DHS CARS LAND

nytimez

My understanding is that talks with Lucas stalled a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) because he wants a cut of merch and a cut of the gate for any serious incarnation of a "Lucas Land," and Disney will give up neither. This is second-hand info so it can be taken with the usual grain of salt.

PurpleRose

They won't follow any books they'll follow the original outline George wrote in 73/74

Which irritates me. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying he signed off on the books. At one point, he had to approve the books before it could be published. All mighty George Lucas...

M.rudolf

Which irritates me. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying he signed off on the books. At one point, he had to approve the books before it could be published. All mighty George Lucas...
I don't disagree if you notice with the original trilogy he only wrote a new hope and gave writing duties to Lawrence kasdan, empire and Jedi also had different directors,the prequels were all written and directed by Lucas with no outside help. The quality between the 2 is huge. Hopefully by the time he's ready he'll hand over directors duties to someone else.

nytimez

He signed off on them, but he's also said that in his mind none of the stuff in the books (etc) ever happened in "his" Star Wars.

The Star Wars story, as he sees it, is strictly limited to the stuff he produced. Obviously, he's OK with the expanded universe -- or collecting money off the expanded universe -- but it's not part of the story he's telling.

PurpleRose

I don't disagree if you notice with the original trilogy he only wrote a new hope and gave writing duties to Lawrence kasdan, empire and Jedi also had different directors,the prequels were all written and directed by Lucas with no outside help. The quality between the 2 is huge. Hopefully by the time he's ready he'll hand over directors duties to someone else.

I have a few writers I would like to volunteer to help with this story. I absolutely agree with you. *deep sigh*

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think George is done with star wars yet he originally said it was a 9 part story based on his journal of whills. We will get the new television show next and I'd put money on it there will be another set of films. Too much money being left on the table. I'd say 15 years and we will see the return of the emperor

I don't think Lucasfilm is done with SW movies yet, but I don't know how much direct involvement Lucas would want to have. Look at he Clone Wars series, he has a lot of creative involvement, but Dave Filoni really runs the show day to day. If he's willing to let someone else write and direct there could be some pretty good movies especially if they tapped into all the extended universe material that is available (I would love an Heir to the Empire trilogy even). They had to offer Kathleen Kennedy something big to get here away from her own studio, something she couldn't do on her own, what better then a chance to make more SW movies.

M.rudolf

I don't think Lucasfilm is done with SW movies yet, but I don't know how much direct involvement Lucas would want to have. Look at he Clone Wars series, he has a lot of creative involvement, but Dave Filoni really runs the show day to day. If he's willing to let someone else write and direct there could be some pretty good movies especially if they tapped into all the extended universe material that is available (I would love an Heir to the Empire trilogy even). They had to offer Kathleen Kennedy something big to get here away from her own studio, something she couldn't do on her own, what better then a chance to make more SW movies.
I don't disagree at all kathleen Kennedy is there for a reason, lucasfilm's output is 4 movies in 12 years 3 of them star wars. I'd put money on it that old George has the outline for at least 3 more films. The new television show will probably go into production in early 2014. After all the 3d re releases are finished then things will start to heat up. Remember they release the older films before they start on newer ones so they don't have to use any outside financing. So next fall we get episode 2 and 3 in 3d. And every year after we will get one remastered film per year. After maybe we will get something new

El Grupo

My understanding is that talks with Lucas stalled a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) because he wants a cut of merch and a cut of the gate for any serious incarnation of a "Lucas Land," and Disney will give up neither. This is second-hand info so it can be taken with the usual grain of salt.

Wouldn't be surprised. Lucas probably wants a deal like Spielberg, who supposedly receives around 2% of the gross box office receipts from Universal Orlando.

El Grupo

Demolition of LMA and parts of the Backlot tour for Carsland, gutting out Indiana Jones stunt spectacular for Indy ride, full Carsland, Monsters coaster, and Sounds Dangerous being converted to Jedi Training academy building. Anyone have an estimated cost? Just curious and it's gotta cost alot...

If DHS did eventually replace the Indy Stunt Spectacular with a ride, I would like to see a portion of the area used for an indoor/outdoor water-based attraction. Maybe a more aggressive and elaborate version of Maelstrom with an Indy theme.

M.rudolf

Lucas already does get a cut of all star wars merch sold in the parks but he doesnt get a gate cut just the usual licensing fee. I honestly think this has less to do with money and more to do with egos. Hopefully either at Disney or elsewhere we will one day get a Lucas land

Chuckles

If DHS did eventually replace the Indy Stunt Spectacular with a ride, I would like to see a portion of the area used for an indoor/outdoor water-based attraction. Maybe a more aggressive and elaborate version of Maelstrom with an Indy theme.
The amphibious duck boat sequence fom Crystal Skulls would make a great water ride... Or maybe the raft scene from Temple, of course they'd have to build mine coaster as well.

nytimez

Lucas already does get a cut of all star wars merch sold in the parks but he doesnt get a gate cut just the usual licensing fee. I honestly think this has less to do with money and more to do with egos. Hopefully either at Disney or elsewhere we will one day get a Lucas land

Right. But that's relatively limited selection of merch compared to splitting merch across, say, Cars Land or Adventure Land or whatever other Land. As it was told to me, Disney didn't want an entire section of the theme park where they had to share merch revenue.

M.rudolf

Right. But that's relatively limited selection of merch compared to splitting merch across, say, Cars Land or Adventure Land or whatever other Land. As it was told to me, Disney didn't want an entire section of the theme park where they had to share merch revenue.
Believe me Disney looks at it as free money between Indy and Star Wars an entire section of park is already dedicated to it. The mark up on all park merchandise is phenomenal. It also brings in a different demographic. In the end I'm pretty sure they receive about 40% on all merchandise with no Disney characters on them and about 65% on all merch with Disney characters on them. That's nothing to sneeze at even if the numbers are off a little bit.

tomman710

And pick any episode from The Clone Wars series, its better than any of the new trilogy.

He created a universe with endless possibilities (as long as he no longer writes it).

Taylor

Has any of our insiders heard any updates to this expansion. I know it was last updated yesterday but you know how things change at TDO

Tom

Beta Return
Has any of our insiders heard any updates to this expansion. I know it was last updated yesterday but you know how things change at TDO

Have you read the last few pages of the thread? There are a lot of "maybe's" floating around, with some of them being "strong probably's" - but nobody has confirmed that any single project has actually been green lit.

Something is obviously in the works, or they wouldn't have mobilized WDI to Florida, but I'm sure there are lots of meetings taking place behind locked doors right now in Orlando.

Regardless, it's almost a guarantee that we won't hear a peep from Disney until FLE is officially open, so there will be no DHS news any sooner than December, if even then. No way they'll let any other news undercut the FLE press event. They can't afford to steal their own thunder.

Taylor

Have you read the last few pages of the thread? There are a lot of "maybe's" floating around, with some of them being "strong probably's" - but nobody has confirmed that any single project has actually been green lit.

Something is obviously in the works, or they wouldn't have mobilized WDI to Florida, but I'm sure there are lots of meetings taking place behind locked doors right now in Orlando.

Regardless, it's almost a guarantee that we won't hear a peep from Disney until FLE is officially open, so there will be no DHS news any sooner than December, if even then. No way they'll let any other news undercut the FLE press event. They can't afford to steal their own thunder.
Ok thanks, yeah I've read the whole thread I was just wondering, since this a very fluid situation things could change every minute

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok thanks, yeah I've read the whole thread I was just wondering, since this a very fluid situation things could change every minute

Just relax.. the people with info to share will share it when they are motivated to do so. If they didn't reveal an element (timing, etc), normally that's by design. Sit back and enjoy the news when it hits.

Beholder

I'm certainly looking forward to what they have planned. At least I'm looking forward to an announcement. I'm hoping that they take into account ALL the issues DHA has. I don't believe for a minute that they'll be addressed in one, giant overhaul, but perhaps what they do start with will be the groundwork for future updates/corrections/expansions. I'm forever hopefull.

menamechris

I'm certainly looking forward to what they have planned. At least I'm looking forward to an announcement. I'm hoping that they take into account ALL the issues DHA has. I don't believe for a minute that they'll be addressed in one, giant overhaul, but perhaps what they do start with will be the groundwork for future updates/corrections/expansions. I'm forever hopefull.

I think TDO would be very wise to have a "master plan" for DHS, and make announcements as they go. I think general public opinion of Disney is going down - they need to start releasing exciting "coming attractions".

As a Florida resident, I can attest that for the first time ever - friends and family that travel here (and are not Disney nuts like we are) - seem to have no interest in Disney. They will go if I can get them in for free. Otherwise, they would rather check out Universal, or even Sea World. I am seriously considering spending the money to those parks, because that is where my out-of-town guests want to go these days. Disney is now a "seen it, done it" place for many tourists. Any kind of exciting news will raise awareness and interest with the general public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom