DHS CARS LAND

misterID

Why not both? (In the cool taco commercial voice)

@WDWDad13

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant but didn't say :D

I don't think any expansion should be centered on a thrill ride and that's it. Especially for this park. That's why I think RSR and Monsters INC would have been a good expansion. An Indy ride would put it over the top. I hope that's something like what we get.

djkidkaz

I don't get myself attached to any of these ideas anymore. We've got a different insider every other week giving us a different story on what's supposedly coming to DHS. Sometimes I think these rumors take on a life of their own. Remember when whylightbulb said Cars Land was coming for sure and that his thread was even being investigated. Then it was Cars Land was coming but without RSR. Now it's no Cars Land at all but instead Star Wars Land. So no one really knows until blueprints are leaked ( which seems to always be the case over the past years ). If it is Star Wars Land now I would doubt we would hear anything at D23 since Disney just bought the rights and it would take much more time to work through ideas and concepts. It's something that will be in the park forever and one of the biggest franchises Disney will ever have. It's not something they would take lightly just to please us fanboys at D23.

Genie of the Lamp

So I'm on MDE app on my IPhone here trying to get an idea of what we can expect to see with this huge/big project that will involve something star wars that will affect areas around star tours as well as Indy Stunt show and Echo Lake that was provided by tikiman (later backed by wdw71fan saying that tikiman's comments were much more accurate). So I'll outline what I see being taken out/removed/possibly In looking at the DHS map here, right away I see the AI Experience and ABC Sound Studio pretty much for the most part right across from ST. Then as I move my way down past the Tatooine Traders exit gift/merchandise shop, I run into the Pizza Planet restaurant&arcade to go along with Mamma Melrose's Ristorante Italiano. I don't see them tinkering with the Muppet area. I also don't see them tinkering with Streets of America since the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights are up there for about a good 5-6 months (prep work starting in late August and take decorations down in January) and it plays a role in that area. I would think that they'd want to work with Backlot Express and turn it into a Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant. I hope the Academy of Television Arts&Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza doesn't go. The other side of Comissary Lane (where the ABC Commisary and Sci-Fi Diner Theater are), I believe won't be tinkered with either. Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream and Min and Bill's Dockside Diner should be gone as well (hopefully) since work will be done on Echo Lake. I wonder what the status of Hollywood & Vine and 50s Prime Time Cafe/Tune-In Lounge will be? The Indy Stunt show I would think would go and that one parade maintenance building would be demolished and maybe expand this land/project into parts of that parking lot behind the ST/Indy area.

Will see how this plays out I guess. This is all guessing/speculation.

jt04

So I'm on MDE app on my IPhone here trying to get an idea of what we can expect to see with this huge/big project that will involve something star wars that will affect areas around star tours as well as Indy Stunt show and Echo Lake that was provided by tikiman (later backed by wdw71fan saying that tikiman's comments were much more accurate). So I'll outline what I see being taken out/removed/possibly In looking at the DHS map here, right away I see the AI Experience and ABC Sound Studio pretty much for the most part right across from ST. Then as I move my way down past the Tatooine Traders exit gift/merchandise shop, I run into the Pizza Planet restaurant&arcade to go along with Mamma Melrose's Ristorante Italiano. I don't see them tinkering with the Muppet area. I also don't see them tinkering with Streets of America since the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights are up there for about a good 5-6 months (prep work starting in late August and take decorations down in January) and it plays a role in that area. I would think that they'd want to work with Backlot Express and turn it into a Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant. I hope the Academy of Television Arts&Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza doesn't go. The other side of Comissary Lane (where the ABC Commisary and Sci-Fi Diner Theater are), I believe won't be tinkered with either. Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream and Min and Bill's Dockside Diner should be gone as well (hopefully) since work will be done on Echo Lake. I wonder what the status of Hollywood & Vine and 50s Prime Time Cafe/Tune-In Lounge will be? The Indy Stunt show I would think would go and that one parade maintenance building would be demolished and maybe expand this land/project into parts of that parking lot behind the ST/Indy area.

Will see how this plays out I guess. This is all guessing/speculation.

I think you are on the right track. Personally I would like to see Sci-Fi relocated possibly also incorporating the commissary space for SW.

Echo Lake needs to be reworked as you suggest. Prime Time, H&V etc. are fine because SW is somewhat derived from 1950's serials, so it could make a nice transition IMO.

Informative post. Thanks.

doctornick

The Indy Stunt show I would think would go and that one parade maintenance building would be demolished and maybe expand this land/project into parts of that parking lot behind the ST/Indy area.

There was previously rumors that part of the reason why the parades have been cancelled (besides the cost savings) is so the backstage buildings behind Star Tours/Backlot Express which include the parade storage could be torn down and used for new attractions. Furthermore, there is also talk that the access road/main toll plaza is being changed such that it would come off of Victory Way and the current access road could be repurposed (i.e. become part of the park's land). That current backstage land alone would be plenty of space for new attractions, not to mention they'd have the option to use Sounds Dangerous/American Idol and/or Indiana Jones. They could do a lot for Star Wars if they wanted to do all that.

It would be interesting if this proceeds whether it would be a "Star Wars expansion" (replace IJ) or a "Lucasfilm expansion" (keep IJ or change it to a ride).

G00fyDad

There was previously rumors that part of the reason why the parades have been cancelled (besides the cost savings) is so the backstage buildings behind Star Tours/Backlot Express which include the parade storage could be torn down and used for new attractions. Furthermore, there is also talk that the access road/main toll plaza is being changed such that it would come off of Victory Way and the current access road could be repurposed (i.e. become part of the park's land). That current backstage land alone would be plenty of space for new attractions, not to mention they'd have the option to use Sounds Dangerous/American Idol and/or Indiana Jones. They could do a lot for Star Wars if they wanted to do all that.

It would be interesting if this proceeds whether it would be a "Star Wars expansion" (replace IJ) or a "Lucasfilm expansion" (keep IJ or change it to a ride).

I am one of the loudest proponents for a Star Wars land, but even I realize that they should not go too big with the Star Wars Land (if they do one at all). Only because this is DISNEY'S Hollywood Studios, not a full Lucasland. Too much SW would be over saturating the park with an IP. They should have an E ticket, a C ticket, and a restaurant. Oh, and keep Star Tours as a second C ticket.

doctornick

@tikiman big as in an attraction or multiple attractions? I just hope the thing isn't a big thrill ride.

Agreed. Sure, if there is a large expansion for DHS, one would hope that a big draw E-ticket would be part of it. But DHS needs a lot of smaller, family friendly rides more than height restricted thrill rides. I'm hoping that if some sort of "Project Sparkle" does come to DHS that it focuses on adding a lot of new attractions in addition to improving the theming/layout of DHS.

lazyboy97o

I am one of the loudest proponents for a Star Wars land, but even I realize that they should not go too big with the Star Wars Land (if they do one at all). Only because this is DISNEY'S Hollywood Studios, not a full Lucasland. Too much SW would be over saturating the park with an IP. They should have an E ticket, a C ticket, and a restaurant.

The "Disney's" is just part of the branding convention that was applied to almost everything.

G00fyDad

The "Disney's" is just part of the branding convention that was applied to almost everything.

Not my point. What I meant was that since this is a Disney park, and not a Lucas Film park, they should keep the Lucas Film IP to a less than overwhelming presence. Don't get me wrong. I'd visit the h*ll out of a Lucas Land park, but the IP should not take over half of DHS.

lazyboy97o

Not my point. What I meant was that since this is a Disney park, and not a Lucas Film park, they should keep the Lucas Film IP to a less than overwhelming presence. Don't get me wrong. I'd visit the h*ll out of a Lucas Land park, but the IP should not take over half of DHS.
The park has always been overrun by non-Disney properties.

doctornick

I am one of the loudest proponents for a Star Wars land, but even I realize that they should not go too big with the Star Wars Land (if they do one at all). Only because this is DISNEY'S Hollywood Studios, not a full Lucasland. Too much SW would be over saturating the park with an IP. They should have an E ticket, a C ticket, and a restaurant. Oh, and keep Star Tours as a second C ticket.

In principle, I totally agree. You do not want Star Wars to be too overwhelming in the park.

In practice, you get a bit of a quandary where you want any Star Wars area to be "immersive" and feel like you are in a galaxy far far away. So, it has to be large enough to properly theme it. And then you run into the question of doing multiple worlds or one or what. Mos Eisley Cantina should get a Tantooine/desert look. But Star Tours is themed to be like Endor. Kind of a contrast.

I think ideally they'd pick two worlds -- one being Tantooine and the other being maybe Endor, Hoth or Coruscant and develop attractions to those locales. I agree with doing an E ticket and a C ticket, maybe they could also do a walk though (there is talk of a Millennium Falcon walk through in Paris, I think) or permanent Jedi Training Academy show.

Also, Star Tours is more like a D ticket, no?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom