DHS CARS LAND

Soarin' Over Pgh

Does anyone know the actual process in which a project gets approved/built? How many people need to oversee it, approve it, make changes, move it along, etc? Is that why it takes Disney more years and money to build a land than any other park?

jt04

What?!? Projections in broad daylight? You don't know what you're talking about.

Obviously a portion would be indoors. Wow. :rolleyes:

I like to refer people to the diorama inside the Mexico pavilion in World Showcase. They created a very convincing volcano (at night even in the daytime!) a long time ago that is still effective. Imagine what could be done with modern technology.

The Duck

Doubt it. Disney has leverage with the Cars, Star Wars and other IP that Universal couldn't match. Cameron probably wants Pandora more than the mouse at this point. Remember Pandora pre-dates the acquisition of Star Wars.
Disney has potentially had the upper hand from day one. The problem is getting them to actually do something with what they have.

|Q|

Obviously a portion would be indoors. Wow. :rolleyes:

Wait, are you suggesting that to *cut* the cost they should scrap the main ride and then build the city of Radiators Springs indoor with 2 flat rides, shops and restaurants? Sounds like a Cars Mall to me... U_U

jt04

Disney has potentially had the upper hand from day one. The problem is getting them to actually do something with what they have.

I will withhold judging until D23. I would become the biggest critic if nothing is announced. 2 more months and we will know.

jt04

Wait, are you suggesting that to *cut* the cost they should scrap the main ride and then build the city of Radiators Springs indoor with 2 flat rides, shops and restaurants? Sounds like a Cars Mall to me... U_U

1 flat ride and one newly imagined D ticket as just one part of an eventual expanded Pixar Place which would also feature other Pixar properties. Yeah, that is what I am suggesting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes.

Of course the mountain range could also be done virtually through a mix of rockwork and projections. Possibly incorporating CC.

It is completely unimaginable that they would try to duplicate the rockwork form DCA. That people even think that would be a possibility in Florida is frightening. The only reason they went to that expense in California is because they needed something to put DCA 'on the map' and the park had serious problems with visual intrusions from the real world. Neither of these are an issue at WDW.

A clone of Carsland is not happening. A reimagined Carsland makes perfect sense.

Have you visted Carsland yet? I have, and that rock work is an intergral part of what makes that land so spectacular. Unfortuently I would not be surprised if they cut it, but I think it would be a bad idea.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Have you visted Carsland yet? I have, and that rock work is an intergral part of what makes that land so spectacular. Unfortuently I would not be surprised if they cut it, but I think it would be a bad idea.
I must be the only person (or certainly in the minority) who does not like the Cars Land rock work. It serves a distinct purpose in DCA, which is not necessary in DHS.
Again, just MY opinion, but Disney seems to have gone "rock crazy" lately. Not every queue needs tens of millions of dollars of pretty rocks at the expense of value engineering the actual attraction. I'm looking at you, Ariel.

Californian Elitist

The rockwork serves the land as a whole, not just for the queue. You can't have Radiator Springs without Cadillac Range.

139209978_53e8c36af0.jpg

RSoxNo1

Totally disagree. Without RSR, Cars Land is all style but no substance -- nice to look at, but missing the big thing to actually do there. Basically, the same problem and complaints we are seeing with the FLE.

Now, I guess if they built Cars Land and had a different E-ticket instead of RSR, then that's one thing. But to just build Cars Land (i.e. the town of Radiator Springs) but without RSR and no replacement would be pointless IMHO. At that point, just add the Mater ride to a larger Pixar Place expansion and forget about a Cars themed subland.
Without Radiator Springs Racers, it's worse than New Fantasyland, it looks fantastic but doesn't have the one thing to put it over the edge.

WDW95

I think an indoor Radiator Springs would be cool for DHS. Build it inside one of the soundstages and make the exterior themed to Pixar Place so it has some context in the movie studios. Could definitely be like the Mexico Pavillion or Mermaid Lagoon at TDS. Radiator Springs at night with all that neon. Put Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and a new flat ride and a Fantasyland-like dark ride and that is good. Flo's V-8 Cafe. Just make it one part of Pixar Place.

Continue with expanding Pixar Place by featuring other properties. A new E-ticket based on something else. Bring over the Ratatouille Ride or something Monsters Inc. Up could create a cool water ride.

Pixar Place can become the Fantasyland of the Studios. No need to devote so much attention to only Cars when A: there is already a whole land in DCA and Art of Animation and B: Pixar has so many great films not represented yet.

asianway

Without Radiator Springs Racers, it's worse than New Fantasyland, it looks fantastic but doesn't have the one thing to put it over the edge.

I know Im in the minority, but I would take the lighting ceremony over aything in NFE. Of course, I would still have mermaid 2 minutes away :)

Next Big Thing

Close to twice the price of Forbidden Journey.
Not really, especially if it ends up on the lower end of that figure. FJ cost around $90M to build. if it's in the 120-150 range, that would be very reasonable for the type of tech we're talking about and still very economical and built in a timely manor. Disney could learn a thing or two from that model.

misterID

I will withhold judging until D23. I would become the biggest critic if nothing is announced. 2 more months and we will know.

I seriously think that D23 is the only, or at least, the main reason Avatar is going ahead (in whatever that is at this point) they cannot have the backlash they did last time in regards to Disney World.

Plus, they've stuck their neck out with that Avatar announcement. They have to show something now.

cheezbat

If they build Radiator Springs without the rock work it's not even worth it. If that's the case they might as well build a dark ride similar to Racers but use other Pixar properties back in that area too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom