DHS CARS LAND

The Empress Lilly

I disagree. BVS, Hollywoodland, Condor Flats, Grizzly Peak, Paradise Pier and even Cars Land all feel very California to me. I love that I can come to Disneyland and still experience a lot of the state of California, especially when I'm only there for a few days.
Yes. I too would enjoy visiting a park about Cali when I'm in Cali. As would the locals for that matter. Disney just needed to do something with the Cali theme. Process it, add a layer of Disneyfication. For example Grizzly. Xtreme sports was neither a fun, nor a particularly Californian theme. Whereas the new celebration of California's nature parks is. Cars Land, in an 'almost' kind of way, does the same with Route 66 and the southwest.

Strangely, DLP now goes the other way. After having always resisted anything French in either the parks or hotels, DLP is now building a decidedly French area, Ratatouille. But again France with a twist, the idealised Paris of Rat. From a resort that insisted it was a part of America that celebrated America, it now at last will have a park that admits and celebrates it is part of Paris. I predict a raving succes with both locals and outsiders. That area looked good, and when I saw it instantly realised that DLP had been missing a Paris area all along.

In the end though, I travel from Europe to America to walk in a fake Africa. It's all about doing something with these themed places, Disneyfying them, theme-parking them.

|Q|

Strangely, DLP now goes the other way. After having always resisted anything French in either the parks or hotels, DLP is now building a decidedly French area, Ratatouille. But again France with a twist, the idealised Paris of Rat. From a resort that insisted it was a part of America that celebrated America, it now at last will have a park that admits and celebrates it is part of Paris. I predict a raving succes with both locals and outsiders. That area looked good, and when I saw it instantly realised that DLP had been missing a Paris area all

Actually I've heard somewhere that in the Disney-French Govt. contract it's stated that Disney MUST include a certain "amount" of French content. That's why there's the Liberty Arcade on Main Street, all the Verne stuff in DiscoveryLand and Michel Piccoli in the late Visionarium. Just like french radios have to air 40% of their music in french. Ratatouille is going to fill that spot in the Studios.

lazyboy97o

Actually I've heard somewhere that in the Disney-French Govt. contract it's stated that Disney MUST include a certain "amount" of French content. That's why there's the Liberty Arcade on Main Street, all the Verne stuff in DiscoveryLand and Michel Piccoli in the late Visionarium. Just like french radios have to air 40% of their music in french. Ratatouille is going to fill that spot in the Studios.
I've never seen mention of specific requirements, but there was always a concern regarding cultural imperialism. Even items like Phantom Manor, being a reworking of an existing attraction, were about creating something more than the individual copies seen at Tokyo Disneyland (which were done at the request of the Oriental Land Company).

misterID

And, because I know that this is a bit of a thread bump, to put this bit of news in here as well...

The insiders seem to be saying that Cars Land is now on the way out, with the focus being on Star Wars instead.

That's disappointing. It could have used both. Badly.

PeterAlt

I saw on the other thread someone said there's a Route 66 sign now at DHS. Has this been discussed here? Sign of things to come, maybe?

asianway

I miss the tile mural at the right side as you enter DCA. And the fountain at the "hub"ish area. And even the giant lettered CALIFORNIA out front.

I think they killed a great deal of charm when making these changes.

The mural was flat out beautiful. But then again, whatever happened to the Mary Blair mural in Tomorrowland at DL. Yep. Same treatment. Dang shame.
Depending on who you ask, the Mary Blair murals may simply be covered up - at DCA they were destroyed.

Jimmy Thick

Hows that inside information of Carsland at DHS working out?

* Chuckles *

Jimmy Thick- Someday...We'll be together...Oh yes we will yes we will...

lazyboy97o

Depending on who you ask, the Mary Blair murals may simply be covered up - at DCA they were destroyed.
I would swear I've seen pictures of huge holes smashed into one of the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals.

Hows that inside information of Carsland at DHS working out?

* Chuckles *

Jimmy Thick- Someday...We'll be together...Oh yes we will yes we will...
How is Hyperion Wharf coming along? The Cinderella's Chateau and Aurora's Cottage meet and greet complex? The Cars Dine-In Theater?

yeti

Yes. I too would enjoy visiting a park about Cali when I'm in Cali. As would the locals for that matter. Disney just needed to do something with the Cali theme. Process it, add a layer of Disneyfication. For example Grizzly. Xtreme sports was neither a fun, nor a particularly Californian theme. Whereas the new celebration of California's nature parks is. Cars Land, in an 'almost' kind of way, does the same with Route 66 and the southwest.

Strangely, DLP now goes the other way. After having always resisted anything French in either the parks or hotels, DLP is now building a decidedly French area, Ratatouille. But again France with a twist, the idealised Paris of Rat. From a resort that insisted it was a part of America that celebrated America, it now at last will have a park that admits and celebrates it is part of Paris. I predict a raving succes with both locals and outsiders. That area looked good, and when I saw it instantly realised that DLP had been missing a Paris area all along.

In the end though, I travel from Europe to America to walk in a fake Africa. It's all about doing something with these themed places, Disneyfying them, theme-parking them.

I would also add that in addition to being idealized, in some cases fantastic versions of places you can really visit, the fact that they're mostly set in ideal time periods makes them exotic. Since you can't, y'know, travel back in time. It's magical.

DCA WILL have an identity crisis again when they park Monstropolis there instead of putting it where it should be: DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom