DHS CARS LAND

RSoxNo1

I think it's safe to say that the current version of Luigi's won't come to Carsland. I would expect Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree to be included as DHS really doesn't have a B ticket ride. Personally, I love the idea of making Luigi's using the LPS ride system like Aquatopia and I've said as much multiple times on here.

If Carsland is coming, I would hope they would improve on the few shortcomings of the California version (mainly Luigi's), a direct lift is probably not appropriate.

Having said all that, I still would prefer unique attractions in DHS. Prior to the $1.2 billion investment, DCA, DHS and DAK were the three weakest parks. One of them received a major investment, and the other two are now lagging behind. DAK at least has the benefit of having a strong theme, it's just lacking attractions. DHS on the other hand is more of a mess thematically than DCA was in 2008.

Cosmic Commando

I have been to Disney Land.

I guess my point was completely missed. I am tired of repeating the same things over and over in this thread so I'll let it go.
If you like WDW better, that's fine. If you want Radiator Springs Racers, that's fine. But I think many people who only do one resort or the other would like splitting their time between both resorts, and maybe that would get them to take a "Disney" vacation more often. More money for Disney. Imagine if the only kind of ice cream at the store was chocolate. Chocolate ice cream is awesome, but sometimes you're just not in the mood for chocolate. If, all of a sudden, your store has rainbow sherbet and french vanilla, you'll probably end up buying ice cream more often overall. Disney should be leveraging both resorts nationwide, because they're both awesome. But the incentive to see both coasts is reduced every time there's a quick clone. So I just say clone, but clone wisely.

Cosmic Commando

I think it's safe to say that the current version of Luigi's won't come to Carsland. I would expect Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree to be included as DHS really doesn't have a B ticket ride. Personally, I love the idea of making Luigi's using the LPS ride system like Aquatopia and I've said as much multiple times on here.

If Carsland is coming, I would hope they would improve on the few shortcomings of the California version (mainly Luigi's), a direct lift is probably not appropriate.

Having said all that, I still would prefer unique attractions in DHS. Prior to the $1.2 billion investment, DCA, DHS and DAK were the three weakest parks. One of them received a major investment, and the other two are now lagging behind. DAK at least has the benefit of having a strong theme, it's just lacking attractions. DHS on the other hand is more of a mess thematically than DCA was in 2008.
I've heard you mention an LPS Luigi's often, but I don't really understand how it would work? Would you go past show scenes? Would you just float around on the table, seemingly at random?

I think the difference between DCA in 2008 and DHS in 2012 is that DCA 1.0 had a decent theme that was done terribly and DHS today has a terrible theme mishmash that is done relatively well. If you look at it in very simple terms, DCA looks a lot like it did in the early days: a seaside boardwalk amusement park, a redwood, evergreeny forest area, San Francisco area, a Hollywood area. They were all just done terribly, and filled with bad ideas. I was listening to a podcast today talking about Orange Stinger/Silly Symphony Swings and they made a pretty good point: they could have probably built Silly Symphony Swings as it stands today back in 2001 for as much or less money than it took to put up that stupid orange building around the swings. It was just a bad idea. Paradise Pier wasn't a flawed idea by itself, it's just that people didn't want stucco buildings with those stupid pun names and off-the-shelf rides at a Disney park. At DHS, I think people like the individual pieces that are there, even though they don't mesh well together or even make sense internally sometimes.

M.rudolf

I could afford to go to DLR, DL Paris or Tokyo if I wanted to. It's not about money. I choose to go to WDW. Why is it wrong for someone who only visits WDW to want something built that they most likely will not see very often if at all? You have stated in previous posts that you have never been to WDW so I dont understand why it would impact you if they built Carsland there. If they left it a blank lot or kept it as is or built something unique and different what does it matter if you dont visit anyway. I get the feeling that your point in all of this is you want Carsland to just exist in CA for bragging rights. In a WDW vs DLR debate you want to be able to throw out Carsland as a plus for DLR. You're entitled to that opinion, but you are failing to see the other side. Some of the people who WANT to just visit WDW and don't have any intention of visiting Carsland in CA on a regular basis and dont really care about the us vs them debates would enjoy having it in FL. If I don't see Carsland in CA anytime soon and they build it in FL it will be new and original for me. If Carsland was built in Tokyo first and then cloned in DCA would it be a big deal?
No it's not a big deal but maybe if all the resorts had certain attractions that were unique to each resort they could possibly draw you to them. Like say Carsland in DL and a incredibles or up land in DW. I have been to both resorts recently and Carsland really brought a unique experience that if not duplicated properly would be a let down. If DW cuts corners it would be a huge letdown.
I cant understand why anyone wouldn't want to visit Walt's park it is refreshing. I noticed so many things that are different than DW. It really is an eyeopener. To see the maintenence differences is worth the trip. To ride the original pirates and the Matterhorn were great experiences. One of the most amazing things thoughts is when I had the realization that Walt had at one walked thru this park. It is a great experience, one that I'm glad that my family shared together

RSoxNo1

I've heard you mention an LPS Luigi's often, but I don't really understand how it would work? Would you go past show scenes? Would you just float around on the table, seemingly at random?

I think the difference between DCA in 2008 and DHS in 2012 is that DCA 1.0 had a decent theme that was done terribly and DHS today has a terrible theme mishmash that is done relatively well. If you look at it in very simple terms, DCA looks a lot like it did in the early days: a seaside boardwalk amusement park, a redwood, evergreeny forest area, San Francisco area, a Hollywood area. They were all just done terribly, and filled with bad ideas. I was listening to a podcast today talking about Orange Stinger/Silly Symphony Swings and they made a pretty good point: they could have probably built Silly Symphony Swings as it stands today back in 2001 for as much or less money than it took to put up that stupid orange building around the swings. It was just a bad idea. Paradise Pier wasn't a flawed idea by itself, it's just that people didn't want stucco buildings with those stupid pun names and off-the-shelf rides at a Disney park. At DHS, I think people like the individual pieces that are there, even though they don't mesh well together or even make sense internally sometimes.
I would imagine it working like Aquatopia at Tokyo Disney Sea. The vehicles would move around on a "track", presumably with multiple iterations with several near collisions, spins, fast moments of acceleration, etc. The advantage of this is that the vehicles could be continuously loading as well.

As for the execution at Paradise Pier - I think Paradise Pier as it stands right now is a well done land. However, there are still some eyesores that should probably be removed in an "addition by subtraction" type approach. Jumping Jellyfish, Golden Zyphyr, and Goofy's Sky School lack charm, and I wish they would all go away.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see a new ride concept, designed so that it would in theory replace Lugi's when it's time to pull the plug.

Kuhio

I have a family of four with my 2 kids both being handicapped. We are making the drive from IL to CA this march. It's about a 3 day drive but totally worth it in my eyes. It's hard to fly with the kids but have been wanting to get back to DL for awhile. I guess if you want to go to DLR that bad, you'll find a way to get there.

Another benefit of driving -- especially to DLR -- is the fact that many driving trips to Southern California from other parts of the US pass through some of the most beautiful and worthwhile scenery in the country. There are landscapes in the Southwest and in California that are unmatched anywhere else. Plus, taking a multi-day road trip really lets you see people and communities that you might not otherwise have the chance to experience.

Enjoy your trip!

Kuhio

If you love WDW and you haven't been to Disneyland, you are missing out!

I totally agree. And I'd take that even a step further and say that if you love WDW and haven't been to any of the international parks, you're missing out.

WDW has been largely stale for the last couple of years and, with a few minor exceptions, will be so for the near future. Meanwhile, HKDL is in the midst of its most exciting expansion thus far (with an awesome -- and completely unique -- Hunny Hunt-type attraction coming next year), and a great-looking Ratatouille attraction is on its way to the DLP resort.

Yes, international travel is considerably more expensive than domestic travel. But a family that spends multiple weeks at WDW every year (especially staying onsite at a deluxe) could easily forego two visits and bank that money toward the cost of a slightly shorter trip to, say, Paris. And you'd not only have the benefit of seeing one of the most well-designed Magic Kingdom-type parks in the world, you'd also have the chance to actually visit Paris itself -- which has a good deal more to experience than Orlando.
th_smile.gif

What if WDW's Carsland was Radiator Springs during the time when Stanley was just setting up shop? (This will only make sense to people who have seen "Time Travel Mater"). I don't remember everything, but the Curios shop was probably one of the earliest buildings there and you could have a Stanley's food service location and that's it. It would be a logical reason why Radiator Springs isn't as built out as it is in California and would give the imagineers a chance to do something different. Give the ride vehicles 20's/30's body styles. Then, in the ride, you could time travel like Mater does to the present-day Radiator Springs so you could still use all of those characters.

Love this idea. I'd prefer not having RSR at DHS, but if they were to do it, this would be a great way to make the WDW version unique and interesting.

And I don't think the fact that many people won't have seen the short would make a difference. If it's the same characters that people are familiar with, and the attraction and theming are executed well, it will be popular regardless.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm still alive and kicking. I think the investigation thing may have been a cruel coincedence playing with my paranoia. Anyway right now it looks like the current plan is Backlot Tour and Cat. Canyon are going bye bye and we may see a full Carsland.

Good to see your concerns may have been for naught.

Thanks for the information.

RSoxNo1

I'm still alive and kicking. I think the investigation thing may have been a cruel coincedence playing with my paranoia. Anyway right now it looks like the current plan is Backlot Tour and Cat. Canyon are going bye bye and we may see a full Carsland.
Would LMA and the Streets of America stay in this scenario?

njDizFan

Wow...didnt expect that coming..

Though maybe just the RSR aspect coming east but that is good news

ChrisM

Would LMA and the Streets of America stay in this scenario?

I can't imagine LMA could remain if a full Carsland was coming. The configuration just wouldn't work for the Route 66 entry and the mountain backdrop.

I think the only thing that really works is if the Streets of America transition into Route 66 as the main entry.

Taylor

I'm glad you didn't get in troble. And also I imagine if it's a full land that means the monsters coaster won't be coming with it to Pixar Place?

Mawg

If the whole car's land is coming, I wish they would replace Luigi's Flying Tires with something else. It was neat to ride, but it doesn't handle the crowds well and a lot of people were having problems with the ride vehicle.

Mawg

If the whole car's land is coming, I wish they would replace Luigi's Flying Tires with something else. It was neat to ride, but it doesn't handle the crowds well and a lot of people were having problems with the ride vehicle.

Oh and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree needs better padding on the sides of the seats. My son got flung to the side and hit his head on the medal side, he said it really hurt but he's 4 and forgot quickly. Just a note if anyone from Disney does watch this board.

TikiTorch

I think LMA has more merit than BT, if I'm forced to pick just between those two. So if one stays and one goes, I'd prefer LMA stay and BT go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom