DHS CARS LAND

Cosmic Commando

Regarding height restrictions, so back to the area which is relevant to this thread, the issue is more for 3-4 year olds who haven't hit that magical 40" mark. And that's a group that certainly can have a blast at WDW overall, but I'd submit that overall DHS is not that captivating for them overall (though ironically , it's the location of the Disney Jr show and character meal). I just think it would be important in any large scale improvements there that some family friendly rides are added to balance things out. I don't think it's an odd request to want to see another 2-3 rides that anyone could go on. And it would take some of the stress and wait away from TSMM.
I don't think there's anything ironic about it: take the least kid-friendly park, add the MOST kid-ified attraction, and then those families have to go there.

Beholder

All this talk about height requirements and targeting this age group and that demographic is, I imagine, so different than when Disney started in the theme park business. Back then, the demographic was everyone, emphasis on the family. The parks were a great balance that everyone enjoyed. Now times have changed, competition has arrived, and now things are created with a target audience in mind. I've always heard/read that artist, to truly create works of art (music, paintings, sculpture, etc) must create for themselves, not the "fan". Now Disney puts out surveys, questionnaires, study feedback all to gauge a potential reaction. At one time, Disney created the worlds greatest attractions based not on a market study, but on what they knew they would love. And it worked pretty good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All this talk about height requirements and targeting this age group and that demographic is, I imagine, so different than when Disney started in the theme park business. Back then, the demographic was everyone, emphasis on the family. The parks were a great balance that everyone enjoyed. Now times have changed, competition has arrived, and now things are created with a target audience in mind. I've always heard/read that artist, to truly create works of art (music, paintings, sculpture, etc) must create for themselves, not the "fan". Now Disney puts out surveys, questionnaires, study feedback all to gauge a potential reaction. At one time, Disney created the worlds greatest attractions based not on a market study, but on what they knew they would love. And it worked pretty good.
Classic Disney was to make rides for the whole family. Some had height restrictions at some point, but even a ride like Space Mountain is pretty tame. They tried to build more thrill rides to attract the teen and young adult crowd. DHS has a large portion of the thrill rides. They went through a period where almost all new attractions were thrill rides or simulators. Part of that is a reaction to what Universal was doing, and part is that kids these days want more action. If they opened Disneyland brand new today with its original ride lineup people would be critical. Classics like pirates, hm, and small world would be dismissed as lame. The LM dark ride and mine train in new fantasyland have already been written off by many as boring or not E ticket. It's hard to find the right mix of family friendly and thrill rides.

alphac2005

Now Disney puts out surveys, questionnaires, study feedback all to gauge a potential reaction. At one time, Disney created the worlds greatest attractions based not on a market study, but on what they knew they would love. And it worked pretty good.

What's interesting about Disney is that while they relentlessly market research, they always have the answers as built-in sets of what they want to hear. They've already culled through all the demographic information and have decided to do whatever they choose to (although that almost never includes just creating what they love as you noted) and use their "research" as just a way to justify what they want on the corporate side. Disney is about as bad as it comes to consumer surveys. You can have a terrible experience and their questionnaire can make it impossible to detail that and instead they end up with your complaint turning into a survey that says that everything is just magical.

Mawg

JT wouldn't know - because he has never seen it.

The Car's land structure is a steal structure with cement poured over the top, hollow on the inside. It weights a lot but there are a lot of massive structures around WDW that weigh more. A few of the taller resorts, Mt. Everest, probably even the castle. Disney has plenty of experience building in a swamp; I don't think this massive rock formation is going to pose a problem for them.

Mawg

What's interesting about Disney is that while they relentlessly market research, they always have the answers as built-in sets of what they want to hear. They've already culled through all the demographic information and have decided to do whatever they choose to (although that almost never includes just creating what they love as you noted) and use their "research" as just a way to justify what they want on the corporate side. Disney is about as bad as it comes to consumer surveys. You can have a terrible experience and their questionnaire can make it impossible to detail that and instead they end up with your complaint turning into a survey that says that everything is just magical.

Surveys and Research are done as a form of CYA. In the end they can be skewed any way they want to justify building something but they have to show boards and shareholders that they are building what the public wants so that when it's completed and if it fails they still have a job.

alphac2005

Surveys and Research are done as a form of CYA. In the end they can be skewed any way they want to justify building something but they have to show boards and shareholders that they are building what the public wants so that when it's completed and if it fails they still have a job.

I completely agree and that is the point as to why they do them. I was just pointing that out because I wasn't sure if everyone knows that they aren't really surveys, rather twisted pieces of data to serve somebody's agenda.

menamechris

The Car's land structure is a steal structure with cement poured over the top, hollow on the inside. It weights a lot but there are a lot of massive structures around WDW that weigh more. A few of the taller resorts, Mt. Everest, probably even the castle. Disney has plenty of experience building in a swamp; I don't think this massive rock formation is going to pose a problem for them.

Just curious - why did you quote me on this? ;)

PeterAlt

One hundred and two pages of posts here! Really? I just want to know if Cars Land is coming or not! I don't have time to read all this... Please, someone summarize! Thanks!

By the way, I think Cars Land would fit more in the Magic Kingdom in Frontier Land next to Big Thunder Mountain, behind Splash Mountain. Its rocks would blend in naturally and give the MK a much-needed E-ticket attraction. What DHS needs are more E-ticket thrill rides. That way, DHS would be for the "big kids" and MK for the younger ones.

GLaDOS

By the way, I think Cars Land would fit more in the Magic Kingdom in Frontier Land next to Big Thunder Mountain, behind Splash Mountain. Its rocks would blend in naturally and give the MK a much-needed E-ticket attraction. What DHS needs are more E-ticket thrill rides. That way, DHS would be for the "big kids" and MK for the younger ones.

Frontierland...? How does a world where automobiles are alive fit in with the American Old West?o_O

spacemt354

Chili's
One hundred and two pages of posts here! Really? I just want to know if Cars Land is coming or not! I don't have time to read all this... Please, someone summarize! Thanks!

Carsland is close to being green lit at DHS. There have been varying reports, but it seems as if it will be the full Carsland (minus luigis flying tires) There is also a strong possibility that the long rumored monster's inc doors coaster will be coming as well, and will be placed in between Carsland and tsmm. The backlot and LMA would close in this scenario.

Also there were other rumors that in addition to Carsland/monsters inc, both BatB and TLM shows would be replaced with "tangled" and phineas and ferb shows respectively. In addition, an expansion of the Jedi training academy to the old sounds dangerous studio is also a possibility, along with a smaller expansion of Star Wars that would potentially include somewhere to eat. And lastly, although the rumor has be proven false that a copy of DL's Indy attraction would be coming to DHS, there is still a possibility down the road that the stunt show will be replaced with an Indy attraction, however this is not concrete fact.

And the situation is very fluid, as it always is. Nothing has been announced officially but plans have been presented and ideas are circulating. For me, I'm just glad there seems to finally be some initiative going into renovating DHS.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
See, even a misquote is better than an existence as part of the nameless, amorphous mass of posters here.

With threads running into 100 pages, people eventually only stop and read the posts of posters they know by name. Like picking the known brand from a supermarket shelf.

And, crushing self doubt now cripples the forum, as posters wonder if they are part of the anonymous blob, or a shining star...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom