DHS CARS LAND

WDWFanDave

I am not normally one to jump to JT's defense, but "Jay Raslou saying Avatar is happening" is a fact, he said it at an investor conference a few weeks ago. Of course this doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that Avatar will actually happen.

Right, and I think you'd chimed in before on this too, that even if Rasulo is saying that things are/are not going to happen, we all have to take a step back and realize that this is a publicly owned/traded company, and there are significant restrictions on what any executive can and cannot disclose, at least on the record. The reality is that in his statements he left a lot of openings...I listened to the conference call as well, and in there he indicated that they'd be dialing back spending, but not eliminating it. He did specifically mention Avatar, more than once, and that the plans are still on track for a 2015-2016 planned opening. Additional developments will likely come from the budget that's already in place, and one that's been expanding some over the last few years, exclusive of the capital expenditure budgets they put in place for Shanghai, DCA and FLE. Made pretty good sense to me.

And, anyone who has had the opportunity to ever work in a publicly owned/traded company knows that the pending new fiscal year, in Disney's case beginning October 1st, means that there are things that won't be released to the public until it (the budget) is finalized and the new year has begun.

One thing I think most of us have in common is that we love Disney. We so badly want them to continue to entice us to return time after time to leave the outside world behind, keeping the things that we love about the parks static, but continuing to develop and change and build new things for us to explore. I really hope they deliver!

Epcot '92

Back to the height restrictions argument... 40 inches is not a terrible "oh no my family will split" height. Soarin', Test Track, Thunder, Splash, Dinosaur, TOWER, Kali River Rapids (actually 38 inches). Space and Everest are 44 inches. I could be mistaken, but these seem to be the Popular rides at their respective parks. Oh and many a young boy with a Cars shirt who is no more than 4 or 5 rides Tower on a daily basis. So yeah, Height restrictions are not that much of a deal breaker in the grand scheme of things.

mickey2008.1

I have just read the last three pages and have learned nothing. So what is the reality of Carsland at DHS? And what will it contain? I only ask as this thread has drifted and want to get back on point.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have just read the last three pages and have learned nothing. So what is the reality of Carsland at DHS? And what will it contain? I only ask as this thread has drifted and want to get back on point.

A number of insiders are reporting that Carsland in some form is close to being green-lit, but there are no details beyond this.

Beholder

It'd be interesting if all this Carsland talk was really a big smoke screen for something completely new and unexpected. Not saying that Carsland is good or not, just throwing the idea out there. I'm not even suggesting it's a possibility, but sort of a "what if?" kind of exercise. I'm not familiar with Disney's past practices as far as pre-announcement efforts to keep things under wraps, but telling the world that Carsland was indeed coming to WDW wouldn't exactly be a shocker. Perhaps to the general public, but not the "fans".

RSoxNo1

So you are saying Jay Rasolu is not a person who would know then? Brilliant. Keep up the good work.
Jay Rasolu isn't a real person. Jay Rasulo is the company CFO that says things publicly that he might not believe privately. Consider the source and the audience before making these posts. Rasulo has made public statements previously that have been half truths (or flat our lies). And considering the spending on ships, DCA, and Time Shares in recent years, it's not unrealistic to see $1 billion spent over the next 4 years in WDW along with $500 million in DIsneyland and that being a significant drop off in new investments.

AndyMagic

So, given your logic, should we just let our children sit in a corner all day drooling on themselves because "they won't remember"?

You're using a ridiculous slippery slope fallacy. Obviously you should spend quality time with your children and make sure they are happy kids. Schlepping out on a very, very expensive vacation is a little different than going to the local playground which judging by home video of me as a child I enjoyed quite a bit more than being dragged onto rides that I couldn't understand. I wanted to play in the sand box, not sit on a moving bench while big things jumped out at me. There is no need to get offended about this. Bringing a 6-month old baby to Disney World is, in fact, a waste. They do not have the mental capability to understand any of it and more often than not, it is far too over-stimulating and scary. What you are doing is projecting your knowledge and experience onto the reaction of the child similar to how dog owners think animals understand what they are saying. They don't.

CrescentLake

No, I am saying that a clone of the DCA version is highly unlikely if not impossible. It is my opinion that the land is not suitable for such infrastructure. The cost of the foundations alone would make it impossible IMO.

That said, a 'land' based on the Cars franchise may be coming to DHS. But remember, some of those same insiders said that Lasseter was against the idea. So, which "expert" opinion are we supposed to believe?

Well, and I'm sure I speak for everyone here, nobody cares about your opinion. Those with actual facts completely refute you. As of now, we know that some form of Carsland is coming.

Somewhat related, I lurk the forums everyday, I don't post much because of people like jt...has he ever been right about something like this?

Beholder

I'm not sure that taking your child (or children), regardless of age, to Disney or anywhere is a "waste". If you've been taking vacations before children, then why stop after they come into the picture? No, a 6 month old won't remember much, but there are parents who enjoy bonding and/or creating memories in a place that's special to THEM. So the child doesn't understand, but mom does. Dad does. It's a shared experience that in later years will become more meaningful to the child. And Disney is expensive, but everything is relative. I've known parents who consider it a waste driving 2 minutes to see their kid play school softball. For free. If the FAMILY enjoys the time together, then great. Besides, even if a young infant/toddler doesn't understand the narrative of a given attraction, what they DO understand is the happiness that mom/dad get from being with
them. And that's a fact.

Gomer

You're using a ridiculous slippery slope fallacy. Obviously you should spend quality time with your children and make sure they are happy kids. Schlepping out on a very, very expensive vacation is a little different than going to the local playground which judging by home video of me as a child I enjoyed quite a bit more than being dragged onto rides that I couldn't understand. I wanted to play in the sand box, not sit on a moving bench while big things jumped out at me. There is no need to get offended about this. Bringing a 6-month old baby to Disney World is, in fact, a waste. They do not have the mental capability to understand any of it and more often than not, it is far too over-stimulating and scary. What you are doing is projecting your knowledge and experience onto the reaction of the child similar to how dog owners think animals understand what they are saying. They don't.

My 11 month old had a blast in wdw. Flashing lights, music, balloons... It's really a fantastic place for a baby. He seemed to be having more fun than he does at the local park. Also, my wife, my older son, and myself had significantly more fun than we would at a local playground, so it's a win-win.

I'm also not sure why everyone is so concerned with whether the baby can remember the trip. You can have plenty if fun, even if you don't remember it all afterwards. Ask anyone who has ever tried drinking around the world at Epcot.

Jane Doe

On the subject of cost, we were there in January, two adults, two teens and an eleven month old. Total cost of transatlantic flight, cot in our hotel room and tickets for Disney and Universal for the eleven month old was around $70 for two weeks. I recommend taking them along, they're a bargain.

RSoxNo1

My 11 month old had a blast in wdw. Flashing lights, music, balloons... It's really a fantastic place for a baby. He seemed to be having more fun than he does at the local park. Also, my wife, my older son, and myself had significantly more fun than we would at a local playground, so it's a win-win.

I'm also not sure why everyone is so concerned with whether the baby can remember the trip. You can have plenty if fun, even if you don't remember it all afterwards. Ask anyone who has ever tried drinking around the world at Epcot.
Back in the good old days when I did standup, I did a bit about a family trip to Disney World where my sister insisted on taking my 18 month old nephew onto every "kiddy ride in the park." The tag was, "he gets the same satisfaction out of s***ing his pants than he does from seeing Winnie the Pooh".

Yes, you're going to see your infant smile and there's a level of satisfaction there, but their overall level of comprehension is obviously lacking. The value will come from photos and videos of the experience, and the memories of the adults on the trip.

Comparing that trip to one this January where my same nephew was 5 1/2. Not only is he remembering elements of the trip, he was looking at the large map of New Fantasyland and was able to point out (at the time) the current location of Dumbo on the map that had Dumbo in it's new location.

Gomer

Back in the good old days when I did standup, I did a bit about a family trip to Disney World where my sister insisted on taking my 18 month old nephew onto every "kiddy ride in the park." The tag was, "he gets the same satisfaction out of s***ing his pants than he does from seeing Winnie the Pooh".

Yes, you're going to see your infant smile and there's a level of satisfaction there, but their overall level of comprehension is obviously lacking. The value will come from photos and videos of the experience, and the memories of the adults on the trip.

Comparing that trip to one this January where my same nephew was 5 1/2. Not only is he remembering elements of the trip, he was looking at the large map of New Fantasyland and was able to point out (at the time) the current location of Dumbo on the map that had Dumbo in it's new location.

I think that argument holds water if you are planning a once in a lifetime trip. But, I would assume most of us on this board will go to wdw more than one or two times so the fear of baby having a less great time shouldn't really be a determining factor.

Atomicmickey

Since @jt04 is so certain Carsland is not happening at DHS (despite mounds of evidence, insider info, company posturing which indicates the contrary) ... can we get a patent pending "JT Guarantee" that if Carsland happens he'll leave the boards?

Nah. He covered his bases by saying:

"No, I am saying that a clone of the DCA version is highly unlikely if not impossible. It is my opinion that the land is not suitable for such infrastructure. The cost of the foundations alone would make it impossible IMO.

That said, a 'land' based on the Cars franchise may be coming to DHS."

So, it's unlikely if not impossible, but it may be coming. If one rock is different, or the layout has shifted even one iota, he can say 'I told you so', or if it doesn't happen at all, he can say 'I told you so'.

See how that works?

tomman710

Nah. He covered his bases by saying:

"No, I am saying that a clone of the DCA version is highly unlikely if not impossible. It is my opinion that the land is not suitable for such infrastructure. The cost of the foundations alone would make it impossible IMO.

That said, a 'land' based on the Cars franchise may be coming to DHS."

So, it's unlikely if not impossible, but it may be coming. If one rock is different, or the layout has shifted even one iota, he can say 'I told you so', or if it doesn't happen at all, he can say 'I told you so'.

See how that works?

Yes I see ... you know with that kind of logic he is primed for a job at TDO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom