have to follow the same infrastructure as Superstar Limo, which makes it it's unique take on this ride. Or, they could just do an unique take on the movie, which is also possible.
I agree. I think a high quality dark ride that perhaps has a lower capacity (therefore high demand/longer lines/greater fastpass demand) would make a good addition. Whether that's themed to Monster's Inc or another Pixar property, I'm not sure it really matters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom