DHS CARS LAND

jt04

This is exactly what the concrete dessert known today as the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot needs! I propose transforming the race track that's in the middle of the parking lot into Cars Land, but move it closer to the TTC so that there's easy access to it from the MK. It would be an annex of the MK and would require a MK (or park hopper) ticket for entry and would not be a separate gate but more like a satellite sub-gate of the MK.

Thinking outside the berm.

Interesting idea.

Bocabear

That would be interesting but a logistical nightmare... all new infrastructure etc. would be needed...and that would then become the 5th gate...does not seem like a feasible idea.

PeterAlt

That would be interesting but a logistical nightmare... all new infrastructure etc. would be needed...and that would then become the 5th gate...does not seem like a feasible idea.
What infrastructure other than water, sewage, and ectricity would be required? The current raceway would then be converted back to parking. No new roads, bus stations, etc. required. It won't be a fifth gate since its too small, but a satellite gate of the first gate. It could be bigger than the one at DCA and that opens up possibilities for originality and future additions.

Cosmic Commando

One influenced another during the planning stages in the same way that Dueling Dragons was influenced by the design of Beastly Kingdom during the design phase.
Cars Land was announced basically as-built in 2007... less than 6 months after HP was announced. That was way way before anybody, let alone anybody at Disney, had any idea what a ginormous monster success WWoHP was going to be. I'm not sure anyone would argue that Disney tried extra hard with their food, beverage and merch options in Cars Land because of what happened with WWoHP. The physical setup of the land, though, was definitely plotted out before WWoHP became a success and probably before it was even announced.

PeterAlt

Cars Land was announced basically as-built in 2007... less than 6 months after HP was announced. That was way way before anybody, let alone anybody at Disney, had any idea what a ginormous monster success WWoHP was going to be. I'm not sure anyone would argue that Disney tried extra hard with their food, beverage and merch options in Cars Land because of what happened with WWoHP. The physical setup of the land, though, was definitely plotted out before WWoHP became a success and probably before it was even announced.
You pretty much nailed it there. As to the business models of both projects, it's like they got advise from the same person, or two different people who had the same teacher. There's a connection some where that I just can't pin it without intimate involvement in what happened behind the scenes which I don't have.

Cosmic Commando

You pretty much nailed it there. As to the business models of both projects, it's like they got advise from the same person, or two different people who had the same teacher. There's a connection some where that I just can't pin it without intimate involvement in what happened behind the scenes which I don't have.
I think that person was Walt Disney. :cool:

In my readings, the food and beverage in classic Disneyland seemed to be whatever a sponsor wanted to throw in (Chicken of the Sea pirate ship, Aunt Jemima on MSUSA), but the stores were actually parts of the lands they represented and the merchandise reflected that. The source material practically demanded the themed food for WWoHP; I have not read the books since Deathly Hallows came out, but I still remember Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Chocolate Frogs, Fizzing Whizbees, Butterbeer and Pumpkin juice. With the merch, Uni took a page from the Walt-era playbook and reminded Disney why it was such a good idea in the first place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
More Carsland/DHS rumors. Take them with your preference of a grain, shaker, or giant mountain of salt.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/05/wdw-possible-d23-expo-announcements-2013.html
Saw this posted in another thread. 2018??? 5 years for a clone that didn't take 5 years to build from scratch???

I'm picking giant mountain of salt:). If they build Carsland I can't see them building an E ticket that is not a clone of RSR. The rest seems pretty in line with most of the rumors around these parts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Saw this posted in another thread. 2018??? 5 years for a clone that didn't take 5 years to build from scratch???

I'm picking giant mountain of salt:). If they build Carsland I can't see them building an E ticket that is not a clone of RSR. The rest seems pretty in line with most of the rumors around these parts.

I would agree with you on RSR, I don't see them developing a new E, when they could just clone RSR.

jt04

I would agree with you on RSR, I don't see them developing a new E, when they could just clone RSR.

Let's see. They could spend big on a RSR clone and give west coasters no incentive to travel to Orlando. (Nor would it give those who do travel to Orlando for Potter 2.0 compelling reason to visit WDW also) Or they could spend big on Star Wars and Pandora and create unique content that will attract not just people from Cali but also globally.

Only potter fans would want a clone of RSR at WDW. I smell a conspiracy. :cool:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let's see. They could spend big on a RSR clone and give west coasters no incentive to travel to Orlando. (Nor would it give those who do travel to Orlando for Potter 2.0 compelling reason to visit WDW also) Or they could spend big on Star Wars and Pandora and create unique content that will attract not just people from Cali but also globally.

Only potter fans would want a clone of RSR at WDW. I smell a conspiracy. :cool:

If the rumor is correct (big if) $500M isn't getting a true Star Wars Land done. Give me an even billion and now we're talking.

Turtle

So there'll be a new e-ticket in a Florida version of Cars Land that's more centered off of Cars 2 according to sources. Thoughts?

I think it'd be cool if they loosely include spy gadgets and whatnot into a Cars attraction without relying too much on that horrible sequel.

jt04

If the rumor is correct (big if) $500M isn't getting a true Star Wars Land done. Give me an even billion and now we're talking.

1) Nothing says it has to be done all at once.
2) Nothing says Star Wars content might not be placed in one of the other parks also (see Pixar) eventually
3) Nothing says Star Wars won't also become a boutique park some day.

jt04

So there'll be a new e-ticket in a Florida version of Cars Land that's more centered off of Cars 2 according to sources. Thoughts?

Sorry, but this is obviously wishful spin by some fanboy. Very similar to the way some tried to wish away Pandora.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
1) Nothing says it has to be done all at once.
2) Nothing says Star Wars content might not be placed in one of the other parks also (see Pixar) eventually
3) Nothing says Star Wars won't also become a boutique park some day.

I should change my nick to nothing...because I disagree with 2 out of 3 of those points! <grin>

Star Wars themes have no place in any of the other parks, and doing so is a bad idea, just like Pixar was a lazy theme idea. Tommorowland isn't about Pixar, and never should have been, and if they bring star wars, say to Futureworld...that's just a bad idea.

Well, I take that back, if by "other parks"...Legoland.

I don't think Star Wars has enough to present reasonably (note, I didn't say IP, or amount of characters, or anything like that, I said reasonably) to require a whole park.

Potter works well because it is PART of other parks. And will continue to work, because of that. Were it it's own unique Park, I suspect it would eventually pass away. Plenty of "themed parks" existed around a concept and eventually died. One example is Boardwalk and Baseball (which, sans the boardwalk section, would be akin to the modern ESPN zone).

jt04

I should change my nick to nothing...because I disagree with 2 out of 3 of those points! <grin>

Star Wars themes have no place in any of the other parks, and doing so is a bad idea, just like Pixar was a lazy theme idea. Tommorowland isn't about Pixar, and never should have been, and if they bring star wars, say to Futureworld...that's just a bad idea.

Well, I take that back, if by "other parks"...Legoland.

I don't think Star Wars has enough to present reasonably (note, I didn't say IP, or amount of characters, or anything like that, I said reasonably) to require a whole park.

Potter works well because it is PART of other parks. And will continue to work, because of that. Were it it's own unique Park, I suspect it would eventually pass away. Plenty of "themed parks" existed around a concept and eventually died. One example is Boardwalk and Baseball (which, sans the boardwalk section, would be akin to the modern ESPN zone).

I agree with some of this. But keep in mind that Star Tours is in Tomorrowland at DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom