DHS CARS LAND

twebber55

There's no way D23 will not get an Avatar update, Iger will not allow it. That's his thing and he's not going to look like a fool. Same reason there will be SOMETHING Avatar at AK.

And seeing the backlash they got after the last D23, that Staggs had to personally respond to, I doubt there isn't something mentioned for WDW in some way.

I think they learned that showing WDW fans all the cool things all the other parks are getting and they're not isn't the wisest of moves. I am interested at seeing more info on Shanghai and Kitchen Calamity. We'll see what they do for WDW overall, but I'm not expecting anything huge.
I agree
I lood for d23 this year yo be very interesting

nytimez

Oh, the things I learn on this site.
As opposed to the accounting debate which took over Spirit's thread for 5+ pages, this architecture discussion is fascinating. I just spent the most enjoyable 1/2 hour Googling Googie. Never heard of it, but have clear memories of numerous examples which used to exist in my home town.
Thanks for the diversion.

Googie sent me into the Google wormhole as well. Love the style, never knew the name. I always just thought of it as retro-future or 50's space age.

jt04

Just to be clear because I see it here a lot...it does not rain every day in the summer. In fact, I think the average number of rainy days (.01 inch or greater) in a given location in Florida is somewhere around 120 days. Not to say I don't agree a dark ride may be better, but rainy days is not necessarily the best reason for it.

That is why I listed it last on my list. BTW, I hear it is raining in central Florida. Just saying. ;)

TP2000

Oh, the things I learn on this site.
As opposed to the accounting debate which took over Spirit's thread for 5+ pages, this architecture discussion is fascinating. I just spent the most enjoyable 1/2 hour Googling Googie. Never heard of it, but have clear memories of numerous examples which used to exist in my home town.
Thanks for the diversion.

You're welcome! Googie is a rather inexact architectural style, but to use a famous line from a Supreme Court judge "I know it when I see it". :cool:

Googie is more well-known and celebrated in Southern California, as its part of the culture here. I have several good books in the den on Googie architecture, mostly related to SoCal. You rarely hear about it in other parts of the country though, although it did exist.

Anaheim used to be an epic center of Googie architecture, with all the motels and coffee shops and bowling alleys that sprung up around Disneyland in the late 1950's and 60's. Sadly, the 1970's and 80's weren't kind to Googie and much of it was torn down or slathered over with "tasteful" stucco in an attempt to update into blandness. By the 1990's we'd all realized how much we lost, and major preservation movements finally got started in SoCal. I-Drive in Orlando was built too late for Googie to have any presence in Orlando, but in Anaheim it was everywhere and truly epic.

If anyone is going to D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center this August, the major keynote addresses of the Expo take place in the 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena. The 1967 arena is a major piece of Googie left in Anaheim, and a fabulous example of the last gasp of Googie architecture. If a Cars Land for DHS is announced, this is where it will happen!

The Anaheim Googie Dome - Bob Iger and Tom Staggs Appearing This August!
5738970006_eb0607b128_z.jpg

PeterAlt

So you are saying we shouldn't discuss rumors about Disney parks on a Disney parks news and rumors message board? Most people on these board understand that 95% of these rumors will not come true, but it's still fun to have the discussion.
No. Of course not. I'm just saying not to get your hopes up and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom