DHS CARS LAND

LudwigVonDrake

Oh and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree needs better padding on the sides of the seats. My son got flung to the side and hit his head on the medal side, he said it really hurt but he's 4 and forgot quickly. Just a note if anyone from Disney does watch this board.

When something like that happens you should go straight to guest relations. A couple of fast passes might take some of the sting away :)

doctornick

So, to summarize the currently credible rumors...

1. Full Carsland is planned for DHS, taking over space currently occupied by LMA and the Backlot Tour.
2. Monsters Inc Door Coaster being planned to take over Soundstage 1 as has previously been considered

My thoughts/questions on this news...

Would Carsland be taking over all that space of the Backlot/LMA or might there be room for other attractions? I think that there could potentially be left some room for other attractions.

Would they expand Pixar Place as part of this to include the area around HISTK and the Studio Catering Co? I know we've all talked about how you could do a Bug's Life overlay on HISTK and how moving Pizza Planet to Pixar Place (and making it more faithful to the film in appearance) could easily work. If you are getting rid of the Backlot Tour, it would make some sense to do that conversion in the same timeframe.

Would Carsland be an exact copy or would they add some changes to make each version unique. I think it's obvious that Luigi's Tires would not be copied. Someone had suggested that you could do some different things like make the tire shop an Italian restaurant or make Sarge's Surplus hut an off roading ride. I think that would be a good idea, though it certainly would cost more in development and potentially take longer.

If there is other space available from the Backlot, would they consider other attractions now or just leave that for future expansion? As has been noted, DHS still would need more all ages rides (and you would be taking away two attractions that everyone can do in LMA and the Backlot). I wonder if something from It's a Bug's Land might be added (Flik's Fliers perhaps) or some other rides developed from Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, etc.

LithiumBill

So, to summarize the currently credible rumors...

1. Full Carsland is planned for DHS, taking over space currently occupied by LMA and the Backlot Tour.
2. Monsters Inc Door Coaster being planned to take over Soundstage 1 as has previously been considered

Great time to recap after 83 pages!

I wonder if a Ratatouille Restaurant would make sense in Pixar Place?

There was talk about a new Jedi Academy some time back, is this part of the DHS overhaul?

spacemt354

Chili's
Great time to recap after 83 pages!

I wonder if a Ratatouille Restaurant would make sense in Pixar Place?

There was talk about a new Jedi Academy some time back, is this part of the DHS overhaul?

I feel like Le Chef's de France in Epcot is basically a Ratatouille Restaurant. Remy comes around to the tables and it also serves french food. So I hope they don't have another restaurant with a similar style in an adjacent park. That would be kinda redundant, IMO.

Disneyfan_76

And a Beastly Kingdom in AK...Avatar, Star Wars Land, Radiator Springs, MI Coaster, Indy, Matterhorn...Add it all together and we might finally have a Potter Swatter.

I think all that disney needs for a "potter swatter" is wait a bit. Most of the kids have already moved on past the potter books and are onto hunger games or something else. While they did a fantastic job, I don't think the "land" will stand the test of time.

AEfx

I think all that disney needs for a "potter swatter" is wait a bit. Most of the kids have already moved on past the potter books and are onto hunger games or something else. While they did a fantastic job, I don't think the "land" will stand the test of time.

I completely disagree. They have already waited far too long - and since they never threw a real swat at Spiderman, they kind of are way behind already in inventive/impressive attractions in Florida.

I'm no Potter fan (I read the first few chapters of the first book and gave up in disgust because I really didn't like wimpy Harry - I was like - smack those idiots making you live under the stairs) and I'm a casual fan of the films (I own none, I still haven't seen the last two) so I'm not really biased towards the franchise.

That said, like most, I am wow'd and awed by WWOP. Even if you don't know anything about Potter, it's a masterful area. And it will be a long time before we ever get a ride that successful and immersive at WDW. I hope we do someday, but it will be a far, far bit in the future I am afraid.

While the franchise is important, it's not the be-all-end-all. Back when Star Tours was added, Star Wars was kind of in "remission" (no new product for years before and after), and it wasn't until the mid-90's that figures and merchandising really came back into full swing. There weren't even tie-in books to speak of until several years after it opened. I also don't think J.K. Rowling has left behind Potter as much as she would like to think, or would have people think - she has created an incredible world that has limitless possibilities of stories, I wouldn't be surprised if we see books about Harry's children or other characters before a great deal of time has passed, with Harry himself becoming an "Obi-wan"-type character.

That's the one argument that I can give people who are Pro-Avatar - that even though I don't think much of the "franchise" (it doesn't really exist yet beyond one film, and has largely already left the public consciousness) they still could make some awesome theme park attractions out of it. Thing is, since Disney doesn't really go that extra mile with attractions these days, if it should actually happen I have a feeling the "big ride" will be a pseudo-Soarin' clone (perhaps with a more immersive screen that goes below you as well) and a few practical visuals, a themed meet & greet, some stage show with video screens and 3-D, and some sad eatery trying to "tie in" with blue juice or some other silliness.

Truth be told, Cameron is kind of delusional if he thinks the next film will even approach the first one in terms of money - that film was a massive hit because 3-D was new and it was the first film to really use the technology to it's fullest extent. Thing is, even die-hard 3-D supporters who even just a year ago insisted that it was going to take over and every movie would be in 3-D is already admitting it's started it's regression back to a fad state as many of us always knew it would. That's the key difference between the two - and unless Disney really pulls out the stops, if they do follow through with Avatarland, I just don't see them actually doing more than making a feint wind in the direction of Universal, nothing near capable of swatting Potter as the best theme park attraction around. I mean, they never topped Spiderman, and it seems they are content to not top WWOHP unless they really start spending some big bucks NOW - on more than just fancy new fastpass systems and "virtual games".

SirLink

That is such a great joke, but no Potter has reached the zeitgeist it won't go away, plus lets remember the books still sell really good as well as the Pottermore site is being well received. And to be honest the more Disney waits to add to the parks the harder it will be compete with UNI ala a Transformers Thrasher, per park - for both guest spending and also mind share.

M.rudolf

I completely disagree. They have already waited far too long - and since they never threw a real swat at Spiderman, they kind of are way behind already in inventive/impressive attractions in Florida.

I'm no Potter fan (I read the first few chapters of the first book and gave up in disgust because I really didn't like wimpy Harry - I was like - smack those idiots making you live under the stairs) and I'm a casual fan of the films (I own none, I still haven't seen the last two) so I'm not really biased towards the franchise.

That said, like most, I am wow'd and awed by WWOP. Even if you don't know anything about Potter, it's a masterful area. And it will be a long time before we ever get a ride that successful and immersive at WDW. I hope we do someday, but it will be a far, far bit in the future I am afraid.

While the franchise is important, it's not the be-all-end-all. Back when Star Tours was added, Star Wars was kind of in "remission" (no new product for years before and after), and it wasn't until the mid-90's that figures and merchandising really came back into full swing. There weren't even tie-in books to speak of until several years after it opened. I also don't think J.K. Rowling has left behind Potter as much as she would like to think, or would have people think - she has created an incredible world that has limitless possibilities of stories, I wouldn't be surprised if we see books about Harry's children or other characters before a great deal of time has passed, with Harry himself becoming an "Obi-wan"-type character.

That's the one argument that I can give people who are Pro-Avatar - that even though I don't think much of the "franchise" (it doesn't really exist yet beyond one film, and has largely already left the public consciousness) they still could make some awesome theme park attractions out of it. Thing is, since Disney doesn't really go that extra mile with attractions these days, if it should actually happen I have a feeling the "big ride" will be a pseudo-Soarin' clone (perhaps with a more immersive screen that goes below you as well) and a few practical visuals, a themed meet & greet, some stage show with video screens and 3-D, and some sad eatery trying to "tie in" with blue juice or some other silliness.

Truth be told, Cameron is kind of delusional if he thinks the next film will even approach the first one in terms of money - that film was a massive hit because 3-D was new and it was the first film to really use the technology to it's fullest extent. Thing is, even die-hard 3-D supporters who even just a year ago insisted that it was going to take over and every movie would be in 3-D is already admitting it's started it's regression back to a fad state as many of us always knew it would. That's the key difference between the two - and unless Disney really pulls out the stops, if they do follow through with Avatarland, I just don't see them actually doing more than making a feint wind in the direction of Universal, nothing near capable of swatting Potter as the best theme park attraction around. I mean, they never topped Spiderman, and it seems they are content to not top WWOHP unless they really start spending some big bucks NOW - on more than just fancy new fastpass systems and "virtual games".
The only disagreement I have with this statement is that Cameron is delusional. Titanic was deemed a failure by many before it was released. Avatar also wasn't projected to do as well as it did. I would never bet against James Cameron, how many unsuccessful films has he had, 1 the abyss, and even that made its money back plus. Cameron has done the one thing most filmmakers only dream of make studio films with unlimited budgets and no studio interference. When avatar 2/3 is released it will make a huge amount of cash. This is from someone who thought the movie was only ok. The film will be marketed as the next step in 3d and filmmaking, the hook will be 60 frames per second and how that makes the images even more lifelike. When it's all said and done Cameron will make a ton of cash. I might not agree with avatar being built in animal kingdom, but I can understand the reasoning. That's if Cameron approves it in the next 20 years
I also think that with 3d regressing works in Cameron's favor. When you see one of his films the public is willing to pay extra going knowing that his 3d is truly better than average

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Before things run away...

There are potentially 2 areas in DHS PixarPlace that could potentially go green very soon

Other items are also being blue skied

This could also mean other items in the park being removed as part of a park wide sparkle-type initiative

But nothing is 100% so far as I know yet. The parks management have known for a good 4-5+ years it was in dire need of a cohesive makeover and a park-wide theme. Hopefully the competitions upping the ante by several thousand levels has finally started the battle we wanted and WDW so dearly needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom