DHS CARS LAND

WDW1974

Again not speculation when our Spirited insiders know for sure that he wants to block it - and have been vocal about said issue.

I don't know that I'd use the word 'block' ... I would say when last I heard (and Disney theme parks are not my life and things move quickly, so I can miss something!) the way I would phrase it would be he was 'very unenthused' with the idea of Carsland being replicated ANYWHERE. And, yes, naturally he has vocalized that. ... It doesn't mean his mind can't be changed or that the concept can't evolve. You can do plenty with Cars that doesn't replicate what was done in DCA.

Why is this discussion still going on?

Oh yeah, WDW is boring as hell these days ... carry on ...

WDW1974

Some posters seem to think that Cars Land is the only way for Disney to compete with Potter but the truth is that the success of that land has little to do with Cars and everything to do with execution. If the company builds something of similar quality to Cars Land, people will come. Mind you, with Potter 2.0 and the additional rumored billion dollar cash infusion from Comcast, I don't think anything short of the entire collection of rides from Tokyo DisneySea will be able to top what will be coming online in the next 5 years at Uni.

Excellent point and exactly why NEXT GEN is a giant turd of an idea that is spending well over a billion dollars that could better be served by building things in the parks themselves ... ya know, like attractions?

WDW1974

This is totally off topic, but imagine if Comcast was successful in buying Disney when they tried. Would they be investing $1billion in Disney parks? Would Universal have gone bankrupt? Would Harry Potter be at DHS right now? I personally think we are better off having 2 major players that compete. They are forced to raise the bar to match each other and we as consumers benefit from both sides.

THREE major players.

SW is not small 'taters and they have billions in plans for their parks across the USA, not least of all in O-Town.

WDW1974

Not going to read through 60 pages of posts but I think an area, if not a "land", devoted to The Grid from TRON would be fantastic. Don't tell me about box office too, TRON was a cult classic and Legacy was a visual splendour.

With last year's ElecTRONica and the new DisneyXD TRON series out now, it proves that it has legs if not muscle. Make a dedicated land though with the use of neon and tech and have a RSR-style ride but based on a light cycle battle and you have a keeper. You can even have a Jedi Academy type attraction for kids (and adults) where you are suited up and have to battle one of CLU's bad guys. Toss in an inside roller coaster based on the sky battle and a TRON dance party at night like the End of Line club for the teens and cool parents...I'm there! :)

Problem is though, it would almost have to be an inside land though...can't do The Grid justice in daylight. That or you could have the outside facades like like Flynn's Arcade and the ENCOM HQ...and at night it transforms into The Grid with lights in the pavement and on the building exteriors.

TRON, like it or not, was an ORIGINAL Disney movie...and almost 30 years after it came out it spawned a sequel and a TV series...not bad. And there is so, so much more you could do with it since Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleiner, and even Jeff Bridges (maybe) all seem to be cool in reprising their parts in future movies or the series and games. And it will never go out of style, in my opinion.

OK, the thread has officially jumped the shark (you know the one at UNI that was pulled out of Amity to make way for Boy Wizards who need more space!) ... and I just realized I've been on here for the better part of an hour. Pooh! Can I get that hour back at the end?

El Grupo

But a "land" based on the Incredibles would seemingly be pretty unimpressive. What would the details be? A modern city with normal buildings no different than anywhere in this country. Don't get me wrong, I think that there is some potential for fantastic attractions based on the Incredibles, but I can't imagine much that would be there for theming an immersive land.

I think the idea of Monstropolis makes a lot of sense because there would be monsters and odd sized/shaped doors and buildings and strange cars and and signs with monster puns (like "gross-ery" for food). Even if there is nothing particularly iconic about Monstropolis visually, a distinct well themed area could work and be interesting. I don't see the same thing with The Incredibles. In fact, I'm not sure what other Pixar movie would work -- maybe a junk filled Wall-E world? Maybe Ratatouille?

Carsland works so well because there's a pretty well defined place with specific buildings that you can recreate. Even ignoring the merchandising aspect, that's probably a big reason that movie was chosen for an immersive land.

Not an original idea, since several have mentioned here before. But a portion of the jungle island, with a prominent mountain peak that holds Syndrome's lair, vehicles, command center, etc., could be the setting for an Incredibles land.

SirLink

I don't know that I'd use the word 'block' ... I would say when last I heard (and Disney theme parks are not my life and things move quickly, so I can miss something!) the way I would phrase it would be he was 'very unenthused' with the idea of Carsland being replicated ANYWHERE. And, yes, naturally he has vocalized that. ... It doesn't mean his mind can't be changed or that the concept can't evolve. You can do plenty with Cars that doesn't replicate what was done in DCA.

Why is this discussion still going on?

Oh yeah, WDW is boring as hell these days ... carry on ...

Sorry Spirit I think it was a little bit of my Uk Northerner coming out. I take your point about concepts evolving but that wouldn't that increase the price tag around a CarsLand to the point that certain people wouldn't even want it.

Longhairbear

Lasseter helped get the subs greenlit ... after that he took a back seat, but only for a bit. I don't know who you know or what they told you, but Lasseter got his hands dirty on the project and helped the budget balloon to absurd levels. I know this for a fact. ... Now, maybe at that particular time you had your dinner, he wasn't very involved (or involved down in Anaheim directly.) That's possible.
From what I remember, nothing was greenlit, it was only testing of ideas, and the one coming along next for testing was what the attraction is now. I believe we were told that if the last idea didn't work out for any reason, the subs would not have been brought back.

Disneybear

Excellent point and exactly why NEXT GEN is a giant turd of an idea that is spending well over a billion dollars that could better be served by building things in the parks themselves ... ya know, like attractions?

Question for WDW1974, but is spending this money on Next Gen seen as a long term way of saving / generating money by

1. With special fastpasses for resort guests during normal hours, there is no longer any need for Etra Magic Hours, How much would this save on wages/running costs?

2. Generating money by carrying out the rumoured additions/improvements to DTD, so that resort guests have somewhere to go with no EMH now?

I've no idea what the numbers would be or how long it could take to balance out, it was just a thought.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the subs are still quite popular and aren't going anywhere. I think Al was fed some info from his high up sources in an effort to gauge grassroots fan opinion. No more, no less.

I never subscribed to the theory they were legitimately on the chopping block.. but the reaction to it was a bit shocking to me. For all the defensiveness about the subs prior to their return.. there was virtually none this time around. Strengthens my belief in that if you want to get rid of something.. just make it worse, and people will switch to you side :) I can't believe that strategy wasn't fully executed with the treehouse...

As to it's popularity.. I find user trip reports to be the most telling... people may tell you how much they feel about some ride, but the proof is in the pudding as they say and when you talk to them about visits, you always see what they truly gravitate to.

I dunno if I'll ride them in two weeks. I rode them last fall and again in December, but skipped on my January visit. I don't feel they're a 'must' by any stretch.

TSMM is cheap. If you like screens and video games, then you'll likely enjoy it. Me? I think it's the second most overrated attraction at WDW (TT would be #1). It really isn't all that different from playing at home except you are in a moving vehicle, albeit one that stops when you play and basically just moves you from one screen to another.

I personally find it enjoyable. I think it is far beyond a home experience.. given the tactile guns, the scale, and the physical effects. But I can see how some would not like it - and I was mainly relaying the common complaints about the attraction.

heatherkatheleen

OK, just asking if any ty word is now acceptable here or if the mods are taking the weekend off (which is fine since it is Labor Day weekend!)?

But, seriously, bad words should disappear faster than the names of Disney consultants (again, just IMHO!) who advertise their work.

And new posters who want to be respected shouldn't come on and immediately use ty language when poohy language would work fine.

Had no clue that was offensive, it's not like I'm throwing f-bombs around every second word. Poohy, crappy, whichever way you slice it, it's a really bad situation for WDW in my personal opinion and at least I am passionate enough about the situation to have gotten 'intense' while posting and having used a more 'firm' word than I would have in a situation that lacked any substantial meaning to me. I, in all honesty, didn't think sh*tty (is that acceptable?) would be highly offensive to most people who understand and feel the same way about Lasseter's clear bias to DL as I do... Sometimes certain situations call for a different set of words. I'm sorry if you disagree with 'profane' language but I also believe freedom of speech is something where both I, and you live if I'm not mistaken.
Regardless, I am sorry to have offended you and anyone else who came across my post and saw a word they did not want to. Obviously my intention of being on this forum is to discuss, not to offend. However I also think this is a board full of conflicting opinions (clearly), whether the conversation is regarding napkins, a new attraction, or in this case, language. I think there is a better approach that could have been used on your part, as you clearly pointed out in your post that you are aware I am new to the forum. I know you're highly respected on these boards (I've read a handful of posts and often see people referring to you) so perhaps taking the situation a bit more lightly (clearly I am unaware of the unwritten rules of the forum, and it's not like I am swearing left right and center) and just letting me know that you recognized I'm a new user, and on the forum it is preferential that more intense language is substituted with something a little less harsh, or left out altogether would have been a bit more... respectable? I think it's a more understanding way of transporting the exact same message, rather than intentionally making me feel like 'poo' right off the bat.

Regardless, sorry. I obviously won't do it again considering I was previously oblivious to the fact that that was considered offensive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
His responsibilities and care will always be: Pixar, WDFA and WDI ... in that order. And that is as it should be.
He's an amazing creative talent ... at filmmaking. ... Some of those skills translate to theme parks (remember all of DL's creators came from the Studios), but not all and not UNIversally!

I think the bolded part sums it up.. and needs repeating every time 'John the second coming..' comes up. As an observation tho.. even tho Walt pillaged the studio for all his initial WED help.. notice he took mostly the 'implementers' .. scene designers.. painters.. etc.. and less producers, directors, etc. He took those with the practical knowledge of 'getting things done' and understanding the tools of the trade. Where Lassetter is a storyteller and producer. While he's not a 'corner office only' type of guy.. I find his background not as compelling to theme park design compared to the mindset Walt originally assembled.

heatherkatheleen

When I worked at Disney, I had a friend tell me that the soundstage was just going to be a queue space, which sounds much more believable. The Backlot Tour would probably close and the coaster would go in some of that space. Either that or it would be a rather small/short coaster. I've been in that room many times and it's not very big at all when thinking about a roller coaster. Maybe if they worked it like Space Mountain, but it's not tall enough for that.

That's partially because it's the only interesting ride for families of all ages in the park. Kids don't really care about BLT or GMR and ST has a height requirement, I believe. Am I missing any other actual rides? So, yeah, the only real appealing family ride in what is supposed to be a theme park at a resort marketed towards families should have a long wait. It's popular by default.

I think it's a great ride, but I don't think the wait would be as long if we had three or four more family rides of good quality in the park. I'm kind of hoping they're looking at TLM space too since it's an older show now. It's a great location for a Tangled show, just saying.
It would be awesome if there was some sort of Tangled attraction/show somewhere (I LOVE that film) but statistically speaking, did the film do very well? I remember seeing an interview with Lasseter somewhere (I think it was a D23 video) where he cited the film being so new as a reason for it not having an attraction (yet). Does anyone know/have any thoughts as to why Tangled does not play a bigger part in the new FLE?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It would be awesome if there was some sort of Tangled attraction/show somewhere (I LOVE that film) but statistically speaking, did the film do very well? I remember seeing an interview with Lasseter somewhere (I think it was a D23 video) where he cited the film being so new as a reason for it not having an attraction (yet). Does anyone know/have any thoughts as to why Tangled does not play a bigger part in the new FLE?
It is rumored that the new FL bathrooms where the skyway station was next to Small World will have a tangled theme (not kidding).

DABIGCHEEZ

Didn't read all 62 pages and may have posted in the thread already. In regards to RSR... I would love some originality in Florida. Quit with the same attractions on both coasts.

heatherkatheleen

It is rumored that the new FL bathrooms where the skyway station was next to Small World will have a tangled theme (not kidding).
I remember hearing that... In all honestly I don't think it's completely ridiculous. I mean, it's not like there'll be moving animatronics in the bathrooms (that would be ridiculous). I heard someone suggest that the girls one will just have paintings like Rapunzel's from the film on the walls, and the boys will be like the Snuggly Duckling pub. However, I really do think the film is deserving of an attraction, not just a restroom-- it has all the heart that the classic Disney films did which is why I think I loved it so much.. It reminded me of how I felt seeing the classic Disney movies for the first time as a small child.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
After 62 pages let me try to summarize what I think is going on. The original poster stated that Carsland would be taking the place of LMA. He then took the post down because management launched an internal investigation into who leaked the information. Various other reliable sources think that something is definitely coming to DHS but nothing is set in stone. It may be a full Carsland or just RSR and a gift shop or something completely different. Nobody knows for sure. There is some speculation that Lassiter is against moving any part of Cars Land to DHS and he may block it from being built. The general consensus seems to be that we as fans would prefer something original, but will take anything new we can get at this point even if it's cloned from DCA. The bottom line is that something new is probably coming to DHS and it has a reasonable chance that it will be something from Carsland in DCA. Did I miss anything important?

Denscott

OK, the thread has officially jumped the shark (you know the one at UNI that was pulled out of Amity to make way for Boy Wizards who need more space!) ... and I just realized I've been on here for the better part of an hour. Pooh! Can I get that hour back at the end?

So I can take that as a big "hell no" to my late night idea? :)

FrankLapidus

However, I really do think the film is deserving of an attraction, not just a restroom-- it has all the heart that the classic Disney films did which is why I think I loved it so much.. It reminded me of how I felt seeing the classic Disney movies for the first time as a small child.

They should have built one in the building vacated by Snow White's Scary Adventures rather than another meet-and-greet.

Denscott

BTW, just got back from my first trip to Disneyland yesterday and gotta say, RSR is amazing and the entire Carsland is awesome to behold in person. To just pluck it up and plop it down in central Florida would not make sense...the whole theming is based on Route 66 and just screams California and the West. It's not like you can just replace the R66 signs with I75 signs. WDW needs to have something original, keep Carsland in SoCal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom