DHS CARS LAND

Mawg

I agree, if they go by the greed is good adage then I don't see what's stopping them

Wouldn't they have to split merchandise profits with LucasFilms? If they opened a restaurant, would that have to spit profits for that too? If so, and as much as I would like to see a Star Wars land, wouldn't they be better off from a business stand point to stick with Disney/Pixar films where they keep all the profits.

Mawg

Disney should just buy LucasFilm...

Could you imagine if Disney bought LucasFilms and had the rights to the Star Wars movies? They would make 10 more Star Wars movies and ruin it even more than Lucas did with his prequels and remakes of the original 3. Hmm…But since Disney likes to kill off a lot of moms in movies and show the struggle of the kids afterwards, it might work for Star Wars.

M.rudolf

Wouldn't they have to split merchandise profits with LucasFilms? If they opened a restaurant, would that have to spit profits for that too? If so, and as much as I would like to see a Star Wars land, wouldn't they be better off from a business stand point to stick with Disney/Pixar films where they keep all the profits.
They definitely split profits, but they also split costs. From a business stand point I believe it's a viable option but of course it's always better to stay in house if possible. It also depends on the franchise. Example which franchise would be a better risk, tron or star wars, the variables would be cost, merchandise sales and overall brand value. In this case the predicted profits probably would be much higher for star wars. Now do the same thing with toy story, lion king, or cars and it could be a totally different outcome.

alissafalco

Yes and No. Im sure UNI has to give plenty of profit to JK Rowling, but look how well its helped them also.

M.rudolf

Could you imagine if Disney bought LucasFilms and had the rights to the Star Wars movies? They would make 10 more Star Wars movies and ruin it even more than Lucas did with his prequels and remakes of the original 3. Hmm…But since Disney likes to kill off a lot of moms in movies and show the struggle of the kids afterwards, it might work for Star Wars.
I don't think George is done with star wars yet he originally said it was a 9 part story based on his journal of whills. We will get the new television show next and I'd put money on it there will be another set of films. Too much money being left on the table. I'd say 15 years and we will see the return of the emperor

tomman710

Disney has to do something if they want to continue to stay on top.

Agreed and I think they should have given her what she wanted (at the very very least to keep her away from a competitor) but ... anyway ... no use talking about that now ...

... the only thing they have that can compete from a "this is the place I have always dreamed of visiting" realm (like Potter with Hogsmeade etc..) is Star Wars ... Carsland can compete in merch sales no doubt but I highly doubt there are Cars Conventions with devoted fans by the thousands all over the world that would spend fortunes to visit Tatooine, Hoth, Bespin, etc like Star Wars Nerds and even lesser fans would.

But ... that's not happening and TDO is missing a cash cow golden opportunity ... however if they greenlight a major overhaul at DHS (Carsland, Monsters, [pray of Indy], maybe some cosmetic work) then I'll forgive them, their limited imagination and lack of business acumen allows them only so much room to work.

M.rudolf

Disney has to do something if they want to continue to stay on top.
This is what I honestly don't get Disney basically turned Rowling down due to their experience with Lucas. Then they turn around and make a deal with Cameron. Don't get me wrong I know avatar is the highest grossing film right now, but it has no proven track record and the fact that universal wasn't interested in avatar doesn't help it either. Potter at this point had a solid track record and the franchise was beating expectations and increasing profit wise. I just dont see how they could let this go. And if rumor is true Rowling restructured her deal with universal so she could get a land out of the deal versus a single ride and shop

afar28

Demolition of LMA and parts of the Backlot tour for Carsland, gutting out Indiana Jones stunt spectacular for Indy ride, full Carsland, Monsters coaster, and Sounds Dangerous being converted to Jedi Training academy building. Anyone have an estimated cost? Just curious and it's gotta cost alot...

Cody5294

Screw the restaurant, give us the LPS ride! Immersive dark ride, ties into Pixar Place nicely, and it's even being built in Paris as we speak. Seems like an absolute no-brainer. They must have at least considered it.
If they built the ratatouille dark ride in DHS I will be a very happy camper! It would be the perfect dark ride that DHS needs and the restaurant could really help DHS dining options :)

PurpleRose

I don't think George is done with star wars yet he originally said it was a 9 part story based on his journal of whills. We will get the new television show next and I'd put money on it there will be another set of films. Too much money being left on the table. I'd say 15 years and we will see the return of the emperor

In a way, I hope your right. I'm a huge fan of the extended universe books that followed after Return of the Jedi. But in the same instances, I hope your wrong because if the next three don't follow the books that Lucas himself signed off on as cannon, I'll (and many others) will be highly upset

The Empress Lilly

Oh, I'm sure Cameron would be plenty happy to see his vision implemented in a Disney theme park. But Disney is undoubtedly balking at the cost.

We know that Cameron toured Universal and the Animal Kingdom, and I'm not sure the result was what Disney execs or Imagineers had hoped for. I can only imagine the conversations but I'm sure not all of them were pleasant.

Cameron: "So you're telling me it will cost X dollars to do what I've envisioned? Why is that? Universal appears to have done Y for Z cost."

WDW Exec: "Well, we have a much more thorough and in-house team of talent here. And we do things right. So it naturally costs a bit more."

Cameron: "The numbers you're showing me aren't a bit more. They're more like double and triple. My people are still scratching their heads over your cost projections. Tell me, why are you so bad at your job?"

WDW Exec: "Excuse me? Bad at my...what?! We are the market leaders. Have I shown you our attendance figures?"

Cameron: "Whatever. I've seen it for myself. It's costing you triple to do what Universal is doing and the result isn't even half as compelling. You suck at your job."

WDW Exec: "Our creativity is second to none! Joe Rhode, whom you will be working with closely, is a genius!"

Cameron: "A genius at what? Outrageous ear jewelery design? I wouldn't even hire that guy to do set decoration...and that seems to be his only real skill. His attractions - if you can find them in this vast acreage - are more boring than a 6 hour descent into the Marianas. Give me someone I can actually work with here, open up your wallet, or stop wasting my time."
Ouch!

I think that hit uncomfortably close to home!

M.rudolf

But this is just one business model - there is no requirement they go with any specific one.. that's why they *negotiate* contracts :)
Exactly that's why I said in a earlier post there are no probabilities only possibilites. Believe me neither side would sign a contract that wasn't beneficial to both sides.

M.rudolf

In a way, I hope your right. I'm a huge fan of the extended universe books that followed after Return of the Jedi. But in the same instances, I hope your wrong because if the next three don't follow the books that Lucas himself signed off on as cannon, I'll (and many others) will be highly upset
They won't follow any books they'll follow the original outline George wrote in 73/74

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom