DHS CARS LAND

TP2000

I would swear I've seen pictures of huge holes smashed into one of the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals.

They should still be underneath the current overlays, but they're likely not in good shape. Here's the southern mural at Adventure Thru Inner Space, around 1986 when that ride was being turned into Star Tours for 1987.
mural-destruction.jpg

The northern mural at CircleVision got the same treatment in 1997 when it was becoming the Rocket Rods. Very sad.

TP2000

DCA WILL have an identity crisis again when they park Monstropolis there instead of putting it where it should be: DHS.

How so? That area at DCA already has a Monsters Inc. dark ride, wedged next to an abandoned food court and MuppetVision 3D, with random "Studio Backlot" signage placed on the giant stucco warehouses and some hip n' edgy 2001 snack bars at the entrance. And just for fun, at 6PM each evening that area becomes a Liquorland Dance Party.

Welcome to Hollywood Studios Backlot-Schmoozies Juice Bar-MuppetVision 3D-Monsters Inc. Dark Ride-Alice In Wonderland Dance Party Land! (Did we also mention the corporate events warehouse and the abandoned food court?)
IMG_3274.jpg

That corner of DCA is an utter and complete mess, and always has been. There's been an identity crisis there since 2001. Turning it into a cohesive theme of Monstropolis and adding an E Ticket Door Coaster next to the existing dark ride will be a huge improvement. Huge. It will pose no more of an identity crisis to the overall purpose of DCA as a theme park than adding a fictitious Arizona town where talking cars live did.

lazyboy97o

How so? That area at DCA already has a Monsters Inc. dark ride, wedged next to an abandoned food court and MuppetVision 3D, with random "Studio Backlot" signage placed on the giant stucco warehouses and some hip n' edgy 2001 snack bars at the entrance. And just for fun, at 6PM each evening that area becomes a Liquorland Dance Party.

Welcome to Hollywood Studios Backlot-Schmoozies Juice Bar-MuppetVision 3D-Monsters Inc. Dark Ride-Alice In Wonderland Dance Party Land! (Did we also mention the corporate events warehouse and the abandoned food court?)
IMG_3274.jpg

That corner of DCA is an utter and complete mess, and always has been. There's been an identity crisis there since 2001. Turning it into a cohesive theme of Monstropolis and adding an E Ticket Door Coaster next to the existing dark ride will be a huge improvement. Huge. It will pose no more of an identity crisis to the overall purpose of DCA as a theme park than adding a fictitious Arizona town where talking cars live did.
The area may look better as an individual item, but it has no relationship to anything else. Yes, the attraction is there, but its the odd man out. It should be removed, not expanded. It's Disney giving up when they've just started to try again. Monsters is easier then selling something more because there is no franchise to tie into the Hollywood Land concept the way Walt was slapped onto Buena Vista Street.

yeti

It'll be a huge improvement...but not a cohesive one. In terms of the general theme of DCA, I don't see how Monstropolis fits any better than what they have now. I agree it's a mess--it's ugly and very DHS backlot-like, which is a theme I can't stand. The two problems with that area are the haphazard theming in and of itself, and the awkward placement of attractions. Making it Monstropolis only addresses one.

And what you said about the dance party...how do you feel about Fantasmic in Frontierland? Or basically every parade Disney has ever put on? There's a tendency to give a free pass to nighttime entertainment. Though I admit the decorations look pretty garish sitting out in the sun in the middle of the afternoon.

Route 66 emulates the spirit of California in a very obvious way, regardless if the region in which it is set happens to be off the state border. Monstropolis doesn't do that for me at all, and never will by any stretch of the imagination.

At the end of the day, the most ironic part of this is that it's a no-go in WDW where it would make more sense seeing as they already have a place for it--a Pixar Place, no less. I'd even argue that right now, the Muppetvision/Monsters Inc area is hideous but technically fits because it's Hollywood. Monstropolis will only be the flip-side of that: way prettier, but awkward in the greater story of the park, partially because DCA has a waay more definitive mission statement than most Disney parks (I hate using that term for a theme park, but alas). I obviously can't say I'm not excited about it wherever it goes. Ultimately it's great to see that they're at least trying to one-up Universal in CA.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

DCA has turned into things that don't fit in Disneyland Park. The theme has always been pretty loose. Monstropolis in California doesn't fit any different to the theme than Mermaids in California, bugs in California, etc etc.

I wish they would stick more to a cohesive theme. They could do so much with the Hollywood backlot area that would fit the theme and be great attractions, but none of those involve a current blockbuster franchise and Disney's formula is sticking to current franchises. While my first choice would be something great that sticks to the theme, my second choice would be anything that improves that corner of the park and Monstropolis does that.

Today Disney California Adventure stands for a Disney park located in California where you will have adventures.

doctornick

I still don't understand why they would be building Monstropolis in DCA and not planning to add it to DHS -- which needs the help more -- simultaneously. That can spread out the development costs and benefit both DLR and WDW.

Californian Elitist

I still don't understand why they would be building Monstropolis in DCA and not planning to add it to DHS -- which needs the help more -- simultaneously. That can spread out the development costs and benefit both DLR and WDW.

Let's not forget the Monstropolis idea for DCA is still a rumor. Nothing's been confirmed. I wouldn't count on it, honestly.

TP2000

Because they are spreading out the development costs on Star Wars Land; both Disneyland's Tomorrowland and DHS will share the rides and shows being created for that new bi-coastal expansion.

TDO already has their exclusive expansion theme; Avatarland. But I doubt any other Disney property around the world wants to share that with them. ;)

Last edited:

TP2000

Let's not forget the Monstropolis idea for DCA is still a rumor. Nothing's been confirmed. I wouldn't count on it, honestly.

Valid point. The concept of Monstropolis came out of nowhere and was scooped by Al Lutz last spring, and fleshed out by him over the summer via a couple more Micechat blog posts. No one else in the Disney "insider" blogosphere has touched it.

Monstropolis and the Door Coaster rumor belongs solely to Al Lutz and Micechat, even six months after they broke the story.

TP2000

It'll be a huge improvement...but not a cohesive one. In terms of the general theme of DCA, I don't see how Monstropolis fits any better than what they have now. I agree it's a mess--it's ugly and very DHS backlot-like, which is a theme I can't stand. The two problems with that area are the haphazard theming in and of itself, and the awkward placement of attractions. Making it Monstropolis only addresses one.

And what you said about the dance party...how do you feel about Fantasmic in Frontierland? Or basically every parade Disney has ever put on? There's a tendency to give a free pass to nighttime entertainment. Though I admit the decorations look pretty garish sitting out in the sun in the middle of the afternoon...

Disney can never seem to figure out where to put their popular Monsters Inc. franchise in the parks. In Japan they wedged a Monster Inc. dark ride into Tomorrowland, similar to the Laugh Floor in WDW's Tomorrowland. In Anaheim the dark ride has sat alone at the back of an ugly corner of the park for 8 years.

The Mad T Party is a good idea for the area, since it's otherwise abandoned and ignored by park guests during daylight hours. Only bored tourists who stumble across MuppetVision 3D and the Monsters Inc. dark ride get to "enjoy" the aesthetic disaster that is the Hollywood Studios Backlot section of DCA, with all the party equipment and props and bizarre Alice In Wonderland themed stuff sitting there silently waiting for the sun to go down. It's a total disaster back there, and it amazes me that it gets a complete pass from most Disneyland fans.

Mad T Party Equipment During Daylight - Amidst DCA's Stucco Warehouse Glamour of Hollywood Studios Backlot
8719670520_2c40a0a2e0_b.jpg

Yes, Monsters Inc. really has nothing to do with the State of California. But neither does the Pixar Play Parade and World of Color and Mad T Party and the Danish fairytale The Little Mermaid and Bugs and lots of other stuff. Monstropolis will be wedged in behind Hollywood Blvd. and a silly "backstory" will be created by WDI for why it's there. Just like they do with everything now.

I personally can't WAIT to hear how they try and explain why alien planet Pandora is in Animal Kingdom and/or how we transport there from Africa and Asia next door. :eek:

Would I love for an expanded "Old California" section of the park to go in there, with a Winchester Mystery House type dark ride based on Mystic Manor's ride system from Hong Kong? Of course! But that's not the way things go with Disney's American parks in the 21st century. They are tied to popular movie franchises, and since Disney Studios can't seem to make a movie success, that task rests solely on the hit-makers at Pixar.

I'm just thrilled that DCA is getting another big E Ticket attraction expansion a few years after Cars Land and Mermaid and Buena Vista Street opened. And it wipes out and unifies the ugliest and most disjointed corner of any Disney theme park in America. At the same time they'll be redoing Tomorrowland a few hundred yards away too!

Compared to the glacial pace of park expansion in WDW, where entire parks can go a decade or more between attractions, the news of Monstropolis being wedged in behind Hollywood Blvd. is thrilling! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom