DHS CARS LAND

TP2000

I have to agree. I was there last week and i enjoyed the racing part of RSR way more than TT 2.0. While it was physically slower it seemed just as fast with all of the rock work and turns you went through. I no longer would see this as opposition to TT 2.0. Put it in at DHS!

Yeah, and the two ride systems are in separate parks even. Kind of like Pirates and Maelstrom on the same property, Small World and Gran Fiesta Tour, Mansion and Mermaid (right next to each other!), Big Thunder and Everest, HoP and American Adventure, Tiki Room and Bear Jamboree, Bugs and Philharmagic and MuppetVision and EO, etc., etc.

Where I think the problem is with Test Track and RSR is that at Test Track the ride is based heavily on the ride system, especially at the "thrill" finale'. It's all about "Look how fast your experimental Chevrolet can go!" instead of elaborate storytelling. Test Track riders are really asked to focus on the vehicle they are in and the ride system itself. I can't think of another Disney attraction where the storyline asks riders to focus on the ride vehicle over and over again, instead of just having the vehicle be one of many tools used on a ride to express a story.

That could make Racers in DHS tougher to do, because people will naturally associate that system with Test Track over at Epcot.

But honestly, DHS is desperate for new rides. Cars Land is the biggest hit Disney theme parks have had since Indiana Jones Adventure in '95 or Tower of Terror in '94. If you were a dweeby TDO executive who spends way too much time in the office and is out of touch with the actual theme park operation, why wouldn't you want to clone Cars Land for WDW?

jt04

Yeah, and the two ride systems are in separate parks even. Kind of like Pirates and Maelstrom on the same property, Small World and Gran Fiesta Tour, Mansion and Mermaid (right next to each other!), Big Thunder and Everest, HoP and American Adventure, Tiki Room and Bear Jamboree, Bugs and Philharmagic and MuppetVision and EO, etc., etc.

Where I think the problem is with Test Track and RSR is that at Test Track the ride is based heavily on the ride system, especially at the "thrill" finale'. It's all about "Look how fast your experimental Chevrolet can go!" instead of elaborate storytelling. Test Track riders are really asked to focus on the vehicle they are in and the ride system itself. I can't think of another Disney attraction where the storyline asks riders to focus on the ride vehicle over and over again, instead of just having the vehicle be one of many tools used on a ride to express a story.

That could make Racers in DHS tougher to do, because people will naturally associate that system with Test Track over at Epcot.

But honestly, DHS is desperate for new rides. Cars Land is the biggest hit Disney theme parks have had since Indiana Jones Adventure in '95 or Tower of Terror in '94. If you were a dweeby TDO executive who spends way too much time in the office and is out of touch with the actual theme park operation, why wouldn't you want to clone Cars Land for WDW?

Because you want to attract guests with unique attractions. And you do not want to build an attraction that will sink in a swamp and cause you to get fired.

~Star Wars~

yeti

Would I love for an expanded "Old California" section of the park to go in there, with a Winchester Mystery House type dark ride based on Mystic Manor's ride system from Hong Kong? Of course! But that's not the way things go with Disney's American parks in the 21st century. They are tied to popular movie franchises, and since Disney Studios can't seem to make a movie success, that task rests solely on the hit-makers at Pixar.

THIS is the problem exactly: the homogeneity with whatever's brand-worthy. For me, Universal should be the one and only "movie" park, god knows they're good at it. Disney's following their trail instead of being the trailblazers they once were. That's about the only macro-criticism I can make about the company as a whole, as opposed to just saying "Disney=TDO". They are capable of state-of-the-art stuff, yet they're missing out on a value that could get them back in the game in Orlando and keep them relevant everywhere else.

Make it good and the world will watch. I'm pretty confident about that.

TP2000

Because you want to attract guests with unique attractions. And you do not want to build an attraction that will sink in a swamp and cause you to get fired.

~Star Wars~

Except whatever gets built in DHS Star Wars Land will also be built in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, and likely Tokyo's Tomorrowland too. A triple clone, and with the way construction schedules go in that swamp the Star Wars rides will open first in Anaheim and Tokyo.

But then there's always Avatarland! That's a TDO exclusive! :D

FutureWorld1982

Haha, lets hope it stays that way!

I still don't get the hate for something we know almost nothing about. I will hold my judgment until I actually see the plans.

Also, regarding Star Wars Land, will it not be BIGGER here in Florida? I mean, if they take away the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular and some of the surrounding buildings, it should be something massive. There is now way that Disneyland could have that much space.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I still don't get the hate for something we know almost nothing about. I will hold my judgment until I actually see the plans.

Avatar came out HOW long ago now? I saw it once and was "meh" about it. I don't think it belongs in Disney. I *MIGHT* change my opinion once I see some actual, reliable information on it but for right now I could care less about it and wish they would devote more $$ to something else.

twebber55

Also, regarding Star Wars Land, will it not be BIGGER here in Florida? I mean, if they take away the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular and some of the surrounding buildings, it should be something massive. There is now way that Disneyland could have that much space.
Agree..never understood people prejudging something before we know what it is...Cars two was just OK but that certainly hasnt hurt carslands success

Ignohippo

I'm for anything that adds quality attractions to DHS - and CarsLand is certainly a quality attraction. Besides, with two boys, it doesn't get much more essential than Cars.

As for Star Wars Land, I'm a HUGE SW buff, so I can't wait. DHS needs more then just SW though (no matter how big the land is).

I know from a business perspective a SW land will bring people in by the droves, but DHS still needs to add more to the Pixar side as well. It won't do any good to have half of the park absolutely amazing with SW if the rest of the park is just ho-hum. There's too much potential there to leave it untapped in a park that's sorely hurting for more to do.

WDWDad13

questions - is Star Wars are huge for smaller boys/kids as it is for the more adult crowd? This is the only thing I question if they ONLY do Star Wars in DHS

danlb_2000

Premium Member
questions - is Star Wars are huge for smaller boys/kids as it is for the more adult crowd? This is the only thing I question if they ONLY do Star Wars in DHS

I don't have any solid evidence to support this, but I believe it still has major appeal for young kids, boys and girls. Clone Wars as well the Lego specials are aimed at a younger crowd and have done quite well. I often see young kids walking around in Star Wars clothing and holding Star Wars Toys.

Californian Elitist

Just because I don't want to see an Avatar presence in Anaheim doesn't mean I hate the thought of AVATAR Land. I don't. I just don't want Disney thinking Avatar could go in either California Adventure or Disneyland. Not to mention I'm not a fan at all of clones.

In regards to Disneyland's space, there is space available for new attractions, not to mention taking out Innoventions alone would free up a ton of space.

FutureWorld1982

I just don't want Disney thinking Avatar could go in either California Adventure or Disneyland. Not to mention I'm not a fan at all of clones.

In regards to Disneyland's space, there is space available for new attractions, not to mention taking out Innoventions alone would free up a ton of space.

I am with you in regards to clones (for example, I love Cars Land, but I would like to see something different for WDW. Cars Land is the staple of DCA, so cloning it wouldn't be good), but I thought Animal Kingdom was going to be just the first of all the Disney Resorts to receive AVATAR Land. So, something related to AVATAR may be in the works for the Disneyland California Resort (unless they gave up on that).

Also, I forgot how big Innoventions is. Would they have to move the Disneyland Railroad to expand Tomorrowland, though? What else can they take out beside Innoventions and Captain EO (which is housed in a slightly smaller theater at DL)?

Bairstow

Cars Land
Avatar came out HOW long ago now? I saw it once and was "meh" about it. I don't think it belongs in Disney. I *MIGHT* change my opinion once I see some actual, reliable information on it but for right now I could care less about it and wish they would devote more $$ to something else.

Just remember that bad movies don't necessarily translate to bad themed areas, and vice versa.

Also, keep in mind that if there's three things Imagineering has proven they can do well, it's simple, futuristic-looking buildings, tropical horticulture, and large-scale animatronics.
An Avatar land would play to their strengths.

FrankLapidus

Cars Land
Also, keep in mind that if there's three things Imagineering has proven they can do well, it's simple, futuristic-looking buildings, tropical horticulture, and large-scale animatronics.
An Avatar land would play to their strengths.

If that were the case, wouldn't Disneyland and WDW's Tomorrowland be in a far better state than they actually are? I've no doubt that if the Imagineers were left to their own creative devices they could come up with something amazing but if they want to build futuristic-looking buildings then the lands of tomorrow would be an ideal place to do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom