DHS CARS LAND

G00fyDad

In principle, I totally agree. You do not want Star Wars to be too overwhelming in the park.

Exactly.

In practice, you get a bit of a quandary where you want any Star Wars area to be "immersive" and feel like you are in a galaxy far far away. So, it has to be large enough to properly theme it. And then you run into the question of doing multiple worlds or one or what. Mos Eisley Cantina should get a Tantooine/desert look. But Star Tours is themed to be like Endor. Kind of a contrast.

I think ideally they'd pick two worlds -- one being Tantooine and the other being maybe Endor, Hoth or Coruscant and develop attractions to those locales. I agree with doing an E ticket and a C ticket, maybe they could also do a walk though (there is talk of a Millennium Falcon walk through in Paris, I think) or permanent Jedi Training Academy show.

In this instance they should stick to a single world. Of course I would want a world that has not yet been seen in the movies, but I an a SW nerd and would recognize it immediately. However, most people would not so they would need to keep it familiar. But since it should be smaller than a half park expansion, they should keep it to one world.

Also, Star Tours is more like a D ticket, no?

Fair point. ;)

MattM

Not my point. What I meant was that since this is a Disney park, and not a Lucas Film park, they should keep the Lucas Film IP to a less than overwhelming presence. Don't get me wrong. I'd visit the h*ll out of a Lucas Land park, but the IP should not take over half of DHS.

Ah, but LucasFilm IS Disney, and vice versa.

doctornick

But the park is a mess to most because it is just a cluster of small vignettes. No matter the direction, any sense of place making is going to be out of sync with such a non-place environment.

Well, they have to start somewhere. Might as well go big with Star Wars IMHO and not do it half-assed. I'm not saying take up half the park, but whatever you do, make it immersive and of high quality.

Would that be a contrast to the rest of the park? Yes. But, really, DHS needs it and it isn't going to get some $3B total redo of the park to have a consistent theming throughout and sensible layout. A high quality Star Wars and expanded Pixar Place might be incongruous with the rest of the park, but I'd take incongruous that is well themed with good draws over the half-day mess it is now. YMMV.

MattM

Nobody considered Miramax to be Disney in any such manner. Why should Disney suddenly consume the identity of Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm?
I'm not saying Disney should consume any identity. Only that now LucasFilm has just as much of a reason to have a prominent role in disneys parks as any of disneys other brands.

lazyboy97o

I'm not saying Disney should consume any identity. Only that now LucasFilm has just as much of a reason to have a prominent role in disneys parks as any of disneys other brands.
Not based just on ownership. Pulp Fiction didn't have just as much a place at a Disney theme park. The Star Wars series shares a lot in terms of story typology with Disney, but its inclusion should not be justified by mere ownership.

MattM

Not based just on ownership. Pulp Fiction didn't have just as much a place at a Disney theme park. The Star Wars series shares a lot in terms of story typology with Disney, but its inclusion should not be justified by mere ownership.
Fair enough.

But Pulp Fiction (great movie by the way) isn't already in a Disney park. Should it be? Maybe a 5th gate ;)

the.dreamfinder

Jack Rabbit Slims!!!!
tumblr_ljathlnnPi1qihk5po1_500.gif

the.dreamfinder

Fun Fact: Disney still owns the Miramax back catalog, they only sold the Miramax name and distribution rights to the back catalog.

misterID

They need a Pulp Fiction scene in TGMR. Oh, but which one to pick from? :)

And Jules Windfield needs to hijack the car and take over the tour.

"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?"

tikiman

in jt's case it was more like piggybacking...

@tikiman big as in an attraction or multiple attractions? I just hope the thing isn't a big thrill ride.

To me it sounded like what they did for Car’s Land with one big ride surrounded by a themed land that has other smaller rides but when you are in there you feel like you are surrounded by the Star Wars universe. The main ride theme was described to me but I think someone else is going to have to give that secret away. I’m sure if I know someone else here does.

doctornick

To me it sounded like what they did for Car’s Land with one big ride surrounded by a themed land that has other smaller rides but when you are in there you feel like you are surrounded by the Star Wars universe. The main ride theme was described to me but I think someone else is going to have to give that secret away. I’m sure if I know someone else here does.

This sounds like a good plan if that is what they do.

Have any other insiders heard of similar plans?

jt04

In principle, I totally agree. You do not want Star Wars to be too overwhelming in the park.

In practice, you get a bit of a quandary where you want any Star Wars area to be "immersive" and feel like you are in a galaxy far far away. So, it has to be large enough to properly theme it. And then you run into the question of doing multiple worlds or one or what. Mos Eisley Cantina should get a Tantooine/desert look. But Star Tours is themed to be like Endor. Kind of a contrast.

I think ideally they'd pick two worlds -- one being Tantooine and the other being maybe Endor, Hoth or Coruscant and develop attractions to those locales. I agree with doing an E ticket and a C ticket, maybe they could also do a walk though (there is talk of a Millennium Falcon walk through in Paris, I think) or permanent Jedi Training Academy show.

Also, Star Tours is more like a D ticket, no?

Star Wars at DHS should keep one foot in the real world. As much of DHS was originally designed. If they want to create an immersive Star Wars experience it should be done as a separate boutique style park. Assuming the new adds prove popular enough which I predict they will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom