DHS CARS LAND

MUTZIE77

Would you agree with me that Carsland wouldn't fit in Pixar Place, thematically (or in DHS period for that matter)? Yes, Cars is a Pixar property but Radiator Springs is themed as a real live place on a map, not the product of an animation studio. Plus, a land in a land wouldn't work either.
Wouldn't it be nice if Disney had WDI come up with a totally new set of attractions that would fit the theme of the park? But why would we get anything that hasnt been built already or is being built at another park at the same time, thats too expensive.

Tim_4

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney had WDI come up with a totally new set of attractions that would fit the theme of the park? But why would we get anything that hasnt been built already or is being built at another park at the same time, thats too expensive.
I'd rather get two cloned attractions than one brandy new one, personally. VERY few people visit multiple Disney properties in their lives so there's no MAJOR need for uniqueness between coasts or especially internationally.

That said, we're currently getting zero so there you have it.

RyenDeckard

I'd rather get two cloned attractions than one brandy new one, personally. VERY few people visit multiple Disney properties in their lives so there's no MAJOR need for uniqueness between coasts or especially internationally.

That said, we're currently getting zero so there you have it.

I agree, on all of your points. Especially if we got Indy and RSR, the two best attractions at DLR.

lazyboy97o

Would you agree with me that Carsland wouldn't fit in Pixar Place, thematically (or in DHS period for that matter)? Yes, Cars is a Pixar property but Radiator Springs is themed as a real live place on a map, not the product of an animation studio. Plus, a land in a land wouldn't work either.
I don't think anything really fits into the concept of Pixar Place. There is nothing I see in the Pixar film that suggests that these stories all take place in the same universe. Yes, there are common Easter eggs, but I see nothing to indicate that Andy knows of Mr. incredible, was visited by Monsters Inc. or could hear the story of Merida. This is further complicated by the giant toys that populate what is supposedly the Pixar facility. Is this version of the Pixar campus just decorated with giant toys? Or is this a studio play set?

Part of the problem with a studio theme park is that anything could fit almost anywhere. It's part of how movies are made. They use and reuse what they have where they have the space. It's a cacophony of this and that. But when the studio is faked it essentially falls flat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Nothing really fits thematically in DHS since there is no theme right now. Indy next to Star Wars next to the Muppets next to Toy Story. No way to link the lot together. Then again it's not slowing down Universal. Potter, Jurassic Park and the Hulk together. Throw in Godzilla and we would actually have one heck of a movie. My money would be on the big green guy.

lazyboy97o

Nothing really fits thematically in DHS since there is no theme right now. Indy next to Star Wars next to the Muppets next to Toy Story. No way to link the lot together. Then again it's not slowing down Universal. Potter, Jurassic Park and the Hulk together. Throw in Godzilla and we would actually have one heck of a movie. My money would be on the big green guy.
What you describe is Islands of Adventure, a park that follows the Disneyland format of separate lands without an overarching connection. That works because there is a delineation between each that makes this known. And this is the approach that has been taken up Universal. Universal Studios Singapore does have lands and Diagonal Alley and Springfield show how this idea is being brought to Florida. Universal Studios is more name than descriptor as the studio aspect gets removed from the park.

doctornick

I don't think anything really fits into the concept of Pixar Place. There is nothing I see in the Pixar film that suggests that these stories all take place in the same universe. Yes, there are common Easter eggs, but I see nothing to indicate that Andy knows of Mr. incredible, was visited by Monsters Inc. or could hear the story of Merida. This is further complicated by the giant toys that populate what is supposedly the Pixar facility. Is this version of the Pixar campus just decorated with giant toys? Or is this a studio play set?

I always felt that the way to true them together would be to have Pixar Place conceptually be "where Pixar movies are filmed" and the characters exist, obviously in a whimsical way. After all, this is a Studios park so grouping things by studio actually makes some sense.

lazyboy97o

I always felt that the way to true them together would be to have Pixar Place conceptually be "where Pixar movies are filmed" and the characters exist, obviously in a whimsical way. After all, this is a Studios park so grouping things by studio actually makes some sense.
But that's been tried. It just doesn't seem to resonate when it's faked.

jt04

But that's been tried. It just doesn't seem to resonate when it's faked.

I think because they tried to make the fake seem real rather than fanciful. That was the mistake. If the 'studios' were imagineered in the manner of a toontown then I think it could work.

lazyboy97o

I think because they tried to make the fake seem real rather than fanciful. That was the mistake. If the 'studios' were imagineered in the manner of a toontown then I think it could work.
But wouldn't it just be better to be in ToonTown versus on a set or something?

jt04

But wouldn't it just be better to be in ToonTown versus on a set or something?

Great question. My toontown for a 'studios' park would have a "real" storyline. The residences (bungalows, apartments, cottages etc.) would be what you would expect in any toontown but the backstory would be about the characters living there while working. Very much as the subject was handled in the Roger Rabbit movie. This would be immersive and entertaining and add a sense of place.

This would add a coherence to the DHS that DCA somewhat lacks. For now anyway.

YodaMan

Great question. My toontown for a 'studios' park would have a "real" storyline. The residences (bungalows, apartments, cottages etc.) would be what you would expect in any toontown but the backstory would be about the characters living there while working. Very much as the subject was handled in the Roger Rabbit movie. This would be immersive and entertaining and add a sense of place.

^this. I kinda wish they sold the idea of Pixar Place in this way. I still remember in the early days of Pixar when they would do "bloopers" during the credits that made it clear that these characters were truly actors filming a movie. I wish Pixar Place were essentially the studios in which Pixar made movies, and the various "actors" from the films sort of hung out around there.

lazyboy97o

Your just describing a different aesthetic for Pixar Place, a better looking studio intending to hide the lack of anything happening. How do you pretend that cartoon characters are filming the way they did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

jt04

Your just describing a different aesthetic for Pixar Place, a better looking studio intending to hide the lack of anything happening. How do you pretend that cartoon characters are filming the way they did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I would continue with the 'campus' setting as they have already started. Lots of brick and landscaping then add the venues. The backstory being more subtle and more a state of mind than a physical setting. With venues that guests sort of discover on their own when walking around the "Pixar Campus". Characters would be seen wandering the area apparently going from point A to point B as if working. Cars characters parked in spaces to provide photo ops etc.

This only works if they do decide to concentrate Pixar in a specific land. Which is what I would like to see rather than forcing them into every park. I did like the SSE projection as long as it is a promotion only.

djlaosc

Only thing I can think of is, in various places (for example, in between each building), they could have a video wall with "barriers" to keep the non-actors (guests) "off the set" (so that people don't go right to the wall and "spoil the illusion") and they are just one long film that seems to continue all day (eg, there's a hair and make-up chair, Cruella de Vil sits in it, gets her hair/make up done, and then leaves the chair. Then, after a few minutes, Cinderella sits in the chair, gets her hair/make up done, and so on...)

Wikkler

Has The Walt Disney Company really come to the point where it needs to clone entire theme parks? That would be a new low of unoriginality for them.

A movie theme park can work. It has worked elsewhere (several miles away from DHS, in fact). They just need to invest in it.

Magic Kingdom - Clone of Disneyland
Tokyo Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland & Magic Kingdom
Disneyland Paris - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, & Tokyo Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, & Disneyland Paris
Shanghai Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, & Hong Kong Disneyland
Proposed: WestCOT - Clone of Epcot
Walt Disney Studios Park - Clone of Disney's Hollywood Studios

BryceM

Magic Kingdom - Clone of Disneyland
Tokyo Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland & Magic Kingdom
Disneyland Paris - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, & Tokyo Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, & Disneyland Paris
Shanghai Disneyland - Clone of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, & Hong Kong Disneyland
Proposed: WestCOT - Clone of Epcot
Walt Disney Studios Park - Clone of Disney's Hollywood Studios
But then that leaves Epcot, Disney California Adventure, Toyko DisneySea and Disney's Animal Kingdom. Though, none of the Magic Kingdom clones are exactly the same, and that's a good things.

BryceM

What you describe is Islands of Adventure, a park that follows the Disneyland format of separate lands without an overarching connection. That works because there is a delineation between each that makes this known. And this is the approach that has been taken up Universal. Universal Studios Singapore does have lands and Diagonal Alley and Springfield show how this idea is being brought to Florida. Universal Studios is more name than descriptor as the studio aspect gets removed from the park.
Exactly. It bothers me when people say that it's a bad thing that Islands of Adventure does not have a single theme tying the park together. Been to Magic Kingdom recently? Not saying that that's a bad thing, as I don't think that single park theme is all that necessary. Like you said, as long as a distinction between the lands is made, then there really isn't a problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. It bothers me when people say that it's a bad thing that Islands of Adventure does not have a single theme tying the park together. Been to Magic Kingdom recently? Not saying that that's a bad thing, as I don't think that single park theme is all that necessary. Like you said, as long as a distinction between the lands is made, then there really isn't a problem.

I agree with you 100% and I wasn't saying I thought it was a problem for IOA. Exactly the opposite. IOA should be used as a model for a potential remake of DHS. The way IOA has done it shows that you can incorporate many different movies and characters that are completely unrelated and make it into a mostly seamless park. No reason DHS can't do it too.

lazyboy97o

I agree with you 100% and I wasn't saying I thought it was a problem for IOA. Exactly the opposite. IOA should be used as a model for a potential remake of DHS. The way IOA has done it shows that you can incorporate many different movies and characters that are completely unrelated and make it into a mostly seamless park. No reason DHS can't do it too.
Except this means totally ditching the studio concept. Despite its brief time named Universal Studios Islands of Adventure, the park never had a studio angle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom