DHS CARS LAND

tirian

I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone could ride TT and RST on the same day, and not think RSR is 1000000 times better ride. "Wow, Radiator Springs was great! What was that other ride again?" I'll never understand why they are ever even in the same sentence, since the "same ride system" thing could apply to all kinds of rides that are practically next to each other.

I prefer the new Test Track. (Now I'll go hide.)

tirian

I still want a Tron attraction. The first movie is pure cheese and its sequel is mindless, but it's a great universe for a ride.

Hey, so is the door chase sequence in Monsters, Inc.

I'm so glad we got a fancy meet-n-greet with Belle!

Well, Marvel is not coming to WDW, so....

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a land called "Pixar Place" to have more than 1 ride and more than 1 franchise represented. They don't have to build a full fledged Cars Land to add a few more rides and different IPs to flesh out Pixar Place and help out the back end of the park.

Personally, I think it would make sense to put Monstropolis in DHS (could easily work as a repurposed SOA) and make it Florida exclusive, so that each coast gets a unique Pixar area.

doctornick

I prefer the new Test Track. (Now I'll go hide.)

I liked WoM, but I think people are too quick to slam/dismiss TT. It's a great ride and -- unlike other changes to FW -- fits in great with the traditional theme of Epcot. I actually think the shift from WoM (very similar in style to most other FW experiences) to TT was a good idea, but it gets lumped unfortunately with other changed in FW that were significant downgrades (Horizons to M:S, Imagination changing for the worse, adding Ellen to UoE, etc).

I'm not saying that TT is "better" than WoM necessarily but I think it was a reasonable change to "update" the transportation concept in Epcot.

tirian

I'm comparing it to RSR. The Cars (and Planes/Trains?) world just doesn't do anything for me.

I liked WoM, but I think people are too quick to slam/dismiss TT. It's a great ride and -- unlike other changes to FW -- fits in great with the traditional theme of Epcot. I actually think the shift from WoM (very similar in style to most other FW experiences) to TT was a good idea, but it gets lumped unfortunately with other changed in FW that were significant downgrades (Horizons to M:S, Imagination changing for the worse, adding Ellen to UoE, etc).

I'm not saying that TT is "better" than WoM necessarily but I think it was a reasonable change to "update" the transportation concept in Epcot.

novawildcat18

As a thrill ride, Test Track wins. As an enhanced dark ride Radiator Springs Racers wins.

Depending on which crowd you are shooting to reach, it is a toss up.
To be honest, I feel like some of the thrill of Test Track was removed with the new overlay. Although it's about 20 MPH slower, RSR still felt pretty fast and thrilling. And I'm right in the target demographic to prefer thrill over dark rides but RSR wins by a landslide in my book.

The Empress Lilly

It was mentioned earlier that little boys who like Cars get beat up at school, while the same thing doesn't happen to little boys who like Star Wars, hence the "getting beat up" comment.
ooww, 'tis just a boy's manner of speech! As in, the boys who like the other team are wimp weaklings etc etc

TP2000

To be honest, I feel like some of the thrill of Test Track was removed with the new overlay. Although it's about 20 MPH slower, RSR still felt pretty fast and thrilling. And I'm right in the target demographic to prefer thrill over dark rides but RSR wins by a landslide in my book.

I would agree. I haven't been on Test Track 2.0 yet, but have been on Test Track 1.0 multiple times since 1999, and the outdoor finale' at Racers feels more "thrilling" to me than the outdoor finale' at Test Track. I think it's because Test Track is basically just a straight shot out and back and a long banked curve, but Racers is side-by-side thru camel humps and around rock formations and down into caverns and stuff. It's that combo of close-in rockwork and far-away desert scenery as you race right next to another car that makes Racers so fun and thrilling, in my opinion. Once you take off and barely miss the sliding doors at Test Track's finale', it's really just a high speed out and back over a parking lot.

the-radiator-springs-racers-are-just-starting-up-for-the-day-620x370.jpg

7452642174_00506e1fe8_z.jpg

Last edited:

doctornick

Does DHS REALLY need another thrill ride??? When I think of the things DHS lacks, thrill rides do not come to mind. Pretty much everything else a theme park needs comes to mind.

I don't think DHS needs thrill rides per se, but....

1. it needs more rides in general, and having some thrill rides among that number would be welcome. It does need all ages/family friendly rides more than thrill rides though
2. RSR really isn't a thrill ride to any degree. So, that certainly wouldn't be a reason to not add RSR (or a justification to need it).

The Empress Lilly

I would agree. I haven't been on Test Track 2.0 yet, but have been on Test Track 1.0 multiple times since 1999, and the outdoor finale' at Racers feels more "thrilling" to me than the outdoor finale' at Test Track. I think it's because Test Track is basically just a straight shot out and back and a long banked curve, but Racers is side-by-side thru camel humps and around rock formations and down into caverns and stuff. It's that combo of close-in rockwork and far-away desert scenery as you race right next to another car that makes Racers so fun and thrilling, in my opinion. Once you take off and barely miss the sliding doors at Test Track's finale', it's really just a high speed out and back over a parking lot.
Yes, yes. I think your right on the money here. TT feels like just a showcase of a new ride system. But you need to do something with your technology. Tech is a tool, not an end in itself.

It seems that the designers were so pleased with their fancy, state-of-the-art TT ride sytem, that they forgot to make it part of a larger experience. Instead, the finale of the ride is an exhibition of the ride sytem. Which gave rise to the perennial critique of TT that you drive your car with 55mph to a theme park only to be sat in a car driving 65 mph. What's the point?

RSR applies the tech, makes it subordinate to the ride. A chase through the rocky southwest, past banked curves and tunnels...now that is exciting!

Last edited:

Skibum1970

I really enjoyed RSR but didn't particularly find it to be thrilling. Fun, definitely, from start to finish. I've not ridden TT 2.0 but I thought that the high-speed section was more thrilling. A little more speed is always acceptable. RSR's finish is certainly much more picturesque and it's for the best that it's a little slower. Still, more speed would have given the hump some airtime but that wasn't what they were shooting for.

As others have said, I'll take anything. I'd love for a Star Wars land to be created and it not to take five years to do so. A speeder bike coaster or awesome dark ride is awesome. After seeing Mystic Manor's video, I am really wishing that Disney could bring something that awesome to Florida. If they decide on Cars, they should rethink the layout. Maybe choose some other area to focus on. "Touring" the area is great and the dark ride section equally so.

Bairstow

Test Track has some indoor thrill elements as well, what with the two initial acceleration/braking elements and the uphill winding "handling" test.
All three of these were toned down during the refurb, or else the darkened interior makes them feel less intense, but I do think it's important to realize that not just the high-speed finale of the attraction could be considered "thrilling."

JCtheparrothead

I have to agree. I was there last week and i enjoyed the racing part of RSR way more than TT 2.0. While it was physically slower it seemed just as fast with all of the rock work and turns you went through. I no longer would see this as opposition to TT 2.0. Put it in at DHS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom