DHS CARS LAND

MattM

All of WDW is on swampland, and look what they did. I would consider the swampland a non-issue, Heck, look at the all of the ginormous hotels they build on swampland not too mention MK and the utilidors.

Absolutely. But as most Floridians know, not all swampland is equal.

jt04

Screamscape is running with the dark ride version of RSR for DHS as a real possibility. I have no doubt it is being considered. And that it would be a perfect addition to the park everything considered. If you think about the geology, the park's configuration, Pixar Place as a possible land, the need for the merchandising, and franchising this highly successful IP etc. And also the weather. Humidity and daily rain do not exactly scream 'desert'. It is just the perfect solution. IMO.

MattM

True.... but if they can pull of putting Bay Like so close the the utilidors than I think they could pulll of just about any thing.

True, but costs have risen exponentially to pull something like that off from 30 years ago, and regulatory requirements too. They may deem it not worth doing. I don't know if that's the right call or not...

MattM

Screamscape is running with the dark ride version of RSR for DHS as a real possibility. I have no doubt it is being considered. And that it would be a perfect addition to the park everything considered. If you think about the geology, the park's configuration, Pixar Place as a possible land, the need for the merchandising, and franchising this highly successful IP etc. And also the weather. Humidity and daily rain do not exactly scream 'desert'. It is just the perfect solution. IMO.

Just to be clear because I see it here a lot...it does not rain every day in the summer. In fact, I think the average number of rainy days (.01 inch or greater) in a given location in Florida is somewhere around 120 days. Not to say I don't agree a dark ride may be better, but rainy days is not necessarily the best reason for it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
California Crazy plays to the Golden Age era though. California Crazy architecture was 1920's and 1930's, the Golden Age of Hollywood and the birth of the Car Culture. Gertie's is a nice nod to that era. But I agree that it kind of ends right as its getting started, and they should have explored the California Crazy culture more in DHS.

But some people, mainly those who have never lived in or visited California, get confused and think California Crazy is the same thing as Googie architecture. But the Googie era was post-war 1950's and 60's, dying out very quickly in the early 1970's. And very different from pre-war California Crazy. There is no Googie in DHS, only California Crazy.

There is still some Googie architecture on display in Anaheim though, just a short stroll from Disneyland's main entrance turnstiles.
Oh, the things I learn on this site.
As opposed to the accounting debate which took over Spirit's thread for 5+ pages, this architecture discussion is fascinating. I just spent the most enjoyable 1/2 hour Googling Googie. Never heard of it, but have clear memories of numerous examples which used to exist in my home town.
Thanks for the diversion.

Mawg

For the 9-36 months of construction you see on the site, we do 2-10 years of concept, R&D, studies, design development, testing, filming, revising and more. You never see that part of the process. While it may seem like things are idle, there is plenty going on behind the curtain.

While that part sounds interesting and I would love to be able to follow it (but would never get access), I'm only interested in what I can follow. I love to see the aerials and daily construction progress. Even if they started releasing concept art that would be something exciting. So, as I said, it seems pretty idle to me.

misterID

There's no way D23 will not get an Avatar update, Iger will not allow it. That's his thing and he's not going to look like a fool. Same reason there will be SOMETHING Avatar at AK.

And seeing the backlash they got after the last D23, that Staggs had to personally respond to, I doubt there isn't something mentioned for WDW in some way.

I think they learned that showing WDW fans all the cool things all the other parks are getting and they're not isn't the wisest of moves. I am interested at seeing more info on Shanghai and Kitchen Calamity. We'll see what they do for WDW overall, but I'm not expecting anything huge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom