DHS CARS LAND

Rasvar

I really would not mind a RSR type attraction. I just really don't want another clone or what might be what happened to ToT when it was put in DCA as a lesser version. I have no problem with another attraction that uses the TT/RSR vehicle system. I'm heading to DCA to see Cars Land in a couple of weeks. So maybe I can get a better feel for it. One thing I can assure you is that there is no way they are going to do another Luigi's Flying Tires/Flying Saucers.

alissafalco

I know I'm waaaaay out on a limb with this opinion, but as awesome as the mountain range is, the core of the ride takes place indoors. If they did a mostly-indoors version of the ride in DHS, that would be OK with me, even without the mountain range.

Would it be as AWESOME as DCA's version? Heck no.
Would it satisfy the masses? Um, yes. "They're tourists. What do THEY know?"

Personally, I'd be unsatisfied. But I do travel to CA every year or two, so my soul wouldn't rend or anything.

I'd be really upset, it's the cheap way out. Go big or go home!

misterID

I'll happily take clones of Mysterious Island (granted, the BK hybrid version) and Mystic Manor. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

Heck, I'd like to see UNI clone some of their Asian park rides. Like Space Fantasy. It would work great with a MIB overlay.

spacemt354

Chili's
More than half of WDW's new attractions in the last twenty years were built at DLR or another park first

In the last 20 years:

Original:

Mickey's Philarmagic, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape, Alien Encounter, Kali River Rapids, Its Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, Kilaminjaro's Safari, The Seas with Nemo, Finding Nemo the Muscial, Festival of the Lion King, Dinorama, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Sum of all Thrills, Test Track, American Idol, Disney Junior Live on Stage, Mission:Space, Expedition Everest (matterhorn isn't the same attraction, just a similar mountain)

Copies/Duplications:

TSMM, TLM, Soarin', Lights Motors Action, Splash Mountain, Turtle Talk, RSR (possible)

Forgive me if I don't remember more duplicates, but that's all I could think of. Nevertheless it's a lot less than half.

Beholder

Such a shame that DHS has become one big mess. The whole movie studio thing has really messed up the original purpose for this park in the first place. A place for movie/media based attractions? I guess, but MK is full of movie based attractions, EPCOT has Nemo and the Kim Possible/Fineas and Ferb thing, AK has Dinosuar, Tough to Be A Bug, Lion King, and another Nemo, maybe even Avatar. I'm sure I've left some off this list, but thats the problem. DHS isn't THAT unique, and it's because it's original design intent is gone. I realize TDO/Burbank whoever doesn't care about thematic cohesiveness, but I do. I'm sure others do also. So while RSR will be great (I guess) for the attendance/crowd issues, it does nothing to fix it's identity problem.

Maybe in the end, it doesn't matter. But it does matter to me.

MUTZIE77

In the last 20 years:

Original:

Mickey's Philarmagic, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape, Alien Encounter, Kali River Rapids, Its Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, Kilaminjaro's Safari, The Seas with Nemo, Finding Nemo the Muscial, Festival of the Lion King, Dinorama, Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Sum of all Thrills, Test Track, American Idol, Disney Junior Live on Stage, Mission:Space, Expedition Everest (matterhorn isn't the same attraction, just a similar mountain)

Copies/Duplications:

TSMM, TLM, Soarin', Lights Motors Action, Splash Mountain, Turtle Talk, RSR (possible)

Forgive me if I don't remember more duplicates, but that's all I could think of. Nevertheless it's a lot less than half.

Thanks for clearing that up

Rose Marie

In the last 20 years:

Original:

Mickey's Philarmagic, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape, Alien Encounter, Kali River Rapids, Its Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, Kilaminjaro's Safari, The Seas with Nemo, Finding Nemo the Muscial, Festival of the Lion King, Dinorama, Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Sum of all Thrills, Test Track, American Idol, Disney Junior Live on Stage, Mission:Space, Expedition Everest (matterhorn isn't the same attraction, just a similar mountain)

Duplicates:

TSMM, TLM, Soarin', Lights Motors Action, Splash Mountain, RSR (possible)

Your list is technically correct because you just specified attractions, but have you looked at your list? Many of these are subpar and cheap attractions/shows that WDW can keep. o_O Plus, Stitch is just a retheme of Alien Encounter, Dinosaur is a retheme of Indy, and Sum of all Thrills is a tech demo that was never marketed as a standalone attraction, just as a feature in Innovations.

LudwigVonDrake

If they put the Monsters Inc. coaster next to Toy Story and put RSR in the backlot tour well Pixar Place is going to be more of a madhouse than it is right now with one ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks for clearing that up

Thanks and I wasn't doing that to call you out or anything. It was more to clear it up for myself as well, because I wanted to see the breakdown of original wdw rides and duplications.

It kinda solidifies my opinion to bring carsland to DHS even more now. Because with TLM being brought to the Magic Kingdom, I was wondering hmm, maybe they are duplicating too much. But now that I see it in perspective of 20 years, I see that the originality far outways the simple piggyback of one coast. If fact, a lot of the original wdw rides are now in other disney parks around the world, so the sharing of ideas and attractions goes both ways. And again I think the future of wdw is looking very promising.

MUTZIE77

Such a shame that DHS has become one big mess. The whole movie studio thing has really messed up the original purpose for this park in the first place. A place for movie/media based attractions? I guess, but MK is full of movie based attractions, EPCOT has Nemo and the Kim Possible/Fineas and Ferb thing, AK has Dinosuar, Tough to Be A Bug, Lion King, and another Nemo, maybe even Avatar. I'm sure I've left some off this list, but thats the problem. DHS isn't THAT unique, and it's because it's original design intent is gone. I realize TDO/Burbank whoever doesn't care about thematic cohesiveness, but I do. I'm sure others do also. So while RSR will be great (I guess) for the attendance/crowd issues, it does nothing to fix it's identity problem.

Maybe in the end, it doesn't matter. But it does matter to me.

I feel the same way. when Pixar Place was built it opened the door to any attraction they wanted to build there. Before that nearly all attractions had something to do with Hollywood and making movies or music. When TSMM was built the backstory was very stretched to try to make it fit.

Californian Elitist

Rt 66 travels through half the country and while it's not explicit where exactly the town is located, it's indicated that it's not in California (e.g. it's stated that Lightning needs to go "to California" for the race which you wouldn't say if they were already in the state). And using California's car culture as a rationale for Carslands seem like a pretty backdoor post facto justification.

Rephrased: "Cars being a movie" as justification for the ride being in DHS is just as reasonable as anything that would justify it being in DCA.

Incidentally, are there mermaids in California? Monsters who collect screams for energy? Did Goofy give flying lessons there? There's always attractions that are stretching themes to get them to fit it; it's not a big deal.

I know Route 66 isn't only in California. It's not like I'm not making or coming up with these reasons as to why Cars Land fits the California theme. There are articles in which it states the Imagineers came up with what was supposed to be Carland, in which there was going to be a street called "Cruise Street", which could "represent the influence of the automobile and its passions in California and with Californians". This is a direct quote from Kevin Rafferty. The car culture has every bit of significance in Cars Land and its concept.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/21/news/la-trb-carland-cars-land-disney-10201121

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/08/disney-twenty-three-web-extra-a-look-at-carland/

Skip to 8:50

I refuse to compare Mermaid, Monster's and Goofy with the entire land of Cars Land, but I will say that Mermaid takes place in the sea and it's in Paradise Pier, which has a sea-type theme.

BryceM

Maybe we'll just get a watered down version of the real Cars Land.

Like how DCA got a watered down version of the true Hollywood Tower Hotel...

juan

No offense but I hear all this clamoring about clones and we forget when DCA needed help and DL too, many WDW rides were sent there. This is nearly payback...other than RSR I cannot think of one ride or attraction in recent years that went from DL to WDW (other than simultaneously planned ones like TSM and LM).

Recent clones from DLR:
-Soarin
-TSMM - while built simultaneously, the ride was designed for DCA. The cream, red, orange, and blue color scheme was designed for the DCA boardwalk - it doesn't fit DHS.
-LM - while also simultaneous, the ride was designed for DCA. Notice the huge diagonal portion in the southwest corner at WDW. The building was modified so the DCA rotunda would fit. It was adapted to fit FLE.
-Art of Animation activities - the screens, voice changers, animation academy
-Seas with Nemo could be partially argued to be a partial-clone of the Nemo subs (a lot of the animation work and design -ie $$$ - was designed for DLR first)
-Dinosaur - same ride system and exactly same track layout as Indy at DLR
-Tiki Room revamp - audio taken from updated DLR version

Recent clones from other parks:
-LMA from DLRP
-7DMT from Shanghai (while opening first in WDW, the engineering and design bill was footed by Shanghai)

Turtle

I see a lot of people here saying that Disney would probably only bring RSR.
Why would they do that? Aren't the shops and restaurants what bring in the money? Especially since it's Cars we're talking about. A LOT of merchandise. and isn't the town itself a lot cheaper to build than RSR + rockwork?
I think this would all be part of a Pixar Place expansion with another ride from another franchise. I think we'd get RSR and the curios shop at the exit dock, if we're luck we can get Flo's V8 Café also! ^.^

spacemt354

Chili's
Your list is technically correct because you just specified attractions, but have you looked at your list? Many of these are subpar and cheap attractions/shows that WDW can keep. o_O Plus, Stitch is just a retheme of Alien Encounter, Dinosaur is a retheme of Indy, and Sum of all Thrills is a tech demo that was never marketed as a standalone attraction, just as a feature in Innovations.

Anyone who has seen Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo knows that those are not "cheap" shows.

Saying Dinosaur is a retheme of Indy is like saying RSR is a retheme of Test Track, a statement that would make people cringe on this site. While it uses the same type of ride system, it is a completely different and original attraction.

And if Sum of all Thrils is "just" a demo in Innoventions, the entire concept of Innoventions was taken from Epcot by DL in 1998. So it stays on the list.

You personally might not like the attractions themselves, but that was not the question. I was simply dividing original wdw attractions from duplicated wdw attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom